Canada Kicks Ass
August 21, 2017 — Great American Eclipse (Total Solar Eclips

1  2  3  4  Next

Hyack @ Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:42 pm

The total phase of this total solar eclipse will be visible from a narrow path spanning all across the USA from the West Coast to the East Coast. In the surrounding areas, which include all of mainland United States and Canada, the total eclipse 2017 will be a partial solar eclipse.

Check out the link below for great animations and information on viewing times for your location.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2017-august-21

Eclipses Come in Pairs!

A lunar eclipse always occurs about 2 weeks before or after a solar eclipse. On some occasions, a solar eclipse can be both preceded and followed by a lunar eclipse!

Preceding paired eclipse: August 7, 2017 — Partial Lunar Eclipse

xerxes @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:21 am

Annoyingly I'm at work today so I'm likely going to miss the 90% eclipse I can see fro my lattitude. Which is probably a good thing seeing as I don't have any special viewing glasses...

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:26 am

xerxes xerxes:
Annoyingly I'm at work today so I'm likely going to miss the 90% eclipse I can see fro my lattitude. Which is probably a good thing seeing as I don't have any special viewing glasses...

You can put a pin hole in a bit of paper, and use that to project the image on another paper or a white board.

Safer anyway, there are a lot of fake glasses out there that will cause serious eye damage.

BRAH @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:42 am

You could also try to use the selfie on a smart phone trying to capture it without looking up.

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:31 am

BRAH BRAH:
You could also try to use the selfie on a smart phone trying to capture it without looking up.

The CCD in your camera might wash out, due to the over stimulation of looking at the sun. Try taking a picture of the sun before the eclipse to see if it can handle it.

I've seen a couple total eclipses, and using your naked eye is an absolutely incredible experience. The thing I want to see with the eclipse in 2024 is I want to be high enough to view the shadow of the moon coming at me. Might have to do that from the Eastern US or parts of Quebec then.

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:34 am

Also - during totality, Mercury should be visible below (south) of the Moon. 8)

Pretty rare we see Mercury, due to it's orbit and proximity to the Sun.

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:36 am

"Here’s what happens to your retina if you view an eclipse without protection"

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/08 ... rotection/

raydan @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:50 am

The last total I saw was March 7th, 1970... and yes, I was living in NS at the time.

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:01 am

raydan raydan:
The last total I saw was March 7th, 1970... and yes, I was living in NS at the time.

Someone wrote a song about you! ;)

I saw the one in 1979, almost right over me!

It got me hooked on eclipse, and Astronomy in general. :)

raydan @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:04 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Someone wrote a song about you! ;)

Nope... wasn't me. 8O

martin14 @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:17 am

xerxes xerxes:

welding mask will work.
I hear torch goggles may not be the safest.

Hyack @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:41 am

martin14 martin14:
xerxes xerxes:

welding mask will work.

Welding glasses with lenses of AT LEAST #12 shade, preferably a #14.

PluggyRug @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:45 am

martin14 martin14:
xerxes xerxes:

welding mask will work.

Torch goggles, no good
Welding helmet shade 12 or darker.

Edit....what Hyack said.

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
martin14 martin14:
xerxes xerxes:

welding mask will work.

Torch goggles, no good
Welding helmet shade 12 or darker.

Edit....what Hyack said.

Autodimming helmet would probably be bad. It won't react enough to the Sun, and might not dim far enough to be equal to #14.

Tricks @ Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:12 am

12 works great, I've got a couple plates and there is no strain to the eye at all.

1  2  3  4  Next