Canada Kicks Ass
bicycle riders

1  2  3  4  5  Next

Caelon @ Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:31 am

I seem to run across the stupid bicyle riders in my travels. If you recognize anyone in the list of peeves below please encourage them to change their behavior.

1. When riding in a group on a highway stay on the shoulder in single file formation. Do not ride side by side and do not drift over the white line. NEVER RIDE THREE ABREAST.

2. On rural paved roads with no shoulder you must have a suicicde wish to ride on it. Yes you have a right to the road and so do the other vehicles. So when two farm trucks hauling large round bales meet at the blind curve with no place to go to avoid you, you will be hit and possibly killed. Not to mention the other vehicles travelling at 100 kph to your 15 kph that cannot avoid you on that same blind curve.

3. For the stupid women who road in the traffic lane on a highway while her partner stayed on the shoulder. YOU ARE A TWIT. And your partner is only slightly brighter as though he was on the shoulder he did not correct your stupidity.

4. Walk your bicycle through a cross walk do not ride it. If you want to ride it stay in the traffic lanes.

5. Do not ride your bike on pedestrian overpasses. You are risking injury to the pedestrians.

6. Do not ride the wrong way down a one way street. You are a vehicle and are breaking the law.

For the idiots who think it is their right to ride how and wherever they want and not a priviledge that is being abused with several laws broken on a regular basis; there will be a time when your actions will lead to serious injury or death. It will not be a comfort for your loved ones to stand over your grave and say "He was exercising his right to the road".

If you are a biker that obeys the rules of the road and rides with common sense for your safety and others then I tip my hat to you.

andyt @ Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:16 am

Can we add some for drivers?

1.You do not have the right to pass a bike when it is not safe to do so. Wait until it is safe - ie no oncoming traffic. Bikes do not need to squeeze off the road to allow your majesty's passage
2.Speeding past a bike and doing a sharp right just in front of them is not a good thing to do.
3.Seeing how close you can get to a bike while passing may be fun, but can result in tragedy.
4.Throwing open your car door into the path of a cyclist is impolite to say the least
5.Pulling out into traffic just in front of a bike because 'you're faster' isn't on.
6. Throwing objects at cyclists and yelling "get off the road" just makes you look like an idiot.
7.Cyclists are deemed vehicles and have as much right to be on the road as you do unless specifically prohibited in that location. It is no more a privilege for them to be on the road than it is for you. Yelling "you don't have insurance" at them proves nothing.

andyt @ Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:21 am

And from one driver to another:
1. Running red lights - in very poor taste.
2. Tailgating - stupid for you since the accident will be deemed your fault.
3.That little stick by your wheel is called a turn signal. Try it some time.
4.Watch traffic ahead to see what is developing instead of just zoning out.
5.Don't rear end the car ahead of you (as happened to me) because the light turned green - there may be cars ahead of the car ahead of you that haven't moved yet.
6. Don't drive half way into an alley and decide to back up, turn around and look full into the eyes of the driver that's following you (me) and reverse into him anyway.
7.Don't stop in the middle of the road because you want to take a pic of the nice scenery.
8.passing on the right is illegal and not a good idea. Weaving manically thru traffic that is jammed up won't get you there faster.

etc.

Benn @ Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:59 am

As more people are commuting with bikes here in Winnipeg we are in the midst of a bit of a cyclist car driver war. I don't really get it, if they both followed rules of the road as well as the advice above, for both sides, everything should work out fine.

I may have cut close to get around a group of cyclists riding three abreast and slowing the 60 km/h lane down to 15 km/h once. The cyclists caught up to me at the next red light and started in on me about it saying they'd call the cops. I asked if they were going to tells the cops they were riding three abreast when they were almost hit and they said yes. I offered them my cell phone and said I'd wait with them for the cops, they swore at me and rode off, three abreast again down main Street.

As for car drivers, tailgating on the highway drives me nuts, just because I leave enough room to be safe behind the guy in front of me seems to be an open invite for some people to cut into the safety buffer to get in front of me. Dude if I'm doing 110 and I can't see your license plate in my rear view mirror and you can't see my back tires you are way to f'n close. Normally I'll just tap my break pedal enough to light my break lights, not engage them, and this get s people to back off. Not sure about other provinces but I know when I took my Class 4 in Quebec they said it was a legal way to get people to pass or back off when tailgating.

andyt @ Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:08 pm

If riders are riding more than single file or way too far in the road I make a point of cutting close by them if I'm in a car. No excuse for that. No excuse tho if I'm by myself on the bike (when drivers feel more free to be dicks), riding exactly where I'm supposed to, and some guy just has to pass with oncoming traffic and tries to push me off the road. If i do catch him at the next light or such, all of a sudden he's not such a tough guy anymore.

