Canada Kicks Ass
English in Quebec

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

RUEZ @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:32 am

I'm curious to know if there are any areas in Quebec where an English speaking person could get by with no French? Other than Montreal or other larger cities. I'm thinking more of rural areas or northern Quebec.

Banff @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:14 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
I'm curious to know if there are any areas in Quebec where an English speaking person could get by with no French? Other than Montreal or other larger cities. I'm thinking more of rural areas or northern Quebec.

I think if Quebec wants to go for the nation within a nation status (whatever that means ) it would likely be in there best interest to turn the entire province into French first English second ....or at least try

bossdog @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:42 am

My mother gre up in Quebec and doesn't speak a lick of French. It's not Northern though. It's about 30 minutes out of Ottawa in Buckingham.

RUEZ @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:36 am

Banff Banff:
RUEZ RUEZ:

I think if Quebec wants to go for the nation within a nation status (whatever that means ) it would likely be in there best interest to turn the entire province into French first English second ....or at least try
That has absolutely nothing to do with what I asked.

RUEZ @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:39 am

bossdog bossdog:
My mother gre up in Quebec and doesn't speak a lick of French. It's not Northern though. It's about 30 minutes out of Ottawa in Buckingham.
I'm wondering how easy it would be to live there, as far as communicating with the daily needs such as utilities, shopping and whatnot.

Streaker @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:07 am

For daily needs in the Ottawa Valley (Buckingham) probably not too much trouble, even nowadays.

Another area in Quebec would be the Eastern Townships; still a sizeable English-speaking community there. There are still some anglos in Gaspé, too.

There's also the Lower North Shore, but it is very isolated (no highways) and the population is tiny. I've heard that this region has a lot of the feel of Newfoundland outports.

RUEZ @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:24 am

Streaker Streaker:
For daily needs in the Ottawa Valley (Buckingham) probably not too much trouble, even nowadays.

Another area in Quebec would be the Eastern Townships; still a sizeable English-speaking community there. There are still some anglos in Gaspé, too.

There's also the Lower North Shore, but it is very isolated (no highways) and the population is tiny. I've heard that this region has a lot of the feel of Newfoundland outports.
Coo, thanks for the info.

bossdog @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:49 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
bossdog bossdog:
I'm wondering how easy it would be to live there, as far as communicating with the daily needs such as utilities, shopping and whatnot.

My grandmother still ives there and she doesn't have any problems. Even her church services are in English. The cost of living is really low there too. Nice little town.

Bodah @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:59 am

Aylmer, or as separatists call it Hellmer. Is 50% english fairly large enough city. I imagine theres a few people there that dont speak french. Its about 15 minutes from Ottawa. There are some rural parts of the Outouais like Wakefield that has a big english population that dont speak french either.

Why they never learned it is beyond me. I go by the philosophy when in Rome do as the Romans.

Saskanna @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:39 am

$1:
I go by the philosophy when in Rome do as the Romans.

When did Quebec become the property of those who speak FRENCH?

Quebec was settled by people who spoke many languages and that included French but wasn't confined to just French until recently. After Levesque's fanatics decided government should dictate to you what language you spoke and did business in. Before that many people spoke just ENglish, or just French, or both. Depending on their needs and desire. It is the way it should be.

Since when did it become acceptable that government dictate what language you speak or do business in?

Bodah @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:09 am

Saskanna Saskanna:
$1:

Quebec was settled by people who spoke many languages and that included French but wasn't confined to just French until recently. After Levesque's fanatics decided government should dictate to you what language you spoke and did business in. Before that many people spoke just ENglish, or just French, or both. Depending on their needs and desire. It is the way it should be.

Since when did it become acceptable that government dictate what language you speak or do business in?

How many francophones you know that move west of Quebec that dont speak English ? ziltch... I thought so. Its a matter of fitting in and respect. Im speaking in the context if you live Quebec. But if you think Quebec isn't predominantly a french speaking province keep on smoking whatever your smoking.

Numure @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:25 am

RUEZ RUEZ:

No where. People with understand half of what your saying, in Saguenay anyways (Where I live). Not to count the fact that when they learn your not a tourist, that your actually living here, they will dislike you.

Numure @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:29 am

Saskanna Saskanna:
$1:

Actually, Québec has always been french only. Just never was officially. Bill 101 came to existance when english became the predominant language in Montreal, to a point that you couldnt get service in french almost anywhere. One of the few times Québécers didnt shut up and live with it, we worked hard to bring our language back in montreal.

Clogeroo @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:39 am

$1:
Why they never learned it is beyond me. I go by the philosophy when in Rome do as the Romans.

How do you think English became a world language? :P We didn’t take over half the world so we could learn their language. I don't speak any French when I went to Quebec I didn't either. Lots of people there speak English or understand it. It is not like going to China or something. So why can’t English people speak their own language in their country? Pretty much everyone understands it anyway.

Bodah @ Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:29 am

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:

How do you think English became a world language? :P We didn’t take over half the world so we could learn their language. I don't speak any French when I went to Quebec I didn't either. Lots of people there speak English or understand it. It is not like going to China or something. So why can’t English people speak their own language in their country? Pretty much everyone understands it anyway.

Again, I say that in the context if you live in Quebec. What would you think of a francophone community that lived out west that didn't speak english.

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next