Canada Kicks Ass
Areas in Montreal to look for an apartment

ggree @ Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi there!

I'll be joining John Molson School of Business as an exchange student in the spring of 2014. I'm traveling with two other guys, whereas one of us is going on McGill. We're currently looking for housing, but don't really know much about in which areas to look. We need three bedroom and the apartment should be furnished. Our budget is about 1.300 to 2.000 if it's relevant. I've had a look at Craigslist and Kijiji, but hope there will be more offerings closer to January.

We'd like to stay downtown and not too far from the schools. I've heard about Old Montreal, but there's not many offerings within our price range. Is this far away from the city? The apartment should have a good standard. Where should we look? We're not familiar with the city at all. Hope you could come up with different alternatives and a quick description of the areas!

Thank you!

BartSimpson @ Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:00 pm

And you're from Pakistan, India, or China?

ggree @ Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
And you're from Pakistan, India, or China?

Norway.

Jabberwalker @ Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:27 pm

ggree ggree:
Hi there!

I'll be joining John Molson School of Business as an exchange student in the spring of 2014. I'm traveling with two other guys, whereas one of us is going on McGill. We're currently looking for housing, but don't really know much about in which areas to look. We need three bedroom and the apartment should be furnished. Our budget is about 1.300 to 2.000 if it's relevant. I've had a look at Craigslist and Kijiji, but hope there will be more offerings closer to January.

We'd like to stay downtown and not too far from the schools. I've heard about Old Montreal, but there's not many offerings within our price range. Is this far away from the city? The apartment should have a good standard. Where should we look? We're not familiar with the city at all. Hope you could come up with different alternatives and a quick description of the areas!

Thank you!

Notre-Dame-de-Grace (NDG), Westmount, Cote St Luc, Snowdon, Cote des Neiges (all West End) if you want some chance of speaking English. If you want to live in French only, anywhere East, South or North of the downtown part on Montreal. Rents are relatively low in Montreal by North American standards and a high proportion of the population are renters. It is a "concentrated" city that has a populous center. The transit system is very good and it isn't necessary to own an automobile, there. (as opposed to the requirement for almost every other Canadian city). Good luck finding digs in Old Montreal.

There is a region on the border of Montreal and Westmount that is called the "McGill Ghetto" and it used to be packed with students. It has become trendy in recent years and most students can't afford to live there, anymore. It is more of an artist's village, now.