Canada Kicks Ass
Ontario Progressive Conservative leader wants carbon pricing

1  2  Next

BeaverFever @ Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:24 pm

$1:

Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown wants carbon pricing

OTTAWA – Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown says he’s in favour of putting a price on carbon to help deal with climate change, but he’s still no fan of the Liberals’ cap-and-trade plan.

In prepared remarks for his keynote address to more than 1,600 PC convention delegates Saturday, Brown said the official opposition party must change if it wants to form government in 2018, and told delegates he became a Progressive Conservative because of the environment.

“Climate change is a fact, It is a threat. It is man made,” he told the party faithful.

“We have to do something about it, and that something includes putting a price on carbon.”

READ MORE: Ontario Progressive Conservatives plan to change strategy for 2018 election

However, unlike the Liberals’ cap-and-trade plan, which is expected to pull in $1.9 billion in revenues in its first full year, Brown said any price on carbon should be revenue neutral.

“Here in Ontario, we have a cap-and-trade cash grab that is simply another Liberal slush fund,” he said.
Brown, who won the PC leadership in May, 2014, vowed not to repeat the election campaign mistakes of previous party leaders, whom he did not name.

“Never again will our candidates and volunteers have to defend faith-based funding or 100,000 job cuts at the front doors of Ontario voters,” he said.

Earlier Saturday, the Tories laid out their plans to change tactics for the 2018 election and campaign hard in every riding instead of focusing only on ridings they feel they can win.

The once-mighty Tories abandoned wide swaths of the province and alienated would-be Conservative voters simply by targeting only “winnable” ridings, at their first convention under new leader Patrick Brown, campaign organizer Walied Soliman told delegates .

“Patrick Brown does not believe in target seats,” he said. “Under our plan there is no Liberal safe seat in Ontario. We have 122 target seats in 2018.”
Soliman told the PC delegates that the party that last held power in 2003 had lost its way and needed to take a new approach to winning the next election.

“Ethnic and faith-based communities … didn’t even know if we were interested in their votes,” said Soliman. “Party members were disillusioned by fake policy processes, and most disturbingly, by a feeling that we were not winners.”

The PC party also announced an extensive consultation of party members to develop their platform for the 2018 Ontario election, and said they would open nominations in January 2017, about 18 months ahead of voting day.

“We’re going to be ready in every God damn riding in this province,” said Soliman.
The Liberals said they weren’t worried about the Conservatives’ new election strategy under Brown.

“I look at what he’s been trying to do for the past 18 months and the radical group he surrounded himself for his leadership campaign, and now trying to bring a moderate approach … I’m sorry, not at all,” said Liberal MPP Marie-France Lalonde.

The Progressive Conservatives said they have grown to just under 80,000 members, and Brown wants to raise that to at least 100,000 members before the election.

The Progressive Conservatives also unveiled a new party logo Saturday, which merges a red P and a blue C with a green leaf joining the two letters.

The delegates also heard a rambling, 35-minute motivational speech by former Toronto Argonauts player and coach Mike “Pinball” Clemons, who party officials said declined his speaking fee as an endorsement of Brown. Clemons left the Ottawa convention centre before reporters could ask if he plans to run for the Tories in the 2018 election.

© The Canadian Press, 2016

http://globalnews.ca/news/2559705/ontar ... ick-brown/

You see, that's the thing about Canadian conservatives, whenever there's a new idea or truth, they instinctively reject it and attack it because they're afraid of change but you just have to wait them out. Eventually the truth always wins. 5 years from now they'll pretend it was their idea all along. Remember how opposed they were to same-sex marriage in the early 2000's now they're like "oh, somebody was against gay marriage? That's news to me."

