Canada Kicks Ass
Omnibus Climate Change thread

Previous  1 ... 58  59  60  61  62  63  64 ... 69  Next

DrCaleb @ Mon May 02, 2022 6:12 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
$1:
Heat wave in India threatens residents and crucial wheat harvest

Some states in India’s breadbasket northern and central regions are forecast to hit highs of 120 degrees this week.

A record-breaking heat wave in India exposing hundreds of millions to dangerous temperatures is damaging the country’s wheat harvest, which experts say could hit countries seeking to make up imports of the food staple from conflict-riven Ukraine.

With some states in India’s breadbasket northern and central regions seeing forecasts with highs of 120 Fahrenheit this week, observers fear a range of lasting impacts, both local and international, from the hot spell.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi told U.S. President Joe Biden earlier this month that India could step in to ease the shortfall created by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The two countries account for nearly a third of all global wheat exports, and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization has warned that the conflict could leave an additional 8 million to 13 million people undernourished by next year.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environ ... -rcna26032

India and Pakistan heat wave is 'testing the limits of human survivability,' expert says

DrCaleb @ Mon May 02, 2022 6:27 am

Landslide closes Robert Service Way and Millennium Trail in Whitehorse

Why is this in the Climate Change thread? Because the area called 'the Clay Cliffs' has long been monitored in the event of a slide, and this year has been seeing record precipitation that caused the slide.

DrCaleb @ Mon May 02, 2022 8:49 am

Ontario's feral goldfish population is exploding and climate change may be to blam

DrCaleb @ Mon May 02, 2022 8:57 am

Researchers in the rye: Alberta scientists studying environmental benefits of perennial grains

bootlegga @ Mon May 02, 2022 8:58 am

Las Vegas’ water intake now visible at drought-stricken Lake Mead

Lake Powell officials face an impossible choice in the West's megadrought: Water or electricity

Or you know, they could shut down the golf courses they built in the desert...

bootlegga @ Mon May 02, 2022 11:33 am

He makes a really strong case for nuclear power, instead of wind and solar.

DrCaleb @ Mon May 02, 2022 12:00 pm

It does have to be a balance. Wind and Solar + storage makes for good response times for variability - but Nuclear is best at taking up the big constant loads.

DrCaleb @ Tue May 03, 2022 9:28 am

Will electric vehicles kill off gas stations? Fuel companies prepare for an uncertain future

bootlegga @ Tue May 03, 2022 10:40 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Will electric vehicles kill off gas stations? Fuel companies prepare for an uncertain future

It may affect some gas stations, but I bet a lot of them will transition to putting chargers where they have gas pumps now.

The difference is I think in cities the numbers will certainly shrink, as most people will charge at home, work, or on public chargers at the mall/library/rec centre, etc.

The place where they will need to expand will be in locations with lots of travellers like Gasoline Alley, the mountain parks, and other areas with lots of tourists. Even if every restaurant in Gasoline Alley added a couple, there would still be a huge shortage of them because even superchargers now take 15-20 minutes to recharge a battery - that means every charger can only recharge 3 or 4 cars/hour. If even 10% of the 27,000+ drivers stop in Red Deer to recharge, there will need to be several hundred chargers installed to meet the demand.

Even still, I don't foresee too many people doing any sort of long distance travel with EVs in the near future, because if you need to stop and recharge for 15-20 minutes every hour or two (assuming there is somewhere to recharge), it's going to add a lot of time to your driving vacation.

EDIT: And having now read the article, it looks like my thoughts on this were pretty close.

bootlegga @ Tue May 03, 2022 11:12 am

Interesting read...

How realistic is it to take a road trip with an electric vehicle?

DrCaleb @ Tue May 03, 2022 12:12 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

It may affect some gas stations, but I bet a lot of them will transition to putting chargers where they have gas pumps now.

They will if they are smart. Gas stations have to be left empty for 7 years after decommissioning, because of the risk of fuel in the soil. Putting electric chargers on premises means they can still earn money after the petrol is gone.

Perhaps there will even be a trend back to the diner in the mean time.

housewife @ Tue May 03, 2022 7:25 pm

Yes! Weekly shopping in town then to the diner for a drink and something sweet! I miss those days diner staff knew everyone and their usual orders!

DrCaleb @ Wed May 04, 2022 5:56 am

One of the better restaurants in the area is still the super (former) Husky 24 hour truck stop. Good food, and cheap. Also has private showers and rooms for rent, because of all the truckers who stop over. Now it's an Esso, but still has the 'Husky' signs on it.

If you have to wait 20 minutes for your car to charge, you might as well grab a bite too.

bootlegga @ Wed May 04, 2022 9:43 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

They will if they are smart. Gas stations have to be left empty for 7 years after decommissioning, because of the risk of fuel in the soil. Putting electric chargers on premises means they can still earn money after the petrol is gone.

Perhaps there will even be a trend back to the diner in the mean time.

Based on your article, companies are trying to figure out how to keep people engaged for the 30 to 45 minutes they have to wait to charge their vehicle, and restaurants are one of the options, and though I'm not a dog person, the dog park seems like a good idea. I think a variety of options will be necessary, because you can't eat every couple hours if you're travelling a long distance. I think some sort of entertainment option, like a kids playland or watching shows on Disney Plus or Netflix might be a painless way to spend the time.

Still, until a long endurance battery is developed, long distance road trips (like driving across Canada or to Disneyland) will be unfeasible because of the time to recharge every few hours. And that will hurt the economy in a massive way, because there has been literally billions of dollars invested in rest stops, gas stations, hotels, etc. over the past 70 years, and if it goes away, there will be massive job losses and a huge economic hit. As bad as the internal combustion engine has been for the climate, it has generated trillions of dollars of economic activity in North America since the 1950s.

DrCaleb @ Wed May 04, 2022 10:15 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
As bad as the internal combustion engine has been for the climate, it has generated trillions of dollars of economic activity in North America since the 1950s.

It absolutely has, and the change will be painful. But another thing that Petrochemical economy has brought is the overwhelming political clout of the oil industry, and I can't wait for that to end. Corruption world wide has been funded by drawing oil from the ground, from the Sultan of Brunei, the House of Saud, the entire Nigerian Government, to Exxon Mobile.

If you have a chance, watch the Frontline series I've been linking to. It's a real eye opener how much the influence Petroleum industry has over society.

Previous  1 ... 58  59  60  61  62  63  64 ... 69  Next