Canada Kicks Ass
Another banner day for the RCMP

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

2Cdo @ Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:35 pm

andyt andyt:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Why don't you read the report instead of getting your info from the media?

Because I don't think the report says what I want it to say.

The editing is my read on what you really meant to say. Everything after that is pablum.

andyt @ Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:37 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
andyt andyt:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Because I don't think the report says what I want it to say.

The editing is my read on what you really meant to say. Everything after that is pablum.

Fair enough, and next time a report doesn't agree with what you believe I can use the same argument.

2Cdo @ Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:38 pm

andyt andyt:
Fair enough, and next time a report doesn't agree with what you believe I can use the same argument.

If that happens, fair enough.

Choban @ Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:28 pm

uwish uwish:
Unfortunately, the recruiting process for the RCMP has indeed dropped it's standard. I have no knowledge of the RCMP hiring anyone who was under 25 years old about a decade ago. They would say get more life experience and come back, plus, you almost always required some form of post secondary eduction. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. So there could be an argument that the increased number of 'incidents' is related to their relaxed recruiting process. Of course, that is all subjective but it seems to me that the vast majority of all these incidents involving RCMP misconduct is coming from members under 30 and under 25 in particular.

Just a thought.

I got to think there is a reason for this, such as nice upstanding citizens not applying to work for the RCMP, or the fact that the majority of the workforce these days is under 30, I myself wouldn't blame the RCMP for adjusting their recruiting practices to meet their needs, now having said that perhaps standards should be a little higher, but as has been pointed out the whole force shouldn't be judged on the actions of a few bad seeds.

Zipperfish @ Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:34 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Better yet, read the report and get infomration from the media. Initial media reports for Dzienkski were far more accurate than initial police reports.

EyeBrock @ Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Yea, the media are a soild and consistent, reliable source of facts.

Dayseed @ Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:50 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Yea, the media are a soild and consistent, reliable source of facts.

I find it weird that the CBC and the MSM (hey, I know a shorthand term the crazies use!) are derided when it comes to reporting politics, but when it comes to reporting politically charged police incidents, they suddenly become bastions of truth and infallibility.

I think AndyT should change his avatar to the Orioles. Socked around by everybody including 11 straight from the Jays. Currently heading towards 12.

Zipperfish @ Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:35 pm

Dayseed Dayseed:

But they didn't. Koester gave an account THE NEXT DAY of what happened AND he was compelled to be a witness against himself, in violation of his Charter rights, in doing so!

Are you referring to the Duty to Account? If that is the case, Koester was not compelled. The Duty to Account is a requirement of his job. Had he quit his job on the spot, there would be no compulsion to conform with the Duty To Account, since it applies to members only.

Dayseed @ Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:19 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Dayseed Dayseed:

But they didn't. Koester gave an account THE NEXT DAY of what happened AND he was compelled to be a witness against himself, in violation of his Charter rights, in doing so!

Are you referring to the Duty to Account? If that is the case, Koester was not compelled. The Duty to Account is a requirement of his job. Had he quit his job on the spot, there would be no compulsion to conform with the Duty To Account, since it applies to members only.

That is what I am referring to. And there is a compulsion; keeping your job. I trust your definition of compulsion isn't simply limited to jailtime or fines.

Zipperfish @ Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:34 am

Dayseed Dayseed:
That is what I am referring to. And there is a compulsion; keeping your job. I trust your definition of compulsion isn't simply limited to jailtime or fines.

No legal compulsion though, therefore no Charter violation.

andyt @ Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:34 am

$1:
Independent investigation of police incidents is overdue

The Ian Bush police shooting inquest not only put the RCMP under a cloud, it made the coroners service look like lapdogs.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=4593c357-5e9c-4bea-a7b4-63470f33d4fd&k=92020
Yep, where is DaVinci when we need him? And why is the BC govt so reluctant to put in an arms length investigator of police incidents? Braidwood recommended that the Ombudsman's office would be the proper home for this. BC accepted all his recommendations except this one - is mulling about keeping it with the Police Commission, which is hardly arm's length. Why? What's wrong with having a truly independent invesitigator?

Dayseed @ Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:43 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Dayseed Dayseed:

Okay, I see what you're getting at. You're right, my statement was overzealous and legally incorrect.

uwish @ Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:03 pm

Choban Choban:
uwish uwish:
Unfortunately, the recruiting process for the RCMP has indeed dropped it's standard. I have no knowledge of the RCMP hiring anyone who was under 25 years old about a decade ago. They would say get more life experience and come back, plus, you almost always required some form of post secondary eduction. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. So there could be an argument that the increased number of 'incidents' is related to their relaxed recruiting process. Of course, that is all subjective but it seems to me that the vast majority of all these incidents involving RCMP misconduct is coming from members under 30 and under 25 in particular.

Just a thought.

I got to think there is a reason for this, such as nice upstanding citizens not applying to work for the RCMP, or the fact that the majority of the workforce these days is under 30, I myself wouldn't blame the RCMP for adjusting their recruiting practices to meet their needs, now having said that perhaps standards should be a little higher, but as has been pointed out the whole force shouldn't be judged on the actions of a few bad seeds.

fair comment. Perhaps we are just seeing more reporting of these bad apples than previous which makes it appear there are more incidents than previous. Like I said, very subjective and difficult to weed through the levels.

Zipperfish @ Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Dayseed Dayseed:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Dayseed Dayseed:

Okay, I see what you're getting at. You're right, my statement was overzealous and legally incorrect.

Nice to see some intellectual honesty on here. Good on you. I'm sure it won't be long before I'm repaying the favour!

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6