Canada Kicks Ass
Kolomeyka(Koлoмийкa)

1  2  3  4  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:59 am

From this years National Ukrainian Festival in Dauphin.

And some good food that leaves me hungry and a little homesick.

Post Factum would feel right at home, but I was wondering if he thinks this guy has a funny accent.

PostFactum @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:33 am

Yes, that's national music from regoion where I grew up, and where I live now, Kolomya, that's the name of the city,(I live in Ivano-Frankivsk) and kolomeyka the name of the songs that are singing in this region. This songs are famous all over Ukraine because of being very hilarious That's great to see, but in motherland Ukraine, this fests are another I can't say what is another, but watching this video I can feel it. Usually in Ukraine on that fests (should say that they are often) you can see all the beauty of this culture. That's sad that because of poverty and non-available stability ukrainians are looking for better life in other countries, or even continents :( Thanks, Canada, for saving our culture [flag]

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:43 am

Across the central prairies plenty of the older folks still speak Ukrainian.....with an accent that sounds like they just got off the beet boat, rather than having lived in Canada for 3 - 4 generations. When I was a kid you often heard more Ukrainian in the Co-op than English. Orthodox Christmas was a day off from school. Most of my friends(and family...in-laws) of ukrainian descent now only speak a few words...but they are also the ones sending their kids to Ukrainian immersion. The Ukrainian Catholics and Orthodox churches are both presnt their. If you want, I can link you up through face book with some of them.

PostFactum @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:49 am

You're part of Ukraine too=)) Yes, thanks, I'll be happy))

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:18 am

Was just wondering what the bottom guy's accent sounded like to you. Is it a regional one or is it a foreign one?

PostFactum @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:17 am

Native for 60%, more-less. But I think his parents are from Ukraine or he has lived in Canada for a long time, he thinks like Canadian with speaking, doesn't feels the word dependings, and speaks too slow in ukrainian.

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:41 am

Chances are his great grand parents or older came from the Ukraine. They started arriving enmasse in 1891. Earlier groups may have come into Manitoba in the 1870s with the Mennonites leaving Russia.

Germans, Scandinavians and Ukrainian settlers(in that order) were brought in to fill the west after the British settlers started to peter out. The Ukrainians were given what the others considered marginal land, but what they saw as a godsend....after a lot of hard work.

After Ukraine and Russia, Canada has the 3rd largest Ukrainian population in the world. They are are in the top 10 largest ethnic groups in Canada and west of Ontario they place 2nd or 3rd across the Prairie Provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. The names Kuchma, Hnatiuk, Puchailo, Hyrchuk, Hudyma Symchych, Holonya, Prokipchuk, Yakimyshyn and Yurkiw(to name a few) are as common in the phone books of Western Canada as Gill, Dillon, Singh, Chen and Wang are in Vancouver. There are also lots of whose name end in -ski and -sky who claim to be Ukrainian too.

PostFactum @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:31 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
There are also lots of whose name end in -ski and -sky who claim to be Ukrainian too.

Not always, they have polish roots=) Yes, the Canada was the second country that in 1991, supported independance of Ukraine.

angler57 @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:19 am

Am a (WOP) Italian by heritage and Southern by birth. But, these are for sure my kind of people.
Full of energy, music and fun.
They would fit right into the Smokey mountain culture.

Thanks for presenting this. Wonderful.

Chumley @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:32 am

Went to the Pysanka festival in Vegreville this summer and it was a blast.
I guess there isn't as much dancing compitition as there used to be in the past but it was still very good in my eyes.
And the party in the nighttime was kickass. All the dancers get out there and show thier stuff freestyle. Flipping amazing what they can do!!

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:09 am

PostFactum PostFactum:
ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
There are also lots of whose name end in -ski and -sky who claim to be Ukrainian too.

Not always, they have polish roots=) Yes, the Canada was the second country that in 1991, supported independance of Ukraine.

Poland's borders shifted a fair bit over the centuries and what we know as western Ukraine today belonged to Poland-Lithuania, Austria, Poland and Russia before its independence.

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:23 am

Anyone else remember this commercial or his restaurants. My mom used to have one of his big perogy makers....I think I may try and get my hand on one or two for Christmas.

martin14 @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:41 am

Better hurry Shep, that ad looks ad like 40 years ago. ;)

No GST, no HST, and only 8.95 !!

:P

Yogi @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:41 am

Chumley Chumley:
Went to the Pysanka festival in Vegreville this summer and it was a blast.
I guess there isn't as much dancing compitition as there used to be in the past but it was still very good in my eyes.
And the party in the nighttime was kickass. All the dancers get out there and show thier stuff freestyle. Flipping amazing what they can do!!

It's always a blast at Pysanka! Ya shoulda let me know you were going to be out this way Chumley. Only living 20 mins from Veg. I get to see a lot of this as there is always some sort of celebration going on around here.This whole area was settled by the Ukranians. I think we have the largest Ukrainian population in the west.

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:55 am

martin14 martin14:
Better hurry Shep, that ad looks ad like 40 years ago. ;)

No GST, no HST, and only 8.95 !!

:P

I think it was about 30 yrs ago. The price from the website is $20.95 now.

http://hunkybill.biz/

So yogi, you're really a MacDonaldchuk?? :lol:

1  2  3  4  Next