OnTheIce @ Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm glad we're taking away a bunch of bike lanes in Toronto. The war on cars is over!

Caelon @ Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Andyt, I appreciate your comments from the other side. I admit I see a lot of bad driver behavior around cyclists in the city. Your comments add balance to the peeves I listed at the beginning. I like the idea of bike only paths so that cyclists can travel at a reasonable speed and not have to worry about pedestrians suddenly stepping across in front of them. They are also safe from larger vehicle traffic that they risk on the regular roadways. Bikes can be great for your health and reducing congestion on the streets if they are used wisely. What happens on city streets between angry drivers and cyclists is not pretty.

There are avid cyclists, who for recreation, will take a road bike out on the highways and put in many miles per day. Riding on a major highway can be a risk even when obeying all the rules. Secondary highways with wide shoulders are safer due to reduced traffic volume. Two lane shoulderless roads, while scenic and theoretically with even less traffic are a huge risk. It is dfficult for those riders who plan a ride of 50, 100 or more kilometers in a day to always stay on roads that reduce their risk of injury. Organized bike venues are the ultimate answer, but there is a cost that has to be covered somehow. Bike licensing fees are a possible source of revenue and it would help keep facilities in line with the number of users. The greater the number of bike riders (license fees)the more funds would be available for dedicated bike facilities.

Benn @ Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Something of interest that is thread related on bad cycling

www.winnipegsun.com/2011/07/06/cyclist- ... k-in-crash

Gunnair @ Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:21 pm

Andyt Andyt:
Can we add some for drivers?

Yup.

$1:
1.You do not have the right to pass a bike when it is not safe to do so. Wait until it is safe - ie no oncoming traffic. Bikes do not need to squeeze off the road to allow your majesty's passage

Fair enough. Stop passing vehicles on the right, especially when they are signalling to turn right.

$1:
2.Speeding past a bike and doing a sharp right just in front of them is not a good thing to do.

Speeding past a car and doing a sharp right turn in front of them is a stupid thing to do.

$1:
3.Seeing how close you can get to a bike while passing may be fun, but can result in tragedy.

Seeing how close you can get to a car while squeezing past may be fun but it's also stupid.

$1:
4.Throwing open your car door into the path of a cyclist is impolite to say the least

Cutting me off on a sidewalk is impolite to say the least.

$1:
5.Pulling out into traffic just in front of a bike because 'you're faster' isn't on.

Driving the opposite way on a one way street is ungood.

$1:
6. Throwing objects at cyclists and yelling "get off the road" just makes you look like an idiot.

Getting pissy for being called on your gross law breaking is childish.

$1:
7.Cyclists are deemed vehicles and have as much right to be on the road as you do unless specifically prohibited in that location. It is no more a privilege for them to be on the road than it is for you. Yelling "you don't have insurance" at them proves nothing.

Cyclists are indeed vehicles and should have as much responsibility and accountability as vehicles do.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/07/06/cyclist-charged-with-careless-driving-after-hitting-a-pedestrian/

bootlegga @ Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:53 am

Caelon Caelon:
4. Walk your bicycle through a cross walk do not ride it. If you want to ride it stay in the traffic lanes.

6. Do not ride the wrong way down a one way street. You are a vehicle and are breaking the law.

Those are my two biggest pet peeves when it comes to bikers - especially #4.

If you want to be treated as a pedestrian, get off your damned bike and walk it across or I won't stop for you.

You'd be surprised how many riders here in Edmonton seem to think I HAVE to stop for them when they plan on riding across a busy road.

Caelon Caelon:
If you are a biker that obeys the rules of the road and rides with common sense for your safety and others then I tip my hat to you.

Me too.

When I bike, I always obey the rules of the road, simply because in a war between a 10 pound bike and a 3000 pound car, the bike ALWAYS loses.

andyt @ Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Caelon Caelon:

Me too.

When I bike, I always obey the rules of the road, simply because in a war between a 10 pound bike and a 3000 pound car, the bike ALWAYS loses.

Unfortunately that won't always keep you safe. And that's the problem with the whole deal. If a cyclist does something stupid they pay for it and hopefully learn their lesson. If a driver does something stupid the cyclist pays for it and the driver continues to think of him/herself as king of the road. I had a driver come barging out of a parking lot, almost hit me, and when I yelled "hey you could have killed me," he yelled back "yeah I could." Somehow many drivers don't seem to think that the rules of the road also apply to how they act towards bicycles.

bootlegga @ Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:32 am

andyt andyt:
bootlegga bootlegga:
Caelon Caelon:

Me too.

