Canada Kicks Ass
Volunteering?

SteveK @ Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:41 pm

I've had some spare time in the summer, so I just wanted to volunteer and help people out. The thing is that I'm having trouble looking for a suitable position. I'd prefer to do something physically involved.

I was thinking about helping out the MealsOnWheels here in Toronto as a driver. I figured that since I have a car, I may as well make use of it.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of work? Because I don't want to make a commitment to help out and end up regretting it.

Or does anyone have any other suggestions? If you live in the GTA, being specific would help, but general advice/suggestions are also appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help. I'm almost 19, if it helps.

Benn @ Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:29 am

Consider Inner-City youth drop ins? Most play some type of sports so you will get to help them have a safe spot off the street for the night and provide good examples (I assume since I don't know you lol) plus it will fulfill your need for a physical endeavor.

Also is a good life experience to see things in that type of world and it really is a whole different world to what most of us are used to or think it's like.

Not for the faint of heart though, it can be the both the most disturbing and rewarding experience both at the same time.