Canada Kicks Ass
quebec is one of the many things that makes canada great

1  2  Next

JohnfromOz @ Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:51 am

there are many great things about canada that i like and one of them is quebec and what makes quebec so unique and different from all the other canadian provinces is that its the only french province in canada.

all the other provinces in canada speak english as a first language quebec is the only province in canada which speaks french as a first language quebec is also one of my favourite provinces in canada and the french canadians are very different to all the other types of canadians.

there to seems to be a bit of rivalry between the french canadians and the other canadians how ever i think that some french canadians are a bit ungreatful because for decades they had been fighting to have there own independent province and now its not enough they want more and now they want to have their own country which is never going to happen.

why cant they just be happy with what they got and be greatful to be apart of canada and the majority of french canadians are happy with their province and dont want to split and they want to remain part of canada for ever.

although there was a similar situation over here in australia where western australia state which is where i live wanted to become its own independent country decades ago for some reason cant exactly remember what it was but if that were to happen it would be absoloutly ridiculous because a part of australia would be missing and australia wouldnt be the same.

its the exact same with quebec if quebec were to become a country there would be a big part of canada that would be missing and it would spoil and ruin the wonderful multicultrual country that canada is and that canada is known for.

dgthe3 @ Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:05 am

From reading your posts, you seem to understand Canada pretty good. We do have one bilingual province, New Brunswick, but all the others except for Quebec are english. I also have little idea about the resentment that some Quebecers have towards Canada. It is extremely rare for a group to be able to keep their language and culture after they are conquered. The British were nice to them, but for some reason they think that because they have their own culture that they should have their own country. But we get used to it, and as saying goes: "Seperatism is the glue that holds Canada together"

HockeyBabe @ Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:10 am

interesting posts.. All I know is that if Québec ever separates, I'm moving to Ontario...lol scratch that. no I won't! Québec is the only place to get perfect poutine! lol :P

Bullet @ Tue May 17, 2005 5:10 am

HockeyBabe HockeyBabe:
interesting posts.. All I know is that if Québec ever separates, I'm moving to Ontario...lol scratch that. no I won't! Québec is the only place to get perfect poutine! lol :P

If that tragedy does happen I don't plan to move but i sure as hell will continue showing off my canadian flag and my soon to be maple leaf tattoo

HockeyBabe @ Tue May 17, 2005 8:39 pm

Bullet Bullet:
HockeyBabe HockeyBabe:

If that tragedy does happen I don't plan to move but i sure as hell will continue showing off my canadian flag and my soon to be maple leaf tattoo

That's hot.. :P

Tman1 @ Tue May 17, 2005 8:55 pm

HockeyBabe HockeyBabe:

Ha ha, you sure do like your poutine. As for me, A&W is just fine...

Damien @ Wed May 18, 2005 10:58 am

I'm not separatist and I'm as proud to be Québecois than Canadian.
I just hope we wont secede, but if so I wont move to another Province, there's nothing like Home :oops:

Sweet Home Alabama ! [cold]

HockeyBabe @ Wed May 18, 2005 2:40 pm

Damien Damien:
I'm not separatist and I'm as proud to be Québecois than Canadian.
I just hope we wont secede, but if so I wont move to another Province, there's nothing like Home :oops:

Sweet Home Alabama ! [cold]

Alabama??? So what, Canada isn't good enough for you anymore?? :evil: lol jk :P

Damien @ Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:46 pm

Don't worry, Canada will always be the best for me, but if we could trade our weather with one of these southern states ... Would be nice huh ? :wink:

HockeyBabe @ Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:59 pm

no way! We get longer snowboard seasons!! :P

rgmontal @ Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:30 am

Like John, I'm also from Oz. John, what part of Oz are you from? Sydney? Brisvegas? Adelaide? Perth? The Alice? Or are you a Melbournite? Not that I play into interstate rivalry ...

I should explain that the Eastern states of Australia are mildly competitive when it comes to their sport and their states' joie de vivre. Victorians will always say that their state capital (Melbourne) is better than Sydney, and New South Welshpersons (not alot of Australians know that is the adjective used for people from New South Wales) will always say that Sydney (my state capital) is better than Melbourne.

In fact, during the first decade or so of Federation (when Australia became a country, much like Canada became une confédération), Melbourne and Sydney were constantly fighting with eachother as to what city would become our capital city. Unfortunately due to the constitution, the mantle never went to Melbourne or Sydney, it went to Canberra (ARGH!).

I see many references to Newfoundland and Labrador with friendly disdain ... We have our own "Newfies" - they're called Tasmanians and their state (Tasmania) is also an island. They get constantly paid out by mainlanders, but they do have the most beautiful state in Australia. If I remember correctly, about 40% of the state is National Park. They're a very chilled out and relaxed group of people. I'd love to go to Tasmania one day though, but I have to go to Canada first! Surtout au Québec, depuis j'suis un francophile.

I'd like to make a point here, though: the states of Western Australia and South Australia tried to separate from the Commonwealth - what we Australians collectively refer to when we talk about the federation of states and territories, and if memory serves me correctly you Canadians call it the Dominion of Canada - in 1940-something. One thing saved Australia from itself: the British Parliament. They enacted ancient legislation which enabled Britain to stop secession of those two states taking place.

In 1986, Australia's Federal Parliament under the left-leaning Labor government (the Liberals in Australia are right-leaning and Bush-loving ARGH), enacted the Australia Act, which cut nearly all constitutional and legal ties with Britain so that their laws have absolutely no effect on us Aussies. There are a few remnants of power she has left, but really she's only a figurehead.

Now Canada in its original constitution (the British North America Act - which was all of one page long and never specified anything about how to actually RUN the country. Interestingly, the BNA Act is in both French and English - Canada was destined to be bilingual from the beginning and since it had no detail on it, there was always going to be trouble ahead) had absolutely no power to alter or change its constitution. That was changed some years later. As far as I know, after the update to the BNA was permitted, and a newer Canadian constitution enacted, there was no real formal cessation of ties with Britain like we had in Australia (that's if I read the most recent version of your constitution correctly). Therefore, what would technically stop Britain from forcing Québec to remain a part of Canada? If it was done in Australia once they can do it again. I'm not saying nor condoning that Britain would ever do such a thing, especially nowadays, but I'm just posing food for thought.

We Aussies like having such a warm and friendly (the people, not your climate which doesn't suit us Aussies very well) Commonwealth member. And our currencies are as worthless in Europe as eachothers! So we always suffer together whenever we are in hostels across Europe - many a night a group of Canadians and myself were spent complaining how no one loves our respective dollars in Amsterdam ...

Damien @ Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:49 am

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :lol: SnowBoarding ;)

rgmontal @ Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:45 pm

You have not seen me attempting to ski my dear ... It'd make for a great slapstick routine ...

HockeyBabe @ Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:30 am

Damien Damien:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :lol: SnowBoarding ;)

Snowboard friggen rocks. :rock:

Damien @ Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:53 pm

HockeyBabe HockeyBabe:
no way! We get longer snowboard seasons!! :P

Actually, we only get snowboarding seasons !! ;)

Si je ne me trompe pas, on a eu une semaine de beau temps suivie d'un temps de )(*&^&*% :D

1  2  Next