OnTheIce @ Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:27 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

You see, that's the thing about Canadian conservatives, whenever there's a new idea or truth, they instinctively reject it and attack it because they're afraid of change but you just have to wait them out. Eventually the truth always wins. 5 years from now they'll pretend it was their idea all along. Remember how opposed they were to same-sex marriage in the early 2000's now they're like "oh, somebody was against gay marriage? That's news to me."

Did Patrick Brown previously deny climate change?

Remember how opposed some Liberal MP's were to gay marriage as well?

Your stereotypes are showing.

BeaverFever @ Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:27 pm

Oh and here's the new party logo:

BeaverFever @ Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:29 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Did Patrick Brown previously deny climate change?

Remember how opposed some Liberal MP's were to gay marriage as well?

Your stereotypes are showing.

I'm talking about the party's position as a whole, not individual members

OnTheIce @ Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:35 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

I'm talking about the party's position as a whole, not individual members

The parties position comes from the leader and his/her vision.

You're taking shots at a guy that's not deserving of shots.

Then again, if I was an Ontario Liberal supporter, I'd be a little worried too.

BeaverFever @ Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:43 pm

$1:
You're taking shots at a guy that's not deserving of shots.

Well he's such an unknown, on climate change, who knows how he feels. PCs do have a chance if they play to the centre rather than the extreme, let's see if that will work.

I note that as a Harper MP he was a social conservative who voted to repeal same-sex marriage and various other anti-gay bills. And during his recent OPC leadership race he he was responsible for all that sex education alarmist nonsense, cozying up to fundamentalist Muslims and other religious nutters, mostly from the ethnic community.

Let's see whether the PCs can be smart instead of stupid for once.

BartSimpson @ Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:46 pm

You know, if only Canadians paid high enough taxes on their petrol we could end climate change!

You people should pay at least $50 per litre carbon tax to make sure climate change ends in Canada. :wink:

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:58 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
$1:

Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown wants carbon pricing

OTTAWA – Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown says he’s in favour of putting a price on carbon to help deal with climate change, but he’s still no fan of the Liberals’ cap-and-trade plan.

In prepared remarks for his keynote address to more than 1,600 PC convention delegates Saturday, Brown said the official opposition party must change if it wants to form government in 2018, and told delegates he became a Progressive Conservative because of the environment.

“Climate change is a fact, It is a threat. It is man made,” he told the party faithful.

“We have to do something about it, and that something includes putting a price on carbon.”

READ MORE: Ontario Progressive Conservatives plan to change strategy for 2018 election

However, unlike the Liberals’ cap-and-trade plan, which is expected to pull in $1.9 billion in revenues in its first full year, Brown said any price on carbon should be revenue neutral.

“Here in Ontario, we have a cap-and-trade cash grab that is simply another Liberal slush fund,” he said.
Brown, who won the PC leadership in May, 2014, vowed not to repeat the election campaign mistakes of previous party leaders, whom he did not name.

“Never again will our candidates and volunteers have to defend faith-based funding or 100,000 job cuts at the front doors of Ontario voters,” he said.

Earlier Saturday, the Tories laid out their plans to change tactics for the 2018 election and campaign hard in every riding instead of focusing only on ridings they feel they can win.

The once-mighty Tories abandoned wide swaths of the province and alienated would-be Conservative voters simply by targeting only “winnable” ridings, at their first convention under new leader Patrick Brown, campaign organizer Walied Soliman told delegates .

“Patrick Brown does not believe in target seats,” he said. “Under our plan there is no Liberal safe seat in Ontario. We have 122 target seats in 2018.”
Soliman told the PC delegates that the party that last held power in 2003 had lost its way and needed to take a new approach to winning the next election.

“Ethnic and faith-based communities … didn’t even know if we were interested in their votes,” said Soliman. “Party members were disillusioned by fake policy processes, and most disturbingly, by a feeling that we were not winners.”

The PC party also announced an extensive consultation of party members to develop their platform for the 2018 Ontario election, and said they would open nominations in January 2017, about 18 months ahead of voting day.

