Canada Kicks Ass
Why Some Scientists Say Global Warming Is Out...

Previous  1  2

DrCaleb @ Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:38 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Seems to me lots of people who claim to be climate scientists are not actually climate scientists. To me it's irrelevant whether or not they are certified by some college, all that matters is whether or not they can make their case.

And that's what gets you into this dilemma. Believing people who are unqualified to speak on a subject is how you get to believing in unsubstantiated theories.

There are people out there who will tell you that giving a hyperactive child drastically diluted saliva of a rabid dog will cure them. And there are people that will listen to that advice. Both of these groups are suspect.

The purpose of a College or University is to test whether people have knowledge, and a certificate from those institutions is a contract that they know what they claim. That's why a diploma from the 'Institute of Homeopathy' is considered a joke. Institutes are also regulated, in that they are audited to show they teach and test to certain standards. For example, the 'Institute of Homeopathy'is not accredited by anyone, because no one can accredit a witch doctor.

Now, a Professor of Math and Astrophysics is probably a very smart person. But they are probably completely unqualified to fix my car. ;)

Finding people who know what they are talking about is a very difficult thing now that everyone and their donkey has the megaphone of the internet behind them.

Thanos @ Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:13 am

Whoops!

https://www.foxnews.com/science/an-enti ... -the-waves

$1:
An entire Hawaiian island has vanished under the waves in the wake of Hurricane Walaka.

East Island, which is part of the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument and serves as a critical habitat for endangered Hawaiian monk seals and sea turtles, was basically washed away earlier this month, federal officials said Monday.

“I had a holy s--t moment, thinking ‘Oh my God, it’s gone,’” Chip Fletcher, a University of Hawaii climate scientist, told Honolulu Civil Beat. Fletcher added that it's another issue "in the wall of the network of ecosystem diversity on this planet that is being dismantled.”

Hurricane Walaka, one of the most intense Pacific storms ever, reached Category 5 in early October with maximum sustained winds of 160 mph and an extremely strong storm surge.

Scientists say the storm's massive surge, as well as rising sea levels resulting from climate change, factored into the island's disappearance.

Fletcher, who was doing research in July on East Island, told the news outlet he figured the tiny island would be underwater eventually but thought it would take a few decades for rising seas to eliminate it.

Clearly caused by the planetary refrigeration mechanism being set too cold. :roll:

Previous  1  2