Canada Kicks Ass
Guess who's paying for Quebec pipedreams?

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Clogeroo @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:29 am

$1:
That looks like it's in order of population.

Not really.

Quebec with its roughly 7 million people gets 29% of the budget while Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, and Nunavut get 29% of it with about 10 million people. The west alone with 9 million gets 26%. I didn't even mention where the money is coming from either. Far more of Quebec's isn't even from it's own taxes collected from the province. Only the territories and a couple maritime provinces take more in from other sources than their own over Quebec's.

Numure @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:35 am

And remember, Québec gets a refund that is counted in your numbers, for programs we opted out of.

Clogeroo @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:38 am

$1:
And remember, Québec gets a refund that is counted in your numbers, for programs we opted out of.

That is another 3.5 Billion I beleive.

Kelfka @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:26 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:
Doesn't seem like the best way to build a nation. If Quebec would really seperate if forced to pay for its own services, wouldn't an even greater Canada evolve?
I agree. If money is the only reason Quebec is still around it's time we cut them loose first. Fuck them, their dead weight.

I completly agree!

You should visit the Web site of "Canada Divided"
They have lots of arguments, videos and forums to boot out Quebec

Numure @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:37 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:

That is another 3.5 Billion I beleive.

No. The transfers for programs we opted out of is counted in the amount you posted.

fire_i @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:02 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
fire_i fire_i:
toothpick toothpick:
fire_i fire_i:
Then Quebec would simply seccess since it'd have NO SINGLE reason to stay in Canada anymore,

So, what you're saying is that if we stop paying them and keep more money for ourselves, they'll do us all a favor and leave?

What exactaly is the problem here?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, except that I'm left rather cold by the word "favor". Draw your own conclusions.

So when did Quebec give you the power to speak on their behalf? This is probably the way you feel but I doubt it's the majority feeling over there.

Their behalf? More like our behalf, really. Cut the equalization payments and the support for separatism will shoot up to 60%, if not 65%. And chances are it would stay close to that for a long while.

The only way Canada could "get away with it", if that's a proper expression, is if the payments were cut right at the beginning of the mandate of a federalist party. Then maybe there'd still be a chance Quebec would grow silent in 4 years and decide to keep with statu quo, but that's a longshot.

And that's assuming the federalist party would stay that way! After Meech Lake's failure, the Liberal Party of Quebec -almost- turned into a sovereignist party due to the immense frustration they suffered, but their leader Robert Bourrassa managed to calm them down before it was too late for them. The same thing could happen again, even though I doubt we'd see any party really switch their idea concerning the province's constitutionnal future.

Numure: I have to admit I tried to keep it hidden up to now, but I'm actually a separatist, just not the over-the-top kind. I think Quebec secession would be best for both Quebec and Canada in the long run, but at the same time I know that's a thought people simply don't want to spend time contemplating. (I don't have anything against Canada either, in fact I really love Canada : I don't want to screw it, I just don't think federalism can ever work properly for an extended period of time in this country, if not the entire continent if that ever was the case).

Kelfka @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:29 pm

If the Quebec is such a problem for the rest of Canada, why is there no canadian secessionist party?

The "Bloc Quebecois" has received offers to have representative outside of Quebec.
They refuse to stay completly a Quebecer party.
Why with all the fuss of kicking out Quebec is there no "Canadian Bloc"?

AKZ @ Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:13 am

All I got to say is:

The Federal budget will help the PLQ.

Duccepe had the balls to say that no matter what the Feds gave out. they would call a referemdum. What an idiot :roll:

They should know that the ``perequation``subject, will help the Charest party.

$1:
"This gives us a lot of satisfaction in the sense that we have fought for this for a number of years, and now the federal government has moved substantially on this issue,"

$1:
And Quebecers should be proud of the leadership we've exercised within the federation to accomplish this."

So take it however you want, Federalism rules and Separatism sucks, There is no other way to put it really.

