Canada Kicks Ass
Cadets distributing poppies turned away at Edmonton Cabela's

1  2  Next

bootlegga @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:41 pm

$1:
A group of cadets volunteering to distribute Remembrance Day poppies were turned away at Cabela’s in North Edmonton, an act one legion representative calls disappointing.

“The management of Cabela’s informed them that, no, they weren’t welcome there,” said Greg Laskey, cadet liaison and poppy fund representative for the Royal Canadian Legion Norwood Branch.

According to Laskey, a group of volunteers dispatched from the Royal Canadian Legion Kingsway Branch for the kick-off of the Poppy Fund Campaign were invited to offer Remembrance Day poppies at the Cabela’s store at 15320 37 Ave. by an employee, the father of one of the cadets.

When they arrived, management allegedly told the volunteers they had to leave, saying the employee didn’t have the authority to allow them on the premises.

Laskey was surprised at the reaction, saying the cadets are generally welcomed across the city and are accustomed to working with local retailers and shopping malls to ensure they don’t disrupt customers.

This is the only time that Laskey can recall a cadet group canvassing for the poppy fund being ejected from a site.

“Things like that, it kind of rubs you the wrong way,” said Laskey.

Cabela’s Retail Canada Inc. could not be reached for comment. The cadets were dispatched to a new location without incident.

Canadians have been wearing the bright red Remembrance Day poppies since 1921 as a visual reminder to never forget Canadians who have laid down their lives during military operations.

The Royal Canadian Legion’s Poppy Fund campaign distributes the poppy pins annually while collecting donations to provide assistance for ex-servicemen and women in need. Canadian cadet organizations offer programming to help create youth leaders with a focus on strong Canadian and military values, and are an integral part of the annual poppy campaign.

While this incident at Cabela’s was disappointing, said Laskey, it was also the first year cadets have been stationed at Rexall Place during an Oilers Game, where volunteers raised over $3,500 in bills and filled three full buckets of change yet to be counted.

“We did very well, and people commended us for what we were doing,” Laskey said.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/11/02/c ... nton-store

Hey Gordon Gecko, greed ISN'T good...

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:46 pm

Obviously, some do forget.

xerxes @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:06 pm

This happens every year and it would seem, every year some manager somewhere forgets how bad it looks when one blindly follows some corporate diktat.

Zipperfish @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Yup. Next, cue the white poppy story. :lol:

Hyack @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:17 pm

Ive dealt with Cabela's mail order for very many years, usually for things unavailable anywhere else. If this turns out to be true, and they do nothing positive about it, my dealings with them come to an end.....now, aside from an email to them explaining my displeasure with them.

raydan @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:34 pm

We get this same story every year about this time... now, where's the white poppy thread? :?

raydan @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:35 pm

Damn it, Zip beat me to the white poppy story. :(

Goober911 @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Updated

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/11/03/c ... n-edmonton

William Fecteau, a volunteer with the Edmonton Poppy Office who served with the Royal Canadian Air Force for 42 years, explained that the leaders of this cadet group did not contact the correct person before arriving at the location, likely catching the manager off guard.

"It's unfortunate that this happened because Cabela's is a proud supporter of the Royal Canadian Legion Poppy Fund. We get donations from them every year, and they put honour boxes in their stores for us every year," said Fecteau.

In the written statement, Cournoyer added that Cabela's is hosting a hometown heroes event, where members of the military, fire fighters, police officers and paramedics can receive an employee discount to "thank them for their service" next week.

"Again, on behalf of myself and Cabela Canada's more than 1,600 employees, I deeply apologize for this unintentional mistake and thank everyone for their understanding and continued support," concludes the statement from Miller.

fifeboy @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:37 pm

God, but I miss the days when most hunting and fishing supplies were purchased at local hardware stores and blinds were made from branches, reeds and twine.

Zipperfish @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Goober911 Goober911:
Updated

William Fecteau, a volunteer with the Edmonton Poppy Office who served with the Royal Canadian Air Force for 42 years, explained that the leaders of this cadet group did not contact the correct person before arriving at the location, likely catching the manager off guard.

"It's unfortunate that this happened because Cabela's is a proud supporter of the Royal Canadian Legion Poppy Fund. We get donations from them every year, and they put honour boxes in their stores for us every year," said Fecteau.

In the written statement, Cournoyer added that Cabela's is hosting a hometown heroes event, where members of the military, fire fighters, police officers and paramedics can receive an employee discount to "thank them for their service" next week.

"Again, on behalf of myself and Cabela Canada's more than 1,600 employees, I deeply apologize for this unintentional mistake and thank everyone for their understanding and continued support," concludes the statement from Miller.

Ah, public debasement complete. Everything back to normal.

Goober911 @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Goober911 Goober911:
Updated

Ah, public debasement complete. Everything back to normal.

The minor wobble in the STC (Space Time Continuum) has been rectified.

Oh and for those that thought the Russian memorial to Steve Jobs was removed because the new CEO came out of the closet. Wrongo.
http://rt.com/news/201855-steve-jobs-memorial-gay/

QBC @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:54 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Bite your tongue..... :lol:

Public_Domain @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:00 pm

It's amazing how every year some guy thinks the company he works for needs to lose a lot of business in November.

Every freaking year.

Something tells me the manager has been given notice...

Goober911 @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:01 pm

QBC QBC:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Bite your tongue..... :lol:

My opinion on that. A day for the civilians who died would not be inappropriate.
Next- if someone wishes to wear it at a Remembrance Day ceremony, I am not going to get my water hot.
I would hope they wore both though.

Goober911 @ Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:03 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
It's amazing how every year some guy thinks the company he works for needs to lose a lot of business in November.

Every freaking year.

Something tells me the manager has been given notice...

As the link states they support the RCL and the Troops- someone screwed up. Time to move on as it is a non issue.

1  2  Next