Canada Kicks Ass
Quebec language cops say there is too much Italian on Italia

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

GreenTiger @ Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:50 am

As stupid as this situation is, they still look better than the antics of the First Nations.

Jonny_C @ Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:43 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
DuMauriers and Labatt 50s all around :lol:

It used to be Labatt's 50. We lost the English "apostrophe-s" somewhere along the way.

Bodah @ Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:15 pm

:lol:

JBG @ Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:10 pm

martin14 martin14:
commanderkai commanderkai:
I'm getting sick and tired that we describe Quebec's "language police" as anything else but the bunch of fascists they are. Fuck them, fuck the PQ, fuck the Quebec provincial government, and I'm right at the point to say fuck the people who vote for these assholes.

R=UP

Nice way to spend 25 million.
If they want to waive equalization and the various subsidies from the rest of Canada then it's fine. If the language police or tongue checkers are operating on Anglophones' dime not so much.

CanadianODST @ Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:41 pm

I hate the French.

Bodah @ Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:20 pm

CanadianODST CanadianODST:
I hate the French.

You can hate dumb ass over the top shizophrenic policies, but don't hate the people. Not all Quebecers agree with it, trust me. Politics in Quebec is a different kettle of fish.

raydan @ Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:25 pm

When someone says he hates the French, it means he hates people from France.... but I have no idea why he would mention it in this thread. :?

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:31 pm

I hate the PQ and despise all who support its separatist agenda

Jughead @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:52 am

jambo101 jambo101:
For the last 40+ years the English language and its culture in Quebec has been slowly but surely eradicated in Quebec. With the inception of Bill101 and the later not with standing clause Quebec has had license to do just about anything it wants in the name of protecting the French culture.
Now with separatists back in power and those dastardly/pesky Anglos still hanging on with a mere 8% of Quebecs population a new beefed up bill 101 is about to be passed into law,bill 14 is about to decimate whats left of any English culture in Quebec.
http://www.mcgilldaily.com/2013/02/loi- ... an-to-you/

I guess it all depends in which part of Quebec you're living in. If you reside in Montreal, specifically the downtown area, West End or West Island, there is still a very strong English presence there. You can easily live and work in those areas with no knowledge of French. I've included an article from 2008 below that ruffled some feathers amungst the PQ members.

$1:
A Journal de Montreal report that one of the newspaper's francophone reporters, masquerading as a unilingual anglophone, could nevertheless find jobs in downtown Montreal, is "worrying," Parti Quebecois language critic Pierre Curzi says.

By The Gazette (Montreal) January 15, 2008

A Journal de Montreal report that one of the newspaper's francophone reporters, masquerading as a unilingual anglophone, could nevertheless find jobs in downtown Montreal, is "worrying," Parti Quebecois language critic Pierre Curzi says.

"French is not negotiable," Curzi said yesterday, calling on Christine St-Pierre, the minister responsible for protecting the French language, to act.

Journal reporter Noee Murchison landed 15 jobs in Montreal as a sales clerk, cashier or waitress after telling prospective employers she couldn't say much more than "bonjour" in French.

Curzi said the PQ proposal to extend Bill 101 rules to employers with less than 50 but more than 25 employees would be a step in the right direction.

He said he finds it hard to believe employers can't find French-speakers for service jobs, but added that the government should also encourage non-francophones to learn Quebec's official language.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/n ... 87&k=65845

raydan @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:59 am

I've worked in and around Montreal with people who couldn't speak French to save their life.

Jonny_C @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:22 pm

raydan raydan:
I've worked in and around Montreal with people who couldn't speak French to save their life.

And that's a bad thing?

raydan @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
raydan raydan:

And that's a bad thing?

Funny, but if I got a job offer to go work elsewhere... and I'm not even talking immigration... I'd learn the local language no matter what it was. I worked with a lot of immigrants and most of them enrolled in French language courses. Others couldn't be bothered even if they had in some cases kids in French schools.

Bodah @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
And that's a bad thing?

I just think it's a good idea to learn the language the majority of the land speaks where ever you choose to live. There's a lot of anglophones living in Montreal, and anglophones had a lot to do with the history of Quebec but I think in todays day and age it's a bad idea to live in an enclave and not learn the language that the majority of other people speak. Imagine if french commmunity started migrating to some place in Alberta and didn't learn english how would you view that ?

I think the current bill c14 to amend bill 101 is totally the wrong thing to do, it's archaic and will do nothing but build walls and sentence francophones to being unilingual and remove their economic mobility.

Jonny_C @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:56 pm

raydan raydan:
Jonny_C Jonny_C:
raydan raydan:

And that's a bad thing?

Funny, but if I got a job offer to go work elsewhere... and I'm not even talking immigration... I'd learn the local language no matter what it was. I worked with a lot of immigrants and most of them enrolled in French language courses. Others couldn't be bothered even if they had in some cases kids in French schools.

For myself, I'd try to do the same. But in a bilingual country, with two official languages, I get uneasy when somebody thinks that living and working in one of the official languages, when the local circumstances make it perfectly viable, is not acceptable.

It's like "How dare someone live and work in English" when obvioulsy in some places it's quite possible to do so.

raydan @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Sorry Jonny, but like Bodah said, the language of the land here is French.
Is it a bad thing if someone doesn't speak it here? Not for me it isn't.
Does it bother me? No.

My opinion though is that they should learn to speak it.

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next