Canada Kicks Ass
Twelve Debunked Climate Scares We Can Laugh at in 2019

1  2  3  Next

N_Fiddledog @ Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:59 pm

"2019 won’t be the year the climate change scare finally dies, unfortunately. But the people pushing it will look increasingly desperate, sad and piteously short of evidence to support their junk science theories.
Here, courtesy of the Global Warming Policy Forum, are the top twelve climate scares debunked in 2018. Share it with your alarmist friends to wish them a happy, sceptical New Year."

$1:
January 2018: Worst-case global warming scenarios not credible: Study
PARIS (AFP) – Earth’s surface will almost certainly not warm up four or five degrees Celsius by 2100, according to a study released Wednesday (Jan 17) which, if correct, voids worst-case UN climate change predictions.

A revised calculation of how greenhouse gases drive up the planet’s temperature reduces the range of possible end-of-century outcomes by more than half, researchers said in the report, published in the journal Nature.

February: ‘Sinking’ Pacific nation Tuvalu is actually getting bigger, new research reveals
The Pacific nation of Tuvalu — long seen as a prime candidate to disappear as climate change forces up sea levels — is actually growing in size, new research shows.

A University of Auckland study examined changes in the geography of Tuvalu’s nine atolls and 101 reef islands between 1971 and 2014, using aerial photographs and satellite imagery.

It found eight of the atolls and almost three-quarters of the islands grew during the study period, lifting Tuvalu’s total land area by 2.9 percent, even though sea levels in the country rose at twice the global average.

March: BBC forced to retract false claim about hurricanes
You may recall the above report by the BBC, which described how bad last year’s Atlantic hurricane season was, before commenting at the end: “A warmer world is bringing us a greater number of hurricanes and a greater risk of a hurricane becoming the most powerful category 5.” I fired off a complaint, which at first they did their best to dodge. After my refusal to accept their reply, they have now been forced to back down

April: Corals can withstand another 100-250 Years of climate change, new study
Heat-tolerant genes may spread through coral populations fast enough to give the marine creatures a tool to survive another 100-250 years of warming in our oceans.

May: Climate change causes beaches to grow by 3,660 square kilometers
Since 1984 humans have gushed forth 64% of our entire emissions from fossil fuels. (Fully 282,000 megatons of deplorable carbon “pollution”.) During this time, satellite images show that 24% of our beaches shrank, while 28% grew. Thus we can say that thanks to the carbon apocalypse there are 3,660 sq kms more global beaches now than there were thirty years ago.

June: Antarctica not losing ice, NASA researcher finds
NASA glaciologist Jay Zwally says his new study will show, once again, the eastern Antarctic ice sheet is gaining enough ice to offset losses in the west.

July: National Geographic admits they were wrong about notorious starving polar bear-climate claims
The narrative behind the viral photo of a polar bear starving, reportedly thanks to climate change, has been called into question by the National Geographic photographer who took it in the first place.

August: New study shows declining risk and increasing resilience to extreme weather in France
This risk factor for French residents of cities stricken by a disaster has been falling with every passing decade.

September: Coral bleaching is a natural event that has gone on for centuries, new study
Coral bleaching has been a regular feature of the Great Barrier Reef for the past 400 years, with evidence of repeated mass events dating back to well before Euro­pean settlement and the start of the industrial revolution.

October: Climate predictions could be wrong in UK and Europe
Current climate change predictions in the UK and parts of Europe may be inaccurate, a study conducted by researchers from the University of Lincoln, UK, and the University of Liège, Belgium, suggests.

November: Number and intensity of US hurricanes have remained constant since 1900
There’s been “no trend” in the number and intensity of hurricanes hitting the continental U.S. and the normalized damages caused by such storms over the past 117 years, according to a new study.

December: Alarmist sea level rise scenarios unlikely, says climate scientist Judith Curry
A catastrophic rise in sea levels is unlikely this century, with recent experience falling within the range of natural variability over the past several thousand years, according to a report on peer-­reviewed studies by US climate scientist Judith Curry.

Links supporting claims at:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019 ... t-in-2019/

BartSimpson @ Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:36 pm

The apocalypse has been rescheduled from 2100 to 2200.

Whatever catastrophe is being predicted will now be scheduled to occur AFTER 2100 and not before.

Please notify the appropriate anti-capitalist alarmists. :wink:

Douwe @ Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:50 pm

These scenarios are all very interesting, but they probably don't matter much in the long run. The shift to greener forms of energy appears to be in full swing not because of fears of global warming, but because it is simply superior technology and over the long run superior technology generally wins in spite of stubborn resistance to change.

Freakinoldguy @ Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:48 am

Douwe Douwe:
These scenarios are all very interesting, but they probably don't matter much in the long run. The shift to greener forms of energy appears to be in full swing not because of fears of global warming, but because it is simply superior technology and over the long run superior technology generally wins in spite of stubborn resistance to change.