“We’re going to be ready in every God damn riding in this province,” said Soliman.
The Liberals said they weren’t worried about the Conservatives’ new election strategy under Brown.

“I look at what he’s been trying to do for the past 18 months and the radical group he surrounded himself for his leadership campaign, and now trying to bring a moderate approach … I’m sorry, not at all,” said Liberal MPP Marie-France Lalonde.

The Progressive Conservatives said they have grown to just under 80,000 members, and Brown wants to raise that to at least 100,000 members before the election.

The Progressive Conservatives also unveiled a new party logo Saturday, which merges a red P and a blue C with a green leaf joining the two letters.

The delegates also heard a rambling, 35-minute motivational speech by former Toronto Argonauts player and coach Mike “Pinball” Clemons, who party officials said declined his speaking fee as an endorsement of Brown. Clemons left the Ottawa convention centre before reporters could ask if he plans to run for the Tories in the 2018 election.

© The Canadian Press, 2016

http://globalnews.ca/news/2559705/ontar ... ick-brown/

You see, that's the thing about politicians in general, regardless of stripe. They just don't fucking care. Like all the experts worldwide who've stated that a carbon tax NEEDS to be revenue neutral. But apparently, the same group of idiots who have grossly mismanaged the provincial budget for over a decade thinks they know better.
The LPO's carbon plan is nothing more than just another straight up tax grab. Everyone in Ontario who uses fossil fuels (which is pretty much everyone) is being financially punished for the Liberal's fiscal incompetence. The cost of food will increase as a result, as will consumer goods as well as other goods and services. All so the retards in the LPO can try and get a fresh infusion of cash while pretending they're actually doing something about climate change.
You can't prevent the inevitable, no matter how much money you throw at it.

Lemmy @ Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:09 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
The LPO's carbon plan is nothing more than just another straight up tax grab.

How do you know that? Can you post it so we can all see where it says that?

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
You can't prevent the inevitable, no matter how much money you throw at it.

Fortunately there are people in the world who embrace challenges instead of just quitting at the first sign of hard work.

andyt @ Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:09 am

Why does a carbon tax NEED to be revenue neutral?

Lemmy @ Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:18 am

andyt andyt:

It doesn't, but most of us feel like we pay enough tax, so it'd be a hell of an easier sell if it were crafted in such a way.

DrCaleb @ Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:23 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
andyt andyt:

It doesn't, but most of us feel like we pay enough tax, so it'd be a hell of an easier sell if it were crafted in such a way.

That's one reason I preferred Cap and Trade. Set an upper limit, then reduce the 'Cap' every so often to force the reductions needed. Then you don't have to be seen as constantly raising a 'tax' to get the reductions.

Lemmy @ Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:49 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
That's one reason I preferred Cap and Trade. Set an upper limit, then reduce the 'Cap' every so often to force the reductions needed. Then you don't have to be seen as constantly raising a 'tax' to get the reductions.

Cap and Trade systems have been more successful in "bubbles", localized areas with specific pollutants and a small number of industrial polluters. Can you imagine the complexity of a system where every user of carbon is trading their permits? Also, Cap and Trade has, historically, worked better with water pollution than air pollution. I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think the enormity of creating a carbon-use incentive system might dictate that it will have to be a straight tax for matters of practicality.

BeaverFever @ Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:56 am

$1:
Can you imagine the complexity of a system where every user of carbon is trading their permits?

How would that be more complex than the modern stock exchange?

DrCaleb @ Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:09 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
$1:
Can you imagine the complexity of a system where every user of carbon is trading their permits?

How would that be more complex than the modern stock exchange?

Lemmy has a point. It would be much more complex. How do I measure and then report the amount of CO2 my lawnmower uses? Can I then sell credits if I go with an electric, rechargeable or cylinder type mower? What about my car? Or a company that operates hundreds of mining trucks?

It would be easier to put a tax on fuel that everyone pays.

1  2  Next