Canada Kicks Ass
If Crowdfunding Sites Were Honest

1  2  Next

Scape @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:59 pm

raydan @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:04 pm

How can you give people money on the Internet when so much of it is fake? It takes a special kind of stupid, I guess.

DrCaleb @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:47 pm

It's that how the US pays for Healthcare now?

Scape @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:07 pm

raydan raydan:
How can you give people money on the Internet when so much of it is fake? It takes a special kind of stupid, I guess.

Flea markets were a thing till the internet too.

raydan @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:10 pm

Scape Scape:
raydan raydan:

I'm not really sure what your point is... that flea markets were fake, or selling fakes?

DrCaleb @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:25 pm

raydan raydan:
Scape Scape:
raydan raydan:

I'm not really sure what your point is... that flea markets were fake, or selling fakes?

People will waste their money on cheap sketchy shit. Might as well waste it feeling good about something.

Thanos @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:30 pm

The thing that freaks me out the most is that all the professional scale model builders on YouTube have Patreon accounts and on their list of donors there's always someone named "Josh". 8O :lol:

Scape @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:31 pm

Only difference between then and now is back then at least it was in person.

Thanos @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:39 pm

I like the way it's done in certain aspects though. Like with DogRates on Twitter, where they kick into high gear and within a couple of days have generated enough funding to help pay the veterinary costs for injured or sick dogs whose owners can't cover the bills themselves. That's the good side of it. As such I'll overlook the shitty part of sourcing because the decent side of it is obviously doing a lot of good for both people and animals in distress.

raydan @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:42 pm

Scape Scape:
Only difference between then and now is back then at least it was in person.

There's a sucker born every minute

Scape @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:46 pm

Yup. True then, true now. Just now you can do it with a mouse click or a tap on the phone in the middle of nowhere.

Amazed we made it this far.

raydan @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:49 pm

Thanos Thanos:
I like the way it's done in certain aspects though. Like with DogRates on Twitter, where they kick into high gear and within a couple of days have generated enough funding to help pay the veterinary costs for injured or sick dogs whose owners can't cover the bills themselves. That's the good side of it. As such I'll overlook the shitty part of sourcing because the decent side of it is obviously doing a lot of good for both people and animals in distress.

The question I'd have is how much is real, and how much is not. I just assume that it's all a scam. If I want to donate, I can find other places to do it than the Internet.

You can donate to veterinarians to help people pay for their pets procedures, when they can't.

DrCaleb @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:52 pm

raydan raydan:
You can donate to veterinarians to help people pay for their pets procedures, when they can't.

I always give to rescue societies, but you have to be careful with those too. Some are scams. But some have decades of history, and are well thought of.

Scape @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:55 pm

Reputation is the only metric that works. If you rely on word of mouth then your word is your bond. Break that, and you'll be out of clientele in a hurry.

Thanos @ Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:47 pm

You can tell the good ones quite easily from the bad ones. At a certain stage it becomes incumbent on the donor to make sure they're going with a real one instead of a fake. Past that all we can hope for is that the karmic goodness resulting from helping the legit cases massively outweighs any negativity from accidentally giving to a scammer.

1  2  Next