Canada Kicks Ass
Zipperfish Embarks on Literary Career

1  2  3  4  5 ... 10  Next

Zipperfish @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:52 pm

Well, this is kind of giving away my secret identity but...

I've been on parental leave for a while, so I decided it would be a good time to take up writing again, something I used to enjoy. I'm proud to announce my very first publication in AstoundingTales.com. Moreover, my story won the Editor's Choice for best science fiction story of this month (December 2005).

So, if you're so inclined, please surf on over and read "Foiled Again." You can also rate the story if you see fit, or comment on it here.

Thanks all.

Cheers

Dayseed @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:24 pm

I enjoyed it. I thought it was a clever, Alan Moorish type tale. Personally, I would have thought it better to have left it with the paranoid conspiratorial human winning out, rather than have him being an object of manipulation, however, that's just one person's opinion.

Good job!

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:42 pm

nice one. Interesting how you incorporated Scape into the story :wink: .

Zipperfish @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:59 pm

While certainly not the primary motiviation, I'd be lying if I said that Scape didn't cross my mind at some point during the story's drafting!

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:02 pm

Scape as a muse, there's a story all in itself. Once again, nice story and congrats.

DrCaleb @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:21 pm

Can I have your autograph, before you invent your own religion? ;)

Congrats!

ziggy @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:44 pm

At least this time Zip didnt have an onion on his belt. :lol:

Mustang1 @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:07 pm

I’m a huge sci-fi junkie and I enjoyed your work. Extremely interesting premise – I’d be interested in reading other stuff as well. Thanks for the link. 8)

Zipperfish @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:37 pm

lily lily:
I've always enjoyerd your writing, Zip. This stry totally lived up to expectations.

Well done. ;)

Thanks Lily!

Zipperfish @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:45 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
I’m a huge sci-fi junkie and I enjoyed your work. Extremely interesting premise – I’d be interested in reading other stuff as well. Thanks for the link. 8)

Thanks Mustang! Actually I sold three pieces this month, which is awesome. I think I may have made enough money for the double cheezeburger meal at Mickey D's.

One is a poem -- a (hopefully) funny ballad about a con man who tries to swindle the Grim Reaper. The other is a good old fashioned ghost story. I'll let you guys know when they go up. Hopefully, I'll have a couple more sci-fi sales over the next few months too -- I'm shopping a couple of stories around.

Then I can move up to some better paying magazines (Analog and such), then the big first novel with the six-figure advance and then, maybe, I'll start the religion!

Zipperfish @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:48 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Can I have your autograph, before you invent your own religion? ;)

Congrats!

Why not? L. Ron Hubbard did it. I've never even read one of his books -- except for Dianetics (the Scientology one) and I didn't get all the way through.

Scape @ Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:02 am

PDT_Armataz_01_37 *sneezes* oops...

Zipperfish @ Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:26 pm

Hi Folks,

My ballad "Jim and the Reaper Grim" is up at the The Fifth Di.... It's a short (and hopefully) entertaining read about a con-man who tries to swindle the Grim Reaper.

Cheers

Zip

Zipperfish @ Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:39 pm

Thanks Lily. Mighty nice of you to say. Now all I have to do is write a novel for which the publishers will give me a six-figure advance! Well, I can dream, anyway.

Zipperfish @ Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:32 pm

I realize that I'm fast wearing out my welcome here, but my third story sale of December is now up on AlienSkin Magazine:

AlienSkin Magazine

It's in the horror fiction section and it's called "Photo Finish." It's a ghost story about a photographer that snaps a haunting photograph.

Thanks all.

Zip.

1  2  3  4  5 ... 10  Next