Canada Kicks Ass
Omnibus Climate Change thread

Previous  1 ... 62  63  64  65  66  67  68 ... 135  Next

Scape @ Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:23 pm

Scientists urge the world to wake up as yet another dire climate record is broken carbon dioxide measured at NOAA 421 parts per million in May.

Scape @ Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRD66T8 ... WL&index=3

DrCaleb @ Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:03 am

Solar and wind keep getting cheaper as the field becomes smarter

Scape @ Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:04 pm

A study has found that there is now a 42% chance that the world may already be locked in to at least 1.5 degrees C of warming above pre-industrial levels, even if emissions are halted today

Strutz @ Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:03 pm

$1:
An investigation into hundreds of deaths in British Columbia during a weather phenomenon known as a "heat dome" showed that nearly all the deaths occurred indoors.

Chief Coroner Lisa Lapointe and a death-review panel released a report Tuesday, saying 98 per cent of the deaths happened inside. The report also revealed that 67 per cent of those who died were aged 70 or older and 56 per cent lived alone.

Extreme heat in 2021 claimed 619 lives across the province as temperatures broke records and surpassed 40 C for several days in a row in late June and early July. B.C. saw quadruple the number of deaths the region typically sees during that time.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/coroners-review-r ... -1.5936108

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:03 am

Our homes are built for winter. They trap heat, and don't let it out. :(

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:23 am

There’s no healthy economy (or planet) without healthy forests

housewife @ Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:38 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Yes and no. Our homes are built to cut down on heat transfer which can work to keep heat out. But unlike older homes there isn’t any thought to outside air flow. There’s no cross venting windows and doors don’t line up. People also don’t realize how important it is to at least close south facing windows and close the drapes too. As long as you work to keep the heat out same way you work to keep the cold out.

Scape @ Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:45 pm

They recommended AC become a medical expense. I'm fine with that.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:33 pm

housewife housewife:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Yes and no. Our homes are built to cut down on heat transfer which can work to keep heat out. But unlike older homes there isn’t any thought to outside air flow. There’s no cross venting windows and doors don’t line up. People also don’t realize how important it is to at least close south facing windows and close the drapes too. As long as you work to keep the heat out same way you work to keep the cold out.

I was always taught to keep the south side buttoned down in the heat.

Scape Scape:

Heat pumps are better, as they use less electricity and therefore fewer carbon emissions. If only they worked better in the cold.

Tricks @ Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:42 pm

In some cases AC(or heatpump) can at least get a tax deduction if someone gets a recommendation from a doctor because of allergies/asthma/respiratory stuff. Normally goes alone with robust filtering.

housewife @ Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:30 am

My mother has ac as a medical expense and all the expensive filters. Has for years.

The thing is the way our houses and cities are designed they hold heat. We need southern facing for passive heat in the cold months but in the summer it’s too much. Everything radiates heat once the sun goes down. Our house is almost impossible to get a cross breeze if I’m lucky and the wind swirls around the housing development just right I can get some. It’s simply not built for any real passive heating or cooling. I imagine it’s much worse in apartments

bootlegga @ Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:53 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Scape Scape:

Heat pumps are better, as they use less electricity and therefore fewer carbon emissions. If only they worked better in the cold.

There's a guy from Edmonton on Twitter (https://twitter.com/audricmoses) who uses a heat pump and swears it's just fine for most days during our winters. However, his set-up looks pretty expensive, and so out of reach for a lot of people.

$1:
So for my many friends posting "Thank oil and gas for being able to survive these temperatures:" I don't disagree with you, BUT -- it's no longer the only way. We are nice and cozy here at -40 with NO gas line to the house. This is thanks to a few things: 1/n

1) great insulation: offset double stud walls for a total of 10" of thickness, insulated with dense-packed cellulose
2) an airtight building envelope rated at 0.6 air changes/hour
3) a @DettsonHVAC air-source heat pump coupled to backup electric furnace for very cold days 2/n

4) Venmar heat-recovery ventilator, which brings fresh air in, while recovering most of the heat from exhaust air
5) air-source heat pump hot water tank, that extracts heat from basement air and transfers it to the water
6) solar PV (optional)
7) triple-paned windows
3/n

https://twitter.com/audricmoses/status/ ... 4lrXoCSd2Q

bootlegga @ Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:10 am

Strutz Strutz:
$1:
An investigation into hundreds of deaths in British Columbia during a weather phenomenon known as a "heat dome" showed that nearly all the deaths occurred indoors.

Chief Coroner Lisa Lapointe and a death-review panel released a report Tuesday, saying 98 per cent of the deaths happened inside. The report also revealed that 67 per cent of those who died were aged 70 or older and 56 per cent lived alone.

Extreme heat in 2021 claimed 619 lives across the province as temperatures broke records and surpassed 40 C for several days in a row in late June and early July. B.C. saw quadruple the number of deaths the region typically sees during that time.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/coroners-review-r ... -1.5936108

It's only going to get worse as time goes on unfortunately. This report from the Intact Centre on Climate Adaption is pretty worrying:

https://www.intactcentreclimateadaptati ... e-Heat.pdf

Cities in southern Canada and depending on how we do on reducing carbon emissions, will see a doubling, tripling, or almost quadrupling of the number of +30 days they now get per year. Kelowna will go from about 25 to over 60, Regina will go from under 20 to about 52, Toronto and Montreal will go from about a dozen to 54, etc. And the warmest maximum temperature could soar from the low 30s to almost 40 in many of those cities, while the length of heat waves will get longer too.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:08 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Scape Scape:

There's a guy from Edmonton on Twitter (https://twitter.com/audricmoses) who uses a heat pump and swears it's just fine for most days during our winters. However, his set-up looks pretty expensive, and so out of reach for a lot of people.

I saw a builder on Youtube who built a super efficient home; 8" walls, heavy foam insulation, special attic space, deep windows - the whole nine yards. Said he could heat it in winter with a hairdryer. But it was in Seattle area, so might take more than that up here.

I also saw another guy who used in floor hot water, powered by tankless hot water heaters and PV solar and rooftop wind for power. Also very cool. And hot. ;)

Adaptation is possible, we just have to want it.

Previous  1 ... 62  63  64  65  66  67  68 ... 135  Next