Canada raring to go against U.S.

Newsbot @ Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Title: Canada raring to go against U.S.
Category: Business
Posted By: DanSC
Date: 2011-06-06 21:50:23
Canadian

GreenTiger @ Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Is there some bad blood going on here or is it just two very spirited teams going against each other?

DanSC @ Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:10 pm

In the 2007 semifinals, Canada had a goal disallowed against the USA by an offsides call that was thisclose, so there is some bad blood.

rickc @ Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:03 am

Lets call a spade a spade and admit that neither country really gives a shit about mens soccer. Its just not either country's favorite sport. The U.S. and Canada are years behind the rest of the world when it comes to mens soccer. The Womens teams are far ahead of the mens because it is a noncontact sport. It was pushed for women to play along with basketball and softball. Playing soccer was not veiwed as a manly sport in Canada or the States for the longest time. I am not knocking the athletes that play the sport. I realize that some of the worlds greateast athletes play soccer. You do not see too many fat soccer players. I have a respect for the sport. I am mearly pointing out the prevailing attitude toward the sport in Canada and the States. Lets say that this U.S. Canada match was on tonight at the same time as the Vancouver/ Boston game. How do think the ratings would match up? What event would command the top advertising Dollar? Its a no brainer.

I would like to see mens soccer taken much more seriously in the States and Canada. We play several sports in North America where the rest of the world does not compete against us [ football, basketball, baseball, hockey]. Than we have the audacity to call ourselves world champions when we are victorious. The rest of the world is laughing about it. Other than the Olympics, the world cup is the only sport where you can realisticly call yourself a world champion. This is the sport that the rest of the world has chosen to be top dog. I think it is way past time to give this sport the respect it deserves. If feels much better when you are kicking the whole worlds ass, and not just another city in North America. We are arriving at that destination in the States, slowly but surely. That is one thing that I am gratefull to immigration for. As we export our way of life to the world, we have to be ready to accept some of theirs back in return.Quid pro quid if you will. I honestly believe that I will see a U.S. mens world cup victory in my lifetime. Not soon, but in the next 20 years it is conceivable.

DanSC @ Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:23 am

rickc rickc:
The U.S. and Canada are years behind the rest of the world when it comes to mens soccer.

Yet one country had been to the last few World Cups, and the other has not XD

peck420 @ Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:16 am

One has 18 million players.

One has 2.6 million players.

One has begun building a soccer talent pool.

One relies on the provinces and cities to 'figure it out'.

One will eventually be one of the top teams globally.

One will remain 3rd tier unless changes are made.

Dragon-Dancer @ Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:47 am

Soccer is actually a pretty big sport in Canada at least with kids. Most Canadian kids have played soccer on a team at some point but most don't persist any further than that.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:17 am

Soccer is big in the USA but mostly it's viewed as a sport for girls like LaCrosse. No offense intended, just saying.

DanSC @ Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:49 am

peck420 peck420:
One has 18 million players.

One has 2.6 million players.

One has begun building a soccer talent pool.

One relies on the provinces and cities to 'figure it out'.

One will eventually be one of the top teams globally.

One will remain 3rd tier unless changes are made.

A small population doesn't seem to slow the Czechs down any.

peck420 @ Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:13 am

A small population can be overcome by extensive training (building talent pool) and coordination.

Canada fails (on a national level) in both.

Lemmy @ Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:35 am

rickc rickc:
The U.S. and Canada are years behind the rest of the world when it comes to mens soccer.

I would suggest that the USA and Canada are years AHEAD of the rest of the world when it comes to men's soccer. If anything, we should pay less attention.

bootlegga @ Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:15 am

I think soccer's lack of popularity is directly related to the game itself.

Most North Americans want to see a monster slam dunk, a bone-crushing hit by a linebacker, a 400 foot home run, or a breakaway goal, not 22 guys jogging/standing around until the ball shows up in their little part of the soccer field. Soccer might have occasional bursts of speed and power, but for the most part, it's a sport that is dominated by playing a waiting game and hoping your opponent makes a tactical error you can exploit.

IMHO, that's the biggest reason why baseball, football, basketball and even hockey are far more popular than soccer in Canada and the US.

As well, it's hard to get behind the sport's premier event (World Cup), when it has qualifies more European teams than North American, Asian and African teams combined. Perhaps if North/Central America were allowed to qualify more than four teams, they might have a bigger fan base here. That fact alone is a huge turn off for me personally every four years. I understand that is where a lot of the talent plays (as well as the advertising revenue comes from), but as a Canadian, I refuse to cheer for any team other than one from Canada, so the tournament holds zero interest for me.

bootlegga @ Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:16 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
rickc rickc:

I would suggest that the USA and Canada are years AHEAD of the rest of the world when it comes to men's soccer. If anything, we should pay less attention.

:lol: