Canada Kicks Ass
Drunk driving laws to be made stricter in Saskatchewan

1  2  3  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:19 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon ... -1.3828344

About time. In too many places, too many people think it's OK to get shit faced and or stoned, and get behind the wheel. It seems to be everywhere.

Lemmy @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:47 am

It is everywhere. And most people get to where they're going without incident. It's a victimless crime until there's a crash. So why not reserve punishment for those who crash?

bootlegga @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:00 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/drunk-driving-laws-sask-oct-30-2016-1.3828344

About time. In too many places, too many people think it's OK to get shit faced and or stoned, and get behind the wheel. It seems to be everywhere.

R=UP

Yep, some drunk asshole killed a mother of two during rush hour last week, but anyone want to bet that he won't get punished anywhere near as hard as the victim's family?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3819799

Lemmy @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:54 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Yep, some drunk asshole killed a mother of two during rush hour last week, but anyone want to bet that he won't get punished anywhere near as hard as the victim's family?

No defendant is ever punished sufficiently from the victim's perspective. Are you preferring we go to "an eye for an eye" justice?

In any case, the article is a bit misleading. Impaired driving is a criminal offence and, therefore, a matter of federal, not provincial, legislation. So it's not entirely clear what Saskatchewan (or any province) can or can't do with respect to impaired driving. Provincial powers only extend to provincial driving offences.

andyt @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:59 am

Maybe Sask. is going for what BC already has - license suspensions based on .05 roadside test. Quick and dirty, lots of complaints that it doesn't meet the charter, but supposedly effective. It's not a criminal penalty, so falls under the purview of the province.

The point of drunk driving laws is to make the driver not even consider driving drunk because of the penalties he can incur. Remove those penalties, and even more idiots will drive drunk because they are sure they won't have an accident. Drunk driving greatly increases the odds of having a crash, endangering everybody. It's idiotic to only go after them if they have an accident. Like saying it's OK to randomly fire a gun down the street, but only get punished if you hit somebody.

Lemmy @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:30 am

1. I get the deterrence argument. But people who are drunk don't "consider" things...because they're drunk.
2. Amending laws/practices to target the least dangerous drinkers on the road (ie 0.05ers) seems like attacking the problem from the wrong end. Shouldn't we going after the very impaired rather than the mildly impaired? Surely people at 0.05 don't, by and large, present a danger.
3. Your comparison to gun fire on a street is apples and oranges.

The problem I have with the majority of our impaired driving legislation is it's completely arbitrary. 0.05 or 0.08 are arbitrary. Some are impaired at 0.08, some not. Maybe a driver who's had a few beers will drive extra-carefully, slow down, knowing that he's had a few. That person might be safer than every sober driver out there who's speeding, texting, not paying attention, whatever.

But what really bothers me is that a good driver who is impaired is a safer driver than a bad driver who is sober. What we should be doing is looking for bad driving and removing bad drivers. If they're driving badly because they're drunk, take away their license. If they're driving badly because they're just bad drivers, take away their license. If we got the bad drivers off the road, there's less chance that they'll crash into someone driving home from the bar after a few beers.

The reality is that WAY TOO MANY people are allowed to drive. Licensing should be much more restrictive and those who are licensed ought to have much stricter testing and ongoing training and testing. Handing a license to a 16 year old and sending them loose on the streets with no further testing or proof of ability is ridiculous. When it comes to driving laws and enforcement, this is one area where I welcome Big Brother. I wish some eye-in-the-sky was watching all drivers. If that were the case, we wouldn't need arbitrary impairment standards because all that would matter would be quality of driving.

andyt @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:37 am

1. Certainly not that cut and dried. I drove drunk many times, certainly considered getting caught. So do most people who aren't totally out of it.

2. Wow, you've fallen into the rightie trap. Is that really your reasoning, that because they set the level at .05 they only go after people people that are mildly impaired? Really?

3. Not apples and oranges at all. Similar incidents of doing something that heightens the likelihood of somebody being harmed. As long as they're not, not problem, eh?

