Canada Kicks Ass
European here, moving to Montreal: finding a job (no french)

Previous  1  2

Thanos @ Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Locust Locust:
......although your embassy is being quite hard on me about getting a work visa, for some reason...

Canadian immigration policies are bigotted against native-born Europeans with a Christian background. Tell them you're a Muslim and you'll get in without any problems as the embassy clerks and diplomats fall all over themselves trying not to hurt your feelings.

And, yes, I'm only half-joking. :mrgreen: :oops: :|

desertdude @ Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:49 am

If only you wankers like you knew remotely about your own immigration process and policy, absurd ass comments like that would be half funny since your were half joking. :mrgreen:

Only person who does, surprise surprise isnt Canadian, Brenda. Her knowledge also about now would be getting slightly outdated since the the new policies and procedures came into effect this year.

Gunnair @ Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:55 am

Thanos Thanos:
Locust Locust:
......although your embassy is being quite hard on me about getting a work visa, for some reason...

Canadian immigration policies are bigotted against native-born Europeans with a Christian background. Tell them you're a Muslim and you'll get in without any problems as the embassy clerks and diplomats fall all over themselves trying not to hurt your feelings.

Barted the thread.

Kudos.

Brenda @ Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:05 am

desertdude desertdude:
If only you wankers like you knew remotely about your own immigration process and policy, absurd ass comments like that would be half funny since your were half joking. :mrgreen:

Only person who does, surprise surprise isnt Canadian, Brenda. Her knowledge also about now would be getting slightly outdated since the the new policies and procedures came into effect this year.

I am pretty sure they became a bit more strict than they already were...

It's funny that people think it is easy to get into Canada. It is not.

DVC185 @ Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:43 am

Seeing as you already speak English, Spanish, Portuguese and a smattering of French, perhaps that might be enough to throw the cops off if you look for some unconventional employment in Montreal. I hear that there are openings :o

Thanos @ Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Thanos Thanos:
Locust Locust:

Barted the thread.

Kudos.

I would much rather have preferred to goastse the thread. Well, I much rather would have preferred to goatse YOU in particular, just on general principles, and leave all these other innocent people alone. Yes, Canada is very difficult to enter. Just ask those Tamils that we bravely deported when they showed up here illegally a couple of years ago. Haven't got around to deporting them yet you say? Well, I'm sure that we'll get around to it any day now.......

Locust @ Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:42 am

Brenda Brenda:
Are you living together? Do you share a household together? Do you have joint bank accounts, and all that for over a year? Then you are common law partners. If not, then she can not sponsor you, and without a job, you will not get a work permit.

We live together. But don't have joint bank accounts nor do we intend to.

So I'm on my own here, is that it? *sigh* Oh well, I guess I'll keep trying and if all else fails I'll just go with her on a tourist visa and if I can't find anything after 3 months I'll move to Seattle and we'll just visit on weekends, I guess, 2 hours isn't that far and while I may not like the US in general, I've always had a soft spot for WA.

Brenda Brenda:
desertdude desertdude:
It's funny that people think it is easy to get into Canada. It is not.

Well, I know alot of village hicks from my country who had no problems settling in over there working on low level construction jobs and the like, so I always assumed it'd be quite doable for someone with a bachelor's degree, very good domain of the english language and good presentation to get in if people with no education and who can't speak english worth shit did... I guess I shouldn't have assumed.

Things are just so different here in the EU we tend to forget these strict immigration policies even exist. We operate similarly to the USA in the sense that we're free to travel between and work in any of the 27 member states, and while it may sound elitist, if I'm being honest I think all developed countries should just be open to each other... Although I understand why it isn't so in Canada, considering you're neighbours with the US, lol. Unfortunately for me, I've always loved anglo-saxon culture and apart from the UK and Ireland, everyone else is very picky when it comes to allowing us Europeans in, but my dream has always been to live either in Canada or the Pacific Northwest region of the USA.

Brenda @ Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:58 am

Locust Locust:
Brenda Brenda:
Are you living together? Do you share a household together? Do you have joint bank accounts, and all that for over a year? Then you are common law partners. If not, then she can not sponsor you, and without a job, you will not get a work permit.

We live together. But don't have joint bank accounts nor do we intend to.
It shouldn't be an issue if you share a household together.
$1:
So I'm on my own here, is that it? *sigh* Oh well, I guess I'll keep trying and if all else fails I'll just go with her on a tourist visa and if I can't find anything after 3 months I'll move to Seattle and we'll just visit on weekends, I guess, 2 hours isn't that far and while I may not like the US in general, I've always had a soft spot for WA.
Let me know how easy that is.

A lady in my neck of the woods had a boyfriend 30 minutes across the border in WA. The US border guards banned her from entering because they assumed she was not going to come back to Canada after the cruise she was taking with him. Despite the daughter she left in her mothers care and the job and mortgage she has here.

Btw, I am Dutch.

Thanos @ Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Btw, I am Dutch.

8)

Locust @ Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Brenda Brenda:
A lady in my neck of the woods had a boyfriend 30 minutes across the border in WA. The US border guards banned her from entering because they assumed she was not going to come back to Canada after the cruise she was taking with him. Despite the daughter she left in her mothers care and the job and mortgage she has here.

Btw, I am Dutch.

Wow, really? oO That's medieval... I mean, considering I had no problem crossing the border from Israel to Jordan, one would assume the US/Ca border would be easy peasy in comparison... Especially in WA, where people seem to be so much more rational than everywhere else in the US.

Love your country btw. ^^

Brenda @ Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:07 pm

Locust Locust:
Brenda Brenda:

Btw, I am Dutch.

Wow, really? oO That's medieval... I mean, considering I had no problem crossing the border from Israel to Jordan, one would assume the US/Ca border would be easy peasy in comparison... Especially in WA, where people seem to be so much more rational than everywhere else in the US.

Love your country btw. ^^

:P Why thank you! :)

Every 3 months I have to get a new visa waiver (US$6, mugshot and fingerprints) to enter the US. I don't always cross the border on the day my waiver expires. So I was 3 days late. I was told in a very unfriendly manner that I was late, and that I am supposed to bring it in on the expiry date and that he could just not let me in. But because he was a 'nice guy' (his words, not mine) he would let it go this time and I could get another one (which takes about 30-45 minutes, depending on which dumbass you encounter).

Another time, when I knew I was not going to get back the next day (expiry date), I tried to return it that day. I was told to come back the next day. That I had no reason to go to the border that day was NOT important. Idiots.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Barted the thread.

You've immortalized me with a verb. I'm flattered! [cheer]

Previous  1  2