Canada Kicks Ass
Quebec Should Share It's Resources

grainfedprairieboy @ Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:24 pm

Today I heard on the radio that Quebec exports 85% of its electrical production to the USA.

That left me wondering why the same arguments that people use against Alberta oil are never levied against Quebec electricity.

1. Why doesn't Quebec's hydro wealth belong to all Canadians?

2. Why is Quebec allowed to export so much electricity to the USA when some Canadian jurisdictions experience shortages and periodic brown outs?

3. Why are other provincial legislatures not consulted before any new hydro projects begin?

4. Why is Canada not forcing Quebec to more equitably share the wealth it generates from this resource?

5. Why don't we pay Quebec a subsidised price for electricity so that all Canadians can benefit from the resource?

I suspect the reason lies in the longstanding perception the prairies (and maritimes) are no more then a colony of central Canada.

mtbr @ Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:25 pm

Shame on Quebec :twisted:

sandorski @ Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:28 pm

Perhaps negotiations should be started?

Good point though.

RUEZ @ Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:34 pm

Quebec's natural resources belong to all of Canada.

BartSimpson @ Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:36 pm

Quebec share? Non.

Pimpbrewski @ Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:37 pm

Well, for one thing, Quebec should be able to share it within Canada.

As for the United States, maybe we should not export as much.

Since I am not all that familiar with the existing agreement on Hydro and its exportation, I will not comment too much regarding this.

Since from what we hear, They are pretty much giving it away (very reasonable pricing) to the US. That in itself should be reviewed. :D

Either way, I would fucking love to hear Bart's opinion on this matter.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:38 pm

Tabernac!!! Fock you eenglish!

Red_Eye @ Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:27 am

Quebec electricty is a provincial affair as they nationalised it. Got all the electrical producing companies under one roof. The profits (supposidly) is a source of revenue to the province. So that arguement is a little tempermental. Is Alberta oil provincailly owned? Or is it exploited by Foriegn companies? I think that is a factor too.

Grain your on a roll lately against Quebec, Whats up?

fire_i @ Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:53 pm

In all fairness, we should share.

But we all know that if a government tries that out, they're going to give separatists one Hell of a gigantic argument.

And that alone is prolly enough to make the whole idea unthinkable to any political party.

Do I complain? No... but I won't defend Quebec either here. Doing so would be hypocrisy. Though for once, just for once, the rotten political atmosphere is... maybe beneficial, to some, in a way.