Canada Kicks Ass
Sask. to use notwithstanding clause

ShepherdsDog @ Mon May 01, 2017 12:17 pm

Saskatchewan to use notwithstanding clause to override Catholic school ruling

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.4093835

$1:
The government has said that a recent ruling by the Court of Queen's Bench would force as many as 10,000 non-Catholic students out of separate schools into the public system.

BeaverFever @ Mon May 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Im married to a Catholic school teacher but it's time for us to do away with Catholic schools. They should all just be absorbed by the public boards. Publicly funded schools have no business providing religious indoctrination, that's what churches are for. Ironically, I'll bet that not many of these Catholic school kids who supposedly need DAILY religious instruction at taxpayer expense even go to church every Sunday.

BartSimpson @ Mon May 01, 2017 1:12 pm

The province can adopt a voucher system where parents get a portable education voucher that they can take anywhere they want. That's passed muster with the courts down here because then the government isn't endorsing anything nor is anyone forced to attend any particular school at all.

fifeboy @ Mon May 01, 2017 1:23 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
The province can adopt a voucher system where parents get a portable education voucher that they can take anywhere they want. That's passed muster with the courts down here because then the government isn't endorsing anything nor is anyone forced to attend any particular school at all.

When you pay your property tax in Saskatchewan you are asked if you want your school part of the tax going public or catholic.

BartSimpson @ Mon May 01, 2017 1:29 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

When you pay your property tax in Saskatchewan you are asked if you want your school part of the tax going public or catholic.

Yeah, that's not much of a choice and I can absolutely understand a court ruling it a violation.

Frankly, as it stands I am supporting the court on this one.

BeaverFever @ Mon May 01, 2017 2:43 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

In Ontario ticking that box doesn't affect funding. The province funds boards in both systems on a per student basis.

BeaverFever @ Mon May 01, 2017 5:35 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

The problem with the US voucher agenda is that it's just a right wing scam to defund and dismantle public education and only benefits wealthy people at the expense of everyone else.

"Sorry we're closing your son's public school, here's a voucher that will cover a small portion of the cost of a local private school. You can afford the rest right? If not, we'll still keep one public school open way out on the outskirts of town, but I wouldn't go there if I were you, we'll be making that place a real shithole!"

herbie @ Mon May 01, 2017 7:14 pm

There's one here funded by the Band Office, the School District and the Catholic Church wrking together. If you want your kid in it, you do lots of volunteer and fundraising stuff, it doesn't cost. No problem in my books with some provincial funding, gotta make sure they meet the curriculum, the teachers are qualified, etc.
But fuck the vouchers or full funding. You don't want to use public system, you pay.