Canada Kicks Ass
Military Spending

Previous  1  2  3  4  5

rearguard @ Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:31 pm

[QUOTE BY= Dr Caleb]<br /> So, if you're going to put a target on yourself, perhaps you shouldn't be surprised at all the red dots directly over your heart?[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> LOL Nice one Caleb.<br /> <br /> I hope everyone can laugh at that, including AngusThermopyle. <br /> <br /> Nothing like opening a window to freshen the air. Time to move on I hope.<br />

AngusThermopyle @ Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:39 pm

Good day. Home now. Actually, yes, I did enjoy that comment, it showed some wit and wasn't just a display of name calling. Now, I want to re-read the post by rearguard as he had some questions for me to answer. I will endevour to post the answers shortly.

AngusThermopyle @ Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:06 pm

I will try to provide satisfactory answers now to the questions posed.<br /> Point one: use of military resources in time of disaster.<br /> It is true that military weapons are for the most part ill suited for civilian disaster scenario situations. However, the military is the perfect agency for immediate response to said disasters. No other organization in the country has the infrastructure or personel in place to respond as meaningfully or effectively as the military does. Military training is suited as it doesn't just focus on combat skills. A huge amount of training is focused on planning and management. The military has refined it's logistics capabilities to the point where the movement of men and material is accomplished with seeming ease. It isn't easy, far from it, it just appears that way to observers. A large disciplined force can and will acomplish a great deal very efficiently. Each person knows the role they play and execute said role in a professional manner.<br /> Equipement ill suited to the task:<br /> Actually, if you think about it the equipment we use is very well suited to a wide variety of tasks. We spend relatively little on weapons. A great deal of our equipment is deigned to sustain people under the harshest and most varied of conditions. We can move people over extremely difficult terrain. We can provide heat, power, hot meals, and fresh water where their is non. (As in the ice storm)<br /> Disaster training:<br /> The military does a great deal of disaster training.In fact I spent two years on the NERT team in Halifax. NERT stands for Nuclear Emergency Response Team. This doesn't mean that we train for the aftermath of nuclear war. It means we train for any nuclear disaster that might arise. Something like a Reactor emergency, or perhaps a radiological material spill. (We do transport radioactive material across this country)Each base across the country has its team of people who train for disaster response, in time of disaster, they command and co-ordinate personell in response to the particular disaster.<br /> One thing I did directly in a military capacity for Canada:<br /> I already answered that one. when the flood and ice storm happened, I didn't just say "hmmm, think I'll take some leave and go slog through mud and water for a while for fun" I was directed to go, in a military capacity. same for the ice storm, everyone we had within reasonable range, went.<br /> As for your last point about hostility towards corrupt government. Well, I happen to share a similar feeling. Many times I have railed against government policy, however, I took an oath to my country. Further, I was aware that it is better to be a part of an organization and work to affect some small change than it is to just bleat sheaplike, but affect no change whatsoever.<br /> Now, on to my statement about ignorance. In more than a few places on these forums I have seen it said that a video game will provide all the training the military requires. Therin lies the crux of my statement. I dont care who is offended, I just have to say that that is one of the most ignorant things I've heard in a very long time. It shows a total lack of knowledge relating to the subject being discussed. I defy any who consider themselves to be rational to refute this.<br /> Well, I hope that answered your questions.<br /> Oh, by the way, I was never an officer, I was a non comissioned member.

Diogenes @ Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:38 pm

Stewie: “In more than a few places on these forums I have seen it said that a video game will provide all the training the military requires. Therin lies the crux of my statement. I dont care who is offended, I just have to say that that is one of the most ignorant things I've heard in a very long time. It shows a total lack of knowledge relating to the subject being discussed.”<br /> Well Stewie, The concept of using computer games is not unheard of Until I see otherwise I will give you benefit of doubt on the “all the training” part<br /> <br /> <br /> http://www.gamedev.net/columns/events/sgs2004/ <br /> refers to the US military maybe Canada can’t afford them<br /> <br /> http://sptimes.com/2005/02/20/Worldandnation/Did_the_Army_get_out_.shtml <br /> <br /> WASHINGTON - In a unique deal with Hollywood, the Army spent more than $5-million in taxpayer money to create Full Spectrum Warrior, a video game that was supposed to teach soldiers about urban combat.<br /> <br /> The Army got what some say is a mediocre training tool, but the companies that designed the game got a sweet deal.<br /> Stewie: “I defy any who consider themselves to be rational to refute this.” <br /> Ah, Stewie? would care for a flagon of whine with your order of crow?<br /> <br />

AngusThermopyle @ Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:02 pm

Ah, Diogenes, no crow being eaten here. The US army did get a sour deal. No video game will teach how it feels to actually fire a live weapon. I'm a gamer, love games, love counterstrike. Never for a second do I believe what I'm doing is even close to reality though. Did you know that amongst profesionals the US military and their training standards are considered to be very poor? Certainly they have money, they have men, and they have equipment. Thats it, thus they have to feild great amounts of all of them to acomplish what smaller better trained forces can. A video game can not teach judgement under stressfull situations, nor can it teach compassion. It cant teach you to staunch the flow of blood from a child wounded by armed thugs. The only thing that can teach that is getting red to your elbows and doing it. Even practical training in a simulated environment falls short of the mark. I stand by what I said. I've done it, not just read about it.

Diogenes @ Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:01 pm

There is a tactic, the name of which I have forgotten, the tactic is in response to go wandering off in some long winded ramble where the poor listener (in this case reader) falls into a hypnotic trance to seek relief from the abundance of irrelevant info streaming at him.<br /> Stewie, Hats off to ya Bro. You have it in spades <br /> While not conceding will nor make any wrong, it will also not make any right.<br /> <br /> I will admit you have toned down a degree or two, and for that I am thankful<br /> This is a tough house to play and thus far you seemed not to have won any over nor made points<br /> If you prefer to have your crow served cold that to can be accommodated <br /> <br /> In this age of AI and computer technology I would prefer to see cyber soldiers or Virtual reality war games but then all those ego that cry for recognition, what would they do?<br /> <br /> The reasons for war are never as stated and how the warmongers see their charges is the biggest sin of all.<br /> <br /> <br /> <br />

Previous  1  2  3  4  5