Canada Kicks Ass
English in Quebec

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Knoss @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:02 pm

$1:
RUEZ I think you have a reading problem!
No If they live here it's there job to learn the language , not the other way around!
The verb learn in this sentence imply that there is an effort to be made in order to aquired a second language.

Still think you should learn Huron

RUEZ @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:06 pm

Elvis Elvis:
No If they live here it's there job to learn the language , not the other way around!
The verb learn in this sentence imply that there is an effort to be made in order to aquired a second language. :roll:
Hmm nope no problem reading.

hwacker @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:07 pm

Elvis Elvis:
The verb learn in this sentence imply that there is an effort to be made in order to aquired a second language. :roll:

Fuck that.

You guys are so screwed even big companies have to have a % french keyboards for computers or they get fined. Talk about fucked.

The only language you need to enforce bylaw or it would disappear, thanks PET you POS.

Elvis @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:10 pm

$1:
You guys are so screwed even big companies have to have a % french keyboards for computers or they get fined. Talk about fucked.

That's not a big deal get a life dude.

Banff @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:18 pm

They're crazy , they'll even try to force the US to speak French . PDT_Armataz_01_30 XD

RUEZ @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:21 pm

Elvis Elvis:
$1:

Ya you guys have a pretty fucked up society, most of the world embraces English, and you as a way of holding onto your "culture" try to legislate it away.

RUEZ @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:22 pm

Elvis Elvis:
$1:

Ya you guys have a pretty fucked up society, most of the world embraces English, and you as a way of holding onto your "culture" try to legislate it away.

hwacker @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:29 pm

Elvis Elvis:
$1:

Yeah it is a big deal, this coming from a French Canadian who said to me last week "it's a big fucking joke"

grainfedprairieboy @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:50 pm

Wada Wada:
What I find remarkable about the Quebec French is their inability and refusal to converse with Nova Scotia French. Most of my French friends now go to France where they are accepted and the French know how to speak real French or at least the kind of French spoken in N.S. My French friends have been treated even more rudely in Quebec than I as an English speaker. My one and only attempt at speaking French in Quebec earned me a reply of "Non parlez Anglais". Who'd a thought it?

When my French wife and I were in France in 2000 she thought she was going to her Mecca but was shocked to find the French looked down on her and her "peasent French" whenever she spoke it. We stuck to English because everybody speaks it anyway, just like in Quebec.

Wada @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:56 pm

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:
Wada Wada:
What I find remarkable about the Quebec French is their inability and refusal to converse with Nova Scotia French. Most of my French friends now go to France where they are accepted and the French know how to speak real French or at least the kind of French spoken in N.S. My French friends have been treated even more rudely in Quebec than I as an English speaker. My one and only attempt at speaking French in Quebec earned me a reply of "Non parlez Anglais". Who'd a thought it?

When my French wife and I were in France in 2000 she thought she was going to her Mecca but was shocked to find the French looked down on her and her "peasent French" whenever she spoke it. We stuck to English because everybody speaks it anyway, just like in Quebec.

Is your wife from Nova Scotia?

grainfedprairieboy @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:02 pm

No, just outside of Quebec City.

Wada @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:23 pm

Then perhaps my point was not clear. Nova Scotia French is the same as France's French and different enough from Quebec French that they (quebec french) cannot or will not converse with Nova Scotia french. So your wife got the same treatment in France as Nova Scotia french get in Quebec.

grainfedprairieboy @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:37 pm

Wada Wada:

Then perhaps my point was not clear. Nova Scotia French is the same as France's French and different enough from Quebec French that they (quebec french) cannot or will not converse with Nova Scotia french. So your wife got the same treatment in France as Nova Scotia french get in Quebec.

I understood your point. I added to and supported it with my own anecdote and you drew the correct conclusion. BTW, the French seem to feel the same way about the Acadians in New Brunswick and the pockets of French speakers on the prairies.

RUEZ @ Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:59 am

Wada Wada:

No wonder French is dying out.

Bodah @ Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:52 pm

Either some people here have a comprehension problem with the original question or assume that I am french, I am not I am anglo living in Quebec.

The Question is can an english person live in Quebec without speaking or learning french, the short answer is yes in some parts of Quebec. But thats ignorant in my opinion.

And I totally agree with if you live here, you should learn the language in the area of which you live. That goes for Quebec, any other area of Canada, or the world. What ever the dominant language is.

Frankly some of the ignorance on this topic is astounding, as much as Im not a fan of Bilingualism, the francophones here that are saying if you live in Quebec you should learn french are right. Even if its not perfect, you will be more respected for trying, and the more you try the better you will get. Thats a better reaction than them finding out you've lived here for 10 years and cant or dont want to speak a word of it.

Imagine a community in BC somewhere that became an enclave of francophones that refused to learn English, what kind of attitude would you have towards these people that refused to learn the language that is predominant in your province ?

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next