Canada Kicks Ass
The 'N' word

Scape @ Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:39 pm

Pardon My French

$1:
When a CBC host used the N-word in pre-production meetings, she was taken off the air. When the French arm of the public broadcaster, Radio-Canada, had a program just months later where the N-word was used four times in both languages, the broadcaster dismissed charges that there was anything wrong with the program. That is, until the CRTC stepped in and said an apology was in order.

Why two different responses at the same company in two languages? And why does the 1968 book by Pierre Vallières always seem to be at the heart of the controversy?

Cliff notes: if you say the N word in English you're canned (aka Wendy Mesley) but it is encouraged if you say it in French because what better way to say FU to the rest of Canada but by embracing racism?

DrCaleb @ Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:00 am

Scape Scape:
Pardon My French

$1:
That is, until the CRTC stepped in and said an apology was in order.

Cliff notes: if you say the N word in English you're canned (aka Wendy Mesley) but it is encouraged if you say it in French because what better way to say FU to the rest of Canada but by embracing racism?

I think people are missing the point here. Saying the word is bad in any language, but context is important. Quoting a book like "Huckleberry Finn' should be different than belting out Rap lyrics, or a Dave Chapelle routine.

The problem comes when the CRTC thinks it is the arbiter of free speech. :idea:

Scape @ Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:42 pm

The French have a cultural blind spot about their own imperialism and they cover it up with their hate of everyone else who has power over them real or perceived. It flares up in issues of racism. In a civil society this would have been called out, in our society we go too far with cultural appropriation we either don't allow talk at all about it (like native schools) or we go overboard and attack anyone who even says the word (aka Wendy M).

The French see anyone telling them how to act in their own culture as an affront to the honor. Like breaking up a fight between two siblings that then turn on you. Even if they are in the wrong who are you to say anything about it? In this manner racisms becomes normalized.