Thanos @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:42 am

An Edmonton judge just put away for eight years some loser who was high on meth, t-boned a taxi, killed one, and injured three more. I don't see why someone on alcohol who does the same thing gets a much lighter sentence, like six months suspended for killing someone just because it was a first offense or because alcohol is legal but meth isn't . This is where the intent argument, i.e. if there was no intention to cause harm then the offense isn't as great, really made a mockery of the law. If the result is that someone is still dead or crippled for life due to the selfishness of another then what the hell does it matter what their intention was?

We had one in Calgary a few years back where some repeat-offending drunk operating a cement truck literally annihilated an entire family (two adults, three kids) when the impact of his truck with their car blasted the smaller vehicle into a thousand pieces. And when they checked out the cab of his truck it had a bunch of empty vodka bottles in it. Of course he's free now and throughout his five-year sentence there were stories in the papers about his applying for early release because "it was so difficult for him and his family". When someone's that selfish and indifferent to what their addiction and actions could potentially result in then their lack of intent should no longer matter. This is just one of the many examples of how the legal system has gone so wildly off the rails in that basic justice has no chance of occurring because of the deliberate campaign over the years by defense lawyers to remove the concept of personal responsibility from judgments. That the politicians and judges have gone along with so much of this madness is an obscenity.

herbie @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:11 am

$1:
0.05 or 0.08 are arbitrary

.08 is NOT arbitrary. It's a studied, detailed, proven statistical point. More than MOST DRIVERS show provable impairment at that level. That's why it's been the point of reference for all these years.
Add in the reading error factor, they didn't charge you unless you blew OVER 0.10

Here in BC they take your car and license for 24 hrs if you blow over .05. Towing, impound and the like can set you back significant money.

Lemmy @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:22 am

andyt andyt:
1. Certainly not that cut and dried. I drove drunk many times, certainly considered getting caught. So do most people who aren't totally out of it.

Sure. And deterrence has some effect. But once you get to the point of impairment where you're a serious danger, you've already lost the ability to reason.

andyt andyt:
2. Wow, you've fallen into the rightie trap. Is that really your reasoning, that because they set the level at .05 they only go after people people that are mildly impaired? Really?

When they set the level at 0.05, they're going after a significant number people who aren't impaired at all. Laws get struck down all the time when they're too broad. This is a perfect example of that.

andyt andyt:
3. Not apples and oranges at all. Similar incidents of doing something that heightens the likelihood of somebody being harmed. As long as they're not, not problem, eh?

It's still incidental, not causal. There are all kinds of things that heighten the likelihood of someone being harmed that aren't criminalized. What is it about drinking that's special?

herbie herbie:
.08 is NOT arbitrary. It's a studied, detailed, proven statistical point. More than MOST DRIVERS show provable impairment at that level. That's why it's been the point of reference for all these years.
Add in the reading error factor, they didn't charge you unless you blew OVER 0.10

You just proved my point! If it wasn't arbitrary, why are they not charging you at 0.08? Why not just get rid of BAC as evidence? The relevant evidence is evidence about the quality of driving, not the level of alcohol in the blood.

herbie herbie:
Here in BC they take your car and license for 24 hrs if you blow over .05. Towing, impound and the like can set you back significant money.

And that's bullshit. If I'm at 0.05 and taking it easy, why not just let me drive home. If I'm in my lane, obeying the speed limit, etc, what else ought to matter?

herbie @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:17 am

$1:
You just proved my point! If it wasn't arbitrary, why are they not charging you at 0.08?

Read what I posted, they DO! The 0.10 reading is normal as the courts have let too many off as possible machine errors so they aren't wasting court time unless there's no chance of that.
If you "only" blow .08 you're still gonna get at least a 24 hr and your car towed & impounded.

Sorry, but no one's gonna support the 'just let me keep driving at .05' argument. Maybe 20 years ago but the loud crowd (like MADD) would be willing to hang you for driving after a single beer these days.

