Canada Kicks Ass
Sun News Honcho Running for PQ

Centre @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:58 am

Péladeau said that it was with “enormous pride” that he agreed to join the PQ, adding that he believes in an independent Quebec and wants to give his children “a country that they can be proud of.”

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/mon ... story.html

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Ahhhh...I was hoping you were talking about Ezra. :(

saturn_656 @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:11 pm

Centre Centre:
Péladeau said that it was with “enormous pride” that he agreed to join the PQ, adding that he believes in an independent Quebec and wants to give his children “a country that they can be proud of.”

So when Quebec separates is he going to buy his kids one way tickets back to Canada?

andyt @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:20 pm

Bet he'll still be whining to the CRTC how he should be carried on basic cable even after separation. Just like the Bloq assholes will keep collecting their MP's pension.

Like freaking spoiled children, those PQ fucks.

jj2424 @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:47 pm

Centre Centre:

If he was an employee of the CBC or had ties to the left would you have posted that in a dark font?

Would you have posted it at all?

Jabberwalker @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Ahhh ... but their all "victims" in their minds ...

"Some Anglos did something to my ancestors 250 years ago and you OWE ME "

It's childish and pathetic, really. Perhaps, we should be boycotting Péladeau's products.

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:57 pm

This guy doesn't appear to have a lot to do with Sun per se. He's more a marketer for Quebecor. He's not dealing with editorial content on Sun. He's marketing a telecommunications business that includes cable and wireless.

Or he was. Apparently he stepped down.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... le9759513/

Although this is interesting.

$1:
May, 2003

At the Quebecor annual meeting, Mr. Péladeau ridicules some of Radio-Canada’s programming as a “joke” and charges that the French-language public broadcaster gets more than its fair share from the Canadian Television Fund. He asks the federal heritage minister, Sheila Copps, to change the rules governing the fund in favour of a more equitable distribution of money among both private and public broadcasters.

Jabberwalker @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:00 pm

Quebecor is his daddy's business and you can bet that he hasn't stepped very far.

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:04 pm

$1:
Mr. Péladeau will continue to oversee the media operations as chairman of Quebecor Media and television service TVA. He will also be vice-chairman of the board at Quebecor Inc., with Françoise Bertrand remaining as chairman.

andyt @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:30 pm

jj2424 jj2424:
Centre Centre:

If he was an employee of the CBC or had ties to the left would you have posted that in a dark font?

Would you have posted it at all?

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL [moon]

Gotta sting, eh? The guiding light of the right associated with the leftist PQ and fucking separatism. Is nothing sacred?

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Bouchard was hardly a lefty either, yet he was leader of the PQ and worked with Duceppe who was a far left trade unionist

jj2424 @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:35 pm

andyt andyt:

Gotta sting, eh? The guiding light of the right associated with the leftist PQ and fucking separatism. Is nothing sacred?

No not at all. If you haven't noticed the ideas of one of their big wigs is not reflected or enforced by their pee ons. Unlike the squawking left wing Chickens at the Toronto Star and others.

OnTheIce @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:59 pm

Centre Centre:

With your desire to alter topic titles to not match the actual article to play to your bias, you should just change your username to "left".

Yogi @ Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:47 pm

AND THE SUN RESPONDS:

OpinionColumnists

We wish PKP well ... but not too well

Glenn Garnett

First posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 04:19 PM MDT | Updated: Sunday, March 09, 2014 05:55 PM MDT

On Sunday my former boss Pierre Karl Peladeau surprised us when he announced he’d be running under the Parti Quebecois banner in the upcoming provincial election in Quebec.

So now it’s being suggested by some that PKP’s proclamation that he’s a sovereigntist will make our columnists cower or that we’ll pull our editorial punches against the Parti Quebecois in deference to him, at least until Quebecers tender their ballots April 7.

Are you kidding me?

As the head of Sun Media’s editorial department, I don’t often call my own number to address an issue. That’s because we have a stable of solid, hard-hitting, talented columnists and editorial writers to do that.

But this can only be written by me, because seven years ago I inherited the responsibility of protecting the chain’s legacy of newsroom independence.

That tradition hails back to the first editorial for the fledgling Toronto Sun in 1971, in which founding editor Peter Worthington proclaimed: "We have no sacred cows, no editorial taboos. We are masters in our own newsroom...”

It was a proud boast but an enduring one, and leading to more than a few clashes amongst editors, columnists, executives and advertisers through the years. As the chain has grown into one of Canada’s largest media organizations, this tension continues.

But when it's time to send the editorial off to press, it’s our call.

It’s difficult for some people to understand that I don’t have a hotline on my desk from head office over which PKP or other senior executives call to dictate tomorrow’s editorial position on the news of the day.

That’s not the way it works and if it did, we wouldn’t be long for this increasingly competitive and cutthroat media environment in which we operate.

In all the years I worked for him, PKP both respected and expected the independence of our newsrooms. He demonstrated that again yesterday when asked about Sun News Network’s tough position against sovereigntists.

"They will say whatever they want. It's their own opinion,” he said. “This is what media is all about."

On Sunday, PK announced he would be following his dream of being part of the movement to achieve sovereignty for the province of Quebec, and that he finally decided to enter politics to help give his three children “a country that they can be proud of.”

With all due respect, we believe that country already exists. It’s called Canada. We believe the aspirations of Quebecers, and all Canadians, are best achieved through a united Canada that includes Quebec.

When it comes to our editorial position, it’s business as usual.

[email protected]

Glenn Garnett is the vice-president, Editorial, Sun Media Corp.

Twitter #suncorpguy