And separatists, aren't you all happy, you got the fiscal imbalance issue resolved. Isn't that what you wanted all along? Of course, you are still gonna keep on whining like usual. After all, isn't is what you are used to? But admit it, you got what you wanted, even Duceppe supported the budget, so there should be no objection on your part.

Have a nice day!

Poisson @ Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:02 am

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
Only the territories and a couple maritime provinces take more in from other sources than their own over Quebec's.

It's more than just the territories and "couple" provinces.

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
Well if you want to see transers from the federal government to the provinces.
62,548 Billion for 2006-2007

Ontario got 19,581 Billion or 31% of it
Quebec got 18,277 Billion or about 29% of it.
British Columbia got 6,971 Billion or about 11% of it.
Alberta got 5,198 Billion or about 8% of it.
Manitoba got 3,368 Billion or about 5% of it.
Nova Scotia got 2,689 Billion or about 4% of it.
New Brunswick got 2,466 Billion or about 4% of it.
Saskatchewan got 1,523 Billion or about 2% of it.
Newfoundland got 1,370 Billion or 2% of it.
Nunavut got 874 million or about 1% of it.
Northwest Territories got 804 million or about 1% of it.
Yukon Territory got 554 million or about 0.008% of it.
PEI got 474 million or about 0.0075% of it.

Let's sweeten the pot about federal transfers for each provincal budget since everyone is going crazy on the numbers.

From 2006-2007...

Nunavut - 93% of its budget is from federal transfers
Yukon - 86%
NWT - 75%
PEI - 40%
New Brunswick - 38%
Nova Scotia - 35%
Manitoba - 35%
Newfoundland - 29%
Quebec - 19%
Saskatchewan - 17%
British Columbia - 16%
Ontario - 16%
Alberta - 11%

http://www.stat.gouv.qc.ca/donstat/econ ... chap13.pdf

So, excepting the territories...the average transfer percentage is 25% of the budget, so I'd say Quebec is slightly less dependent on those transfers than other provinces (especially the first five).

Now let's go to number of money per inhabitant, using latest transfers that you just wrote down.

Nunavut (population: 31,000) - $28200 transfer money per inhabitant
NWT (42,000) - $19145
Yukon (32,000) - $17310
PEI (135,000) - $3510
New Brunswick (745,000) - $3310
Nova Scotia (934,000) - $2875
Manitoba (1,180,000) - $2855
Newfoundland (505,000) - $2715
Quebec (7,670,000) - $2380
British Columbia (4,325,000) - $1610
Saskatchewan (985,000) - $1545
Ontario (12,720,000) - $1540
Alberta (3,410,000) - $1540

Again excepting the territories, Canada average would be $2385. So Quebec is pretty much on the average and five provinces get more money per capita than Quebec. It's just that the transfer for Quebec has a lot of zeros make a lot of people think Quebec is getting a lot of free money and getting quite more than the other provinces. When you compare the transfers per inhabitant and its percentage of provincal budgets, Quebec is well on the average.

fire_i fire_i:
And that's assuming the federalist party would stay that way! After Meech Lake's failure, the Liberal Party of Quebec -almost- turned into a sovereignist party due to the immense frustration they suffered, but their leader Robert Bourrassa managed to calm them down before it was too late for them. The same thing could happen again, even though I doubt we'd see any party really switch their idea concerning the province's constitutionnal future.

Actually, Bourassa did threaten to hold a referendum if there is no constitutional proposal set up to vote (which was the now-failed Charlottetown Accord). He was quite fustrated as well.

Kelfka @ Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:31 am

AKZ AKZ:
All I got to say is:

The Federal budget will help the PLQ.

Duccepe had the balls to say that no matter what the Feds gave out. they would call a referemdum. What an idiot :roll:

They should know that the ``perequation``subject, will help the Charest party.