Lemmy @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:55 am

herbie herbie:
Read what I posted, they DO! The 0.10 reading is normal as the courts have let too many off as possible machine errors so they aren't wasting court time unless there's no chance of that.
If you "only" blow .08 you're still gonna get at least a 24 hr and your car towed & impounded.

Sorry, but no one's gonna support the 'just let me keep driving at .05' argument. Maybe 20 years ago but the loud crowd (like MADD) would be willing to hang you for driving after a single beer these days.

No matter what level they set the BAC level at, that still isn't connected to quality of driving which makes the number, by definition, arbitrary. I maintain that if one is charged with impaired driving, the Crown ought to need evidence of the quality of driving to convict. If someone's driving badly, they should be charged. But to charge them on the basis of BAC alone is disconnected.

And MADD's all over the place with their stats. They publish numbers on how many alcohol-related crashes there are but they don't say anything about who caused the crash or why it occurred. 2 cars crash. One driver had been drinking. Why is it automatically assumed that the crash was the drinking driver's fault? Maybe he was drunk but obeying the rules of the road when a sober BAD driver ran into him? How many people get charged with impaired driving after a crash when it was the OTHER drivers' fault?

MADD says 30% of drivers are impaired. They also say about 450 are killed per year. If that's true, that means millions of people are driving drunk at any given time and only a handful of them crash. That means they're VASTLY exaggerating the danger of impaired driving. If a third of drivers are impaired and most of them are never involved in a crash (let alone causing one), then that tells me that impaired driving isn't a statistically dangerous behaviour. Certainly not dangerous enough to criminalize everyone who does it, when hardly any of them crash.

BartSimpson @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:01 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/drunk-driving-laws-sask-oct-30-2016-1.3828344

I still want driving while using a cell phone to be the same as a DUI. I really don't care why someone's a bad driver and why they killed someone else, I want the punishments to be the same.

rickc @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:29 pm

I have a problem with one part of this article. Andrew Murie (the CEO of MADD Canada) is proposing that the Province establish a zero tolerance for alcohol for people under age 22. I call bullshit. Either one is an adult legally responsible for their decisions, or they are not. There should be no grey area here. If someone is old enough to die for King and country, than they are old enough to consume alcoholic beverages. If someone is old enough to consume alcoholic beverages than the same rules of impairment that apply to everyone else should apply to them as well. Its not fair that someone 20 years old could be serving in the military at CFB Moose Jaw, and they have a different set of laws for impairment than someone a couple of years older than them.There should be no "second class citizens" when it comes to the laws. We have way to much of this horseshit in the States. Adults under the age of 21 get arrested for possession of alcohol. They get arrested and go to adult jail. They go to adult court. They get adult criminal records. The official charge is minor in possession. If they are a minor, than what are they doing in adult court? Why aren't they in juvenile court if they are a minor? This two tier system of being an adult has caused millions of otherwise law abiding citizens to have an adult criminal conviction on their record. The government never misses an opportunity to gain some revenue by running people through the legal mill. There are police in the States whose sole purpose in life is generating revenue through minor in possession charges as evidenced by the following video:

This whole series of videos is nothing but cops busting people who are doing nothing but having a good time. They are not bothering anyone. There are no noise complaints being called in. No assault complaints being called in. Just a dickhead cop hasseling people, and generating revenue for the state to justify his employment.

If someone is old enough to drink than they are old enough to be make their own decisions (right or wrong), and they need to be held to the same legal standards as everyone else.

martin14 @ Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:53 pm

rickc rickc:
I have a problem with one part of this article. Andrew Murie (the CEO of MADD Canada) is proposing that the Province establish a zero tolerance for alcohol for people under age 22. I call bullshit. Either one is an adult legally responsible for their decisions, or they are not.

There is something to be said with respect to younger drivers just not having the experience of older drivers, and the combination of alcohol and lesser driving experience, mixed with nighttime driving, and it's just begging for trouble.

Slovakia and other V4 countries are all zero tolerance.
You decide before you go out or crack a bottle if you are going to drive or not.

The only drunk drivers are the ones who are so shit faced they don't care anymore.

I think zero works best. Not much fun for the driver, but life's tough.

1  2  3  Next