Canada Kicks Ass
Marois’ bilingualism

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

fire_i @ Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:46 pm

I'd disagree. Learning history is important, but it probably gives francophone an equal amount of arguments why like and dislike the thought of learning English. Sure it shows how important the language is, but on the other hand, unless you turn a blind eye to the former historical injustices, you're certain to have some people not realize it's time to get over them.

kenmore @ Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:03 pm

History like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. not all history is true to fact and much like the bible in translation much is lost.. I studied Russian history.. I have russian friends and I visited Leningrad...now St. Petersburg.. their account of the revolution of 1917 and the studies I had taken were at odds and their knowledge was what they had been taught in school by the communists.. there are many slants on history.. ie the French Revolution....I studied as well and have read 10 different books on the subject and all have a different account.. So I dont really understand your point of view... benoit...

Benoit @ Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:21 pm

fire_i fire_i:
I'd disagree. Learning history is important, but it probably gives francophone an equal amount of arguments why like and dislike the thought of learning English. Sure it shows how important the language is, but on the other hand, unless you turn a blind eye to the former historical injustices, you're certain to have some people not realize it's time to get over them.

Paulo Freire has shown that when motivated by a justice motive, a person learns the language of the masters in a few months.

http://home.clara.net/heureka/art/freire.htm

MacDonaill @ Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:24 pm

Slaves learn the language of their masters, but they learn to speak a simplified, de-grammaticised form of it, which will be a pidgin or patois. To truly learn a language and to learn to speak it correctly takes alphabetisation and academic study, once you reach a certain age. When you're a child, exposure to the language is enough, because you will learn it as you learn your mother tongue. But you still won't be able to write well in the language or use proper grammar unless you are taught it at school.

Benoit @ Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:50 pm

MacDonaill MacDonaill:
Slaves learn the language of their masters, but they learn to speak a simplified, de-grammaticised form of it, which will be a pidgin or patois.

When motivated the equality and freedom, slaves learn fast whatever it takes to overturn the Master-Slave dialectic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master-slave_dialectic

martin14 @ Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:04 pm

i am surprised this is still going on.

Surely by now the people of Quebec have realized that they must learn

English if they are going to survive in North America.

I thought after the experience of the 50's and 60's, this

should have been taken care of by now.

it is surprising the level of English taught in the schools is still so low.

Benoit @ Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:14 pm

martin14 martin14:
Surely by now the people of Quebec have realized that they must learn English if they are going to survive in North America.

You'd be surprised how little it takes for human beings to survive.

fire_i @ Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Martin14 : The quantities are fine, there are English classes from grade 1 to high school promotion... the problem is rather the quality of the classes given. There's a bug somewhere and people don't learn well, but few, if anyone, know what the exact problem is.

Benoit @ Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:44 pm

fire_i fire_i:
Martin14 : The quantities are fine, there are English classes from grade 1 to high school promotion... the problem is rather the quality of the classes given. There's a bug somewhere and people don't learn well, but few, if anyone, know what the exact problem is.

Schools are prison-like institutions.

Elvis @ Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:00 pm

I don't think it is much the school that are the problem but the student them self.

When I was young I wanted to learn English so I manage to learn it. English is easy to learn especially in north America. Those who do not have the interest to learn it just don't. And I don't think that having more or less English in the classroom will change that.

There are some who pretend that they have to send there kids to English school for them to be perfectly bilingual. That's bull shit All that is needed, if the Kid is willing to learn, is to be immerse in English for a summer when he is still a preteen and another immersion program after high school.

Some other will pretend that there kids need to speak English without an accent if they want to succeed in the work place. That is a Lie, The Brit, the American, even the Indian don't care for your accent. The only place in the world where speaking English with a French accent is a problem is in CANADA! :twisted:

novachick @ Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:03 pm

Elvis Elvis:
I don't think it is much the school that are the problem but the student them self.

When I was young I wanted to learn English so I manage to learn it. English is easy to learn especially in north America. Those who do not have the interest to learn it just don't. And I don't think that having more or less English in the classroom will change that.

There are some who pretend that they have to send there kids to English school for them to be perfectly bilingual. That's bull shit All that is needed, if the Kid is willing to learn, is to be immerse in English for a summer when he is still a preteen and another immersion program after high school.

Some other will pretend that there kids need to speak English without an accent if they want to succeed in the work place. That is a Lie, The Brit, the American, even the Indian don't care for your accent. The only place in the world where speaking English with a French accent is a problem is in CANADA! :twisted:

Wish you could teach me to speak french that easily! :cry:

Benoit @ Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:19 pm

Elvis Elvis:

The motivation of the kids depends in part on the political climate in which they grow up.

novachick @ Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:20 pm

Benoit Benoit:
Elvis Elvis:

The motivation of the kids depends in part on the political climate in which they grow up.

I wasn't allowed to learn French...now what :evil:

Benoit @ Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:29 pm

novachick novachick:
Benoit Benoit:

Most little girls are not allowed to go out half-naked but they do it anyway.

novachick @ Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:41 pm

Benoit Benoit:
novachick novachick:
Benoit Benoit:

Most little girls are not allowed to go out half-naked but they do it anyway.

Ahhh so if I went out half naked I could have learned French. Good to know but it doesn't help me much now :wink:

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next