Unfortunately that won't always keep you safe. And that's the problem with the whole deal. If a cyclist does something stupid they pay for it and hopefully learn their lesson. If a driver does something stupid the cyclist pays for it and the driver continues to think of him/herself as king of the road. I had a driver come barging out of a parking lot, almost hit me, and when I yelled "hey you could have killed me," he yelled back "yeah I could." Somehow many drivers don't seem to think that the rules of the road also apply to how they act towards bicycles.

Well, even when I drive, I'm always aware of larger vehicles than mine (which is 90% of vehicles in Alberta) and drive accordingly. IMHO, same goes for people on motorcycles - they have to be extra careful around other larger vehicles.

Just last weekend I saw an accident in Calgary where a small car tried to pass a semi on the Deerfoot and was literally squashed against the concrete road barrier (as the semi changed lanes) because the truck driver never saw the smaller car there.

I don't linger in blindspots, I don't cut them off, I don't try to pass them when there isn't enough room, I don't speed or drive aggressively, etc. It's called defensive driving and if more bike riders did it, there would be fewer accidents. Honestly, I see too many bikers who seem to think that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want to, and expect not have to accept the consequences of their poor decision making.

When I ride my bike, I avoid roads if at all possible (taking bike paths, bike routes, etc), and low and behold, in three decades of biking, I have never had an incident with a car.

If a biker travels with a chip on his/her shoulder and/or acts like they own the road - and unfortunately too many do - then I have no pity for them when they get hurt (same goes for people who drive aggressively in their cars/motorcycles). My condolences go out to those hurt by their stupidity - like their loved ones or other victims.

andyt @ Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:39 am

You must either have incredible cycling infrastructure in Edmonton or not cycle much. Pretty well impossible to avoid roads. And on longer rides even highways might factor into the mix. I've also never had an incident with a car, and that includes touring in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Lots of close calls from drivers with chips on their shoulder tho or mostly ones who were just oblivious.

Drivers need to get over the idea that they own the road. Yes cyclists need to obey the rules, you'd be nuts not to, but as I pointed out, there is some pretty severe feedback if a cyclist doesn't do so. Unfortunately the same doesn't apply to cars. The problem is that I can do everything right and I'm still only 50% of the equation.

canuckns @ Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:41 am

Caelon Caelon:
I seem to run across the stupid bicyle riders in my travels. If you recognize anyone in the list of peeves below please encourage them to change their behavior.

1. When riding in a group on a highway stay on the shoulder in single file formation. Do not ride side by side and do not drift over the white line. NEVER RIDE THREE ABREAST.

2. On rural paved roads with no shoulder you must have a suicicde wish to ride on it. Yes you have a right to the road and so do the other vehicles. So when two farm trucks hauling large round bales meet at the blind curve with no place to go to avoid you, you will be hit and possibly killed. Not to mention the other vehicles travelling at 100 kph to your 15 kph that cannot avoid you on that same blind curve.

3. For the stupid women who road in the traffic lane on a highway while her partner stayed on the shoulder. YOU ARE A TWIT. And your partner is only slightly brighter as though he was on the shoulder he did not correct your stupidity.

5. Do not ride your bike on pedestrian overpasses. You are risking injury to the pedestrians.

For the idiots who think it is their right to ride how and wherever they want and not a priviledge that is being abused with several laws broken on a regular basis; there will be a time when your actions will lead to serious injury or death. It will not be a comfort for your loved ones to stand over your grave and say "He was exercising his right to the road".

7. You are considered a motor vehicle and as such you must obey ALL traffic signs and signals. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve almost be hit by a cyclist running a stop sign or red light while I had the right of way in the crosswalk.

I wish bikes required license plates so you could report them like cars.

andyt @ Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:45 am

canuckns canuckns:
Caelon Caelon:

7. You are considered a motor vehicle and as such you must obey ALL traffic signs and signals. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve almost be hit by a cyclist running a stop sign or red light while I had the right of way in the crosswalk.

I wish bikes required license plates so you could report them like cars.

And that never happens with cars? I've been hit by a car confidently walking across the road where he had a stop sign. (I was 16 and it taught me a lesson) I've never been hit by a bike. And of course the favorite driver tactic - turning right, so looking left for oncoming cars, but not looking for peds who might be crossing at that time - ie you need to look both ways when making a turn. You'll see them driving right thru the crosswalk still looking back over their shoulder for oncoming cars instead of looking ahead where they're driving.

1  2  3  4  5  Next