Canada Kicks Ass
Manitoba bans smoking in park beaches, playgrounds

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:34 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... nipeg.html

$1:
Manitobans who light up in some areas of provincial parks will soon be slapped with $300 fines.

Conservation Minister Gord Mackintosh said Manitoba is becoming the first province in the country to make beaches and playgrounds in parks smoke-free.

This year, enforcement officers will issue warnings to those caught smoking cigarettes, but by next year, hefty fines will kick in.

Mackintosh said it’s part of the NDP government’s plan to make parks cleaner, saying cigarette butts are toxic, slow to decompose and costly to manage.

Our sand beaches shouldn’t be park ashtrays, and I’ve said here today, jokingly, we only want one kind of butts on our beaches,” said Mackintosh.

This is the part I agree most with. It's gross walking on a beach finding garbage in the sand of any sort.

Lemmy @ Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:18 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:
Our sand beaches shouldn’t be park ashtrays, and I’ve said here today, jokingly, we only want one kind of butts on our beaches,” said Mackintosh.

This is the part I agree most with. It's gross walking on a beach finding garbage in the sand of any sort.

We always spend a couple of weeks of our summer in Maine. They have a similar law, but that doesn't stop the Quebeckers from turning the beautiful sand beach at Old Orchard Beach into a big goddamn butt pit. The Frenchies smoke anywhere they goddamn please with no respect for anyone but themselves. :evil:

Gunnair @ Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:19 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
$1:

We always spend a couple of weeks of our summer in Maine. They have a similar law, but that doesn't stop the Quebeckers from turning the beautiful sand beach at Old Orchard Beach into a big goddamn butt pit. The Frenchies smoke anywhere they goddamn please with no respect for anyone but themselves. :evil:

I wouldn't say smoking shows a lot of self-respect.

Curtman @ Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:39 am

You've been gone a while.. There is a two week window in late June, early July where the beach isn't covered by a thick layer of algae blooms. You'll wish you had the cigarette butts back after that.

Gunnair @ Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:41 am

Curtman Curtman:

You've been gone a while.. There is a two week window in late June, early July where the beach isn't covered by a thick layer of algae blooms. You'll wish you had the cigarette butts back after that.

I doubt that.

Brenda @ Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:43 am

I don't smoke (quit 14 years ago), but if this is about trash, then they should make it about trash. They should prohibit eating gum, drinking bottled water and anything else that produces trash. Which is about everything.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:12 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Curtman Curtman:

I doubt that.

We usually avoided Grand Beach because it was too crowded and dirty. We went to one of three places..Clear Lake(often there were too many people there too)..Duck Mountain Provincial Park(lots of clean lakes) or the Whiteshell...except Falcon Lake(again too many people).