And that won't be a bad thing. But, I'll be damned if the progressive acolytes can force me to live with bad or inferior technology that diminishes my quality of life instead of enhancing it, just so they can feel better about themselves and make obscene amounts of money.

So, let's make sure the technology is there, works and is effective before we go insane and shoot ourselves in the foot while rushing headlong to virtue signal the rest of the world about how progressive we are.

llama66 @ Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:33 am

I mean, some of those "myths" are just revisions of dates.
1. 100-250 year, on a geologic scale or in reference to the age of the coral it's self, is mere minutes.
2. Breitbart cites a blog as a source for the BBC hurricane claim. Literally the laziest in reporting. Blogs are the least credible form of news.

The rest of their sources came from ostensibly a reliable, but the same source for all of them. Which makes me somewhat suspicious... Were there no other sources to support their 12 claims?

I do think the climate is changing, whether its man-made, man-influenced or entirely natural I dunno. I do know we seem to have hotter summers and more fucked up winters, what this means... I dunno. At the end of the day, it wouldn't kill us to start researching and developing greener tech. Contrary to the Treehuggers of the world we don't have to implement the change tomorrow.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:47 am

llama66 llama66:
Contrary to the Treehuggers of the world we don't have to implement the change tomorrow.

How do you know? Evidence suggests that a runaway greenhouse effect has been triggered by sudden release of emissions that sustained the effect for thousands of years.

$1:
The findings also suggest that climate change today could have long-lasting impacts on global temperature even if humans are able to curb greenhouse gas emissions.

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-ancient-c ... years.html

That's one of the things we don't know about climate change; at what point does the effect trigger other effects that can cause a 'runaway' situation?

llama66 @ Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:04 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
llama66 llama66:
Contrary to the Treehuggers of the world we don't have to implement the change tomorrow.

How do you know? Evidence suggests that a runaway greenhouse effect has been triggered by sudden release of emissions that sustained the effect for thousands of years.

I don't. The counter to that is, how do they know? I do know, that the instantaneous retooling of our economy will probably lead to even more socioeconomic upheavals. I mean as a species, we can barely deal with the upheavals the information age has wrought. Imagine just changing track to embrace green tech while simultaneously ditching carbon based energy what unintended shit that would/could cause...

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:22 am

llama66 llama66:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
llama66 llama66:

I don't. The counter to that is, how do they know?

They don't. But they do know that the runaway greenhouse effect caused or contributed to a mass extinction. Mass extinction is bad.

llama66 llama66:
I do know, that the instantaneous retooling of our economy will probably lead to even more socioeconomic upheavals. I mean as a species, we can barely deal with the upheavals the information age has wrought. Imagine just changing track to embrace green tech while simultaneously ditching carbon based energy what unintended shit that would/could cause...

So far, green tech is proving quite profitable. I agree, that we can't do an about face so quickly because our economy isn't that agile. But it also means that we shouldn't put it off because of what we don't know the effects will be. We do know what the effects will be if we do nothing, and sooner is better.

It doesn't have to be tomorrow, but the end of February is good. ;)

llama66 @ Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 am

I'm actually thinking of creating a factory, and all it does is pump carbons into the air and create a high pressure bubble around Calgary. Once the daily average temperature is 20C I'll turn it off. This in no way is influenced by my utter hatred of cold weather.

N_Fiddledog @ Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:11 am

llama66 llama66:
I'm actually thinking of creating a factory, and all it does is pump carbons into the air and create a high pressure bubble around Calgary. Once the daily average temperature is 20C I'll turn it off. This in no way is influenced by my utter hatred of cold weather.

I have a spare Soda Stream I can lend you.

llama66 @ Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:20 am

good, good. Now all I need is a trillion more and my plan for a warmer Calgary will be complete.

BartSimpson @ Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:36 am

Douwe Douwe:

"Superior" technology would be freely adopted by the market and would not require billions in subsidies to make the technology cheaper than readily available and proven technologies.

Also, no one needs to be shamed into or intimidated into adopting a truly superior technology.

Given that the climate alarmists who recently met up at Davos traveled there on 1500+ private jets instead of using solar powered aircraft then the fact remains that even those fuckfaces understand what is the actual 'superior' technology.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:30 am

Douwe Douwe:

Um, I'm not sure how superior a 5000 yr old technology like wind power is. I just about swallowed my tongue laughing when some dipwad in Ontario defended the stupid windmills we have by calling coal power 200 yr old technology and sniffed derisively at the absurdity of using it to solve a 21st century problem. Yeah, using 200 yr old technology is absurd but using 5000 yr old technology is the epitome of brilliance and forward thinking.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:38 am

Like that 100,000 year old tech called 'the wheel'. Who even uses those any more?

herbie @ Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:40 am

Does that mean the people of Iceland are really, really stupid for using 4 billion year old geothermal when they could be importing West Virginia coal instead?

1  2  3  Next