Duccepe is not as much of an idiot as you would like to think.
The federal buget will help the PLQ.
But it would have bean worse if he would have voted against it.
Cause then Charest would have said:
"The seperatist say they work for the Quebec but its not true they work for them selfs!"
"They say they were the first ones to bring up "the perequation", but they refused a settlement, this is very irresponsible!"
"They kept 2.3 Billons away from Quebec, they dont have the best interest of Quebec at heart, we do!"

And then at the next federal election Harper would have said the same things.
This was a loose-loose situation for Duccepe, so he took the lesser of 2 evils.

Cause now the only thing Charest can say is: "My gouvernment was the one responsible for getting the 2.3 Billions"

Numure @ Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:32 am

fire_i fire_i:

Numure: I have to admit I tried to keep it hidden up to now, but I'm actually a separatist, just not the over-the-top kind. I think Quebec secession would be best for both Quebec and Canada in the long run, but at the same time I know that's a thought people simply don't want to spend time contemplating. (I don't have anything against Canada either, in fact I really love Canada : I don't want to screw it, I just don't think federalism can ever work properly for an extended period of time in this country, if not the entire continent if that ever was the case).

I understand completly, as I share the same view.

Numure @ Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:35 am

AKZ AKZ:

And separatists, aren't you all happy, you got the fiscal imbalance issue resolved.

Yes, I'm quite happy. And just for that, I don't regret my vote for Harper at all. I'd vote for him again. Though I must admit, what they have given us is great, its only small amount of what we want. To resolve the fiscal imbalance issue, I would of prefered transfers of tax points (IE - transfer 5% of the personnal income tax on the federal level to the province). Would of been much more substanable in the long run, and would be fair for every province. By just giving money away, there will always be a province getting more then another.

BartSimpson @ Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:57 am

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:
Guess who's paying for Quebec pipedreams?

I had no idea that that much of Quebec's economy was dependent on transfer paments.

If Ontario throws in the towel and goes on welfare that only leaves Alberta struggling to support Quebec and the ROC.

Hang in there Ontario, fat Atlantic unions and Quebec social programs shouldn't be jeopardised by your contemplations of laziness.

Let Quebec separate and then take away the chequebook.

That ought to be fun to watch. :lol:

fire_i @ Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:27 pm

AKZ AKZ:
And separatists, aren't you all happy, you got the fiscal imbalance issue resolved. Isn't that what you wanted all along? Of course, you are still gonna keep on whining like usual. After all, isn't is what you are used to? But admit it, you got what you wanted, even Duceppe supported the budget, so there should be no objection on your part.

To begin with, that isn't all we wanted... and honestly, convinced separatists will never stop "whining" as you put it : the only way for them to get silent is if they get their successful referendum. That's why they constantly object. They say they want more money, but in all actuality, that's not what they care about.

On the other hand, "soft separatists" are likely to be pleased by the resolution of fiscal imbalance (partial or complete, whatever numbers you stand for, I don't think it changes much) and sit down until the next "injustice" (if any, and note the hyphens).

Numure Numure:
I understand completly, as I share the same view.

Well that's a first for me, if you exclude members of my immediate family!

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

That ought to be fun to watch. :Laughing:

Oh, we'd get over it... we're far from being that hopeless, really. If we get a kick in the knees, we'll react, we won't just lay down and complain.

And everyone, please don't say complaining's the only thing we've been doing since decades... I see that comment coming from miles away.

Kelfka @ Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:41 pm

fire_i fire_i:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

That ought to be fun to watch. :Laughing:

Oh, we'd get over it... we're far from being that hopeless, really. If we get a kick in the knees, we'll react, we won't just lay down and complain.

And everyone, please don't say complaining's the only thing we've been doing since decades... I see that comment coming from miles away.

One way Quebec could react is by simply over-taxing all ships bound for Canada comming through the St-Lawrence river and all land shiping through the territory.
Bye bye low prices!

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next