Canada Kicks Ass
Bart's treatment for a novel.

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

bootlegga @ Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:51 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Anyway, keep us updated. You'll be writer number four here (that we know of)

As promised here's the update:

My fifth (f*cking) draft has been accepted for editing by Penguin and I'm supposed to be receiving a modest advance by the end of February. After editing a decision will be made on publishing as an e-book or as a paperback and I've been told that there's a 95% chance it'll be an ebook. I'm also told that the book can be placed on 'hold' for an opportune market condition like how political books can be held for release prior to elections.

Not quite published yet but at least this is something.

Writing is re-writing Bart. As Hemingway supposedly said, "The first draft of everything is shit." :lol:

You can probably expect another re-write or two in the editing stage...still, congrats on getting a deal.

Now you need to get your ass in gear and build an author platform as well as a follow-up and/or some short stories.

BartSimpson @ Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks, guys! And, yeah, I'll probably post some short stories (5000 to 15000 words) if I end up with an ebook page on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

commanderkai @ Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:04 pm

I've been trying to write a scifi novel, but I started it back when I was 15, so, rereading it makes it feel so amateur. Man, the life of a novelist. :lol:

Good luck Bart with your publishing.

xerxes @ Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Congrats on getting further than probably a lot of people do Bartman. Good luck for ever more future success.

bootlegga @ Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:40 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Thanks, guys! And, yeah, I'll probably post some short stories (5000 to 15000 words) if I end up with an ebook page on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

That's all part of your author platform.

Once your book is ready to order on Amazon, go here to create your Author page;

https://authorcentral.amazon.com/gp/lan ... entries*=0

Then create an author page on Goodreads (the go-to place for readers and authors IMHO). You probably should get a head start on this and start surfing Goodreads, looking for books, people, authors to follow/friend.

http://www.goodreads.com/

You might want to start a blog and some sort of social media presence too. Twitter and/or a Facebook page are the bare minimum for most. Depending on your interests, you could also do Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest, Flickr, etc.

P.S. if you self-publish your short stories (check with Penguin to see if they will allow it, it may not be allowed in your contract), then you can create your author pages now - just make sure to get the professionally edited and a decent cover made. Otherwise, you might kill off your budding career before it gets off the ground. If you can't/don't want to self-publish, submit them to anthologies listed on places like Ralan or Duotrope (or find submission calls on your own).

DrCaleb @ Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:40 pm

"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." Robert Heinlein

BartSimpson @ Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:54 pm

:lol:

desertdude @ Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:43 pm

I know there's good money to be made here because a friends daughter who happens to be Canadian while studying in the US got a book published and was paid around $ 150,000 for it, I almost cried when my friend told me she is going to donate all that money to charity.

Ever since then my buddy has been trying to write a book and get it picked up but hasn't been able to so far. Mostly because his writing sucks.

BartSimpson @ Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:09 pm

desertdude desertdude:
I know there's good money to be made here because a friends daughter who happens to be Canadian while studying in the US got a book published and was paid around $ 150,000 for it, I almost cried when my friend told me she is going to donate all that money to charity.

Ever since then my buddy has been trying to write a book and get it picked up but hasn't been able to so far. Mostly because his writing sucks.

There's a particular charity in Scotland that will certainly be receiving a large donation from me...

[BB]

Thanos @ Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Write one about the USMC versus C'thulhu. 8)

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:26 pm

he`d use Marines to floss.

herbie @ Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Write one about the USMC versus C'thulhu. 8)

A communist C'thulhu terrorizing them in a church. On the 4th of July. And everyone who has premarital sex dies, and the puppy gets rescued in the end.
It'll be a best seller as a movie script.
Or you can sell it to Dean Koontz and he can pretend it's his....

saturn_656 @ Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:23 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
he`d use Marines to floss.

That or we end up with one or two new ways to prepare squid.

stratos @ Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:27 am

Congrats Bart, sounds like an interesting read. Keep us updated for when we should start looking for it either on the Ebooks or paper back. Now how about telling us the Title of the book. :lol:

Regina @ Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:59 am

8) 8) [B-o]

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next