Canada Kicks Ass
Winnipeg tries to make third world immigrants feel at home

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:11 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... nipeg.html

$1:
More than one billion litres of the sewage have flowed into the river since Oct. 7 from a Winnipeg waste treatment plant, according to city officials, who have said they are stumped as to how and why one of the treatment processes broke down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

University of Winnipeg biologist Eva Pip, a toxicologist who specializes in water quality, calls the situation "of grave concern."

"It has negative impacts on the Red River and down the line on to Lake Winnipeg because you're dealing not only with organic matter, but also particulate matter," she said.

Pip said the sewage release could not have happened at a worse time, as the Red River has been drawn down for the winter, meaning water levels are at their lowest point.

As a result, the half-treated sewage in the river is not as diluted as it would be in the spring or summer.

The released sewage will only exacerbate an existing nutrient problem in Lake Winnipeg, "especially in winter, when the water is sealed under the ice," Pip said.

"This is only aggravating the problems that we already are seeing," she added.

saturn_656 @ Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:17 pm

Not the first time Winnipeg waste treatment plants have dumped large amounts of sewage into the Red.

Won't be the last, either.

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:23 pm

They are surely and slowly killing Lake Winnipeg. To me this is is an environmental issue that should be receiving far more attention than global climate change.

Curtman @ Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:30 pm

What's this about immigrants? You couldn't choose a title that actually describes what is happening? Poor form.

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:32 pm

Ummm...your opinion is supposed to mean SFA to me?

saturn_656 @ Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:34 pm

The fix for this one is simple, upgrade the capacity of the facilities, build in some redundancy, and hire competent staff.

But all that probably isn't in the city budget.

Curtman @ Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:37 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:

I don't care what you think of me. Just making a suggestion.

raydan @ Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:48 pm

I never agree with Curtman... I do this time.

RUEZ @ Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:56 pm

If I'm not mistaken I think Shep was making a tongue in cheek comparison of Winnipegs sewage contaminated water to areas in the world that follow similar practices.

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:56 pm

had I posted it in current events, I wouldn't have used my own title. Since I'm expressing my view on conditions and making an analogy(and since Curtman became involved the anal factor has increased tenfold) i chose my own title. Comparing the increasing pollution in the Red River to conditions that exist in the Third World is not an exaggeration. It's neither false, nor is it misleading.

sandorski @ Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:11 pm

They are surely and slowly killing Lake Winnipeg. To me this is is an environmental issue that should be receiving far more attention than global climate change.

Winnipeg has a record Murder rate. This should be receiving far more attention than the Holocaust. :P