Canada Kicks Ass
Canadians don't want NFL here if it causes the CFL to fold

bootlegga @ Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Survey finds Canadians don't want NFL here if it means demise of CFL

$1:
TORONTO - An overwhelming majority of Canadians don't want an NFL team in Canada, especially if it means the demise of the CFL, a survey suggests.

Forty per cent of 1,007 on-line participants said they didn't want an NFL team in Canada at all while another 41 per cent added they'd welcome an NFL franchise in this country only if it co-existed with the CFL. The survey, released Sunday, was conducted in mid-November by Reginald Bibby, a professor of sociology at the University of Lethbridge, and pollster Angus Reid Global.

"They'd have to co-exist, that's the simple bottom line," Bibby said in a telephone interview. "Compared to 1995, if anything, that viewpoint seems to have solidified. "People are feeling stronger about it."

According to the survey, since '95 Canadians have become more insistent that they'd only want the NFL here if the CFL continued to exist (41 per cent versus 32 per cent). Also, more care about the issue now than 18 years ago (50 per cent compared to 33 per cent).

And in Bibby's mind, Vancouver is a good example of where that shift seems to have happened.

"I sat there one night watching a game in about 1997 and there were 12,800 people there," he said. "You go out there now and you feel like the whole thing has come alive.

"It just wouldn't surprise me that now in B.C., for example, they're feeling a lot stronger about the fact that they want to see the CFL survive and don't want to see it disappear at all."

Atlantic Canada is the only region of the country without a CFL team. However, the survey says only three per cent would welcome an NFL franchise north of the border if it meant the death of the CFL.

The margin of error in the survey is plus or minus three per cent.

Only 19 per cent of participants would be happy to see the NFL come to Canada even if it meant the demise of the CFL.

"We don't have many things that are Canadian when you think about it," Bibby said. "The CFL, for better or worse, seems to be one of them."

On Sunday, the Buffalo Bills host the Atlanta Falcons at Rogers Centre a week after the Saskatchewan Roughriders defeated the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 45-23 in the Grey Cup at Mosaic Stadium.

Toronto has long been mentioned as a potential landing spot for an NFL club, but the survey says only 15 per cent of Torontonians would want a franchise here at the expense of the CFL. Eighteen per cent would be happy to see the NFL in Canada only if the CFL continued to operate with only seven per cent not wanting the NFL on Canadian soil at all.

A larger percentage than in the rest of Canada, some 60 per cent, say they don't care much either way.

The survey states 21 per cent of Canadians are following the NFL compared to 26 per cent for the CFL. Fourteen per cent of each fan base follows both leagues.

However, the results show a large number of Canadians have a protective view of the CFL and relatively few want the NFL to come north, especially if its arrival means the demise of the CFL.

"People aren't troubled about the NFL coming but there's a big asterisk that they have to be assured the CFL is going to continue to live," Bibby said. "To come in and just be triumphant about the fact that 'We're going to bring the NFL to Canada, three cheers you should all be excited,' isn't going to go over with Canadians.

"In fact, that could result in a significant backlash. I just think people would have to come in and really be respectful of the importance of the CFL to Canada as a whole and make sure that they take steps to ensure the viability of the CFL."
There's also been persistent talk of the NFL eventually expanding into London. If that happened, Bibby said league officials would be advised to similarly respect the importance of soccer to the British sports culture.

"The NFL would have to show the same grace if it moved to a place like London . . . and figure out a way to co-exist (with British soccer)," he said.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/survey- ... --nfl.html

[cheer]

QBC @ Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:14 pm

Thank god for that. NFL, stay south of the border. I like the CFL way better than the NFL. I haven't watched an NFL game in 20 years or more and don't ever plan of burning my eyes with that ever again.

Jonny_C @ Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:18 pm

The only place ever likely to have an NFL team is Toronto. And Toronto is big enough to support both NFL and CFL.

It's up the the CFL to preserve itself. It hasn't got much to do with whether the NFL is around or not.

Nothing against the CFL but I watch very little CFL action. For me the NFL is where it's at.

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:53 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Survey finds Canadians don't want NFL here if it means demise of CFL

$1:
TORONTO - An overwhelming majority of Canadians don't want an NFL team in Canada, especially if it means the demise of the CFL, a survey suggests.

Forty per cent of 1,007 on-line participants said they didn't want an NFL team in Canada at all while another 41 per cent added they'd welcome an NFL franchise in this country only if it co-existed with the CFL. The survey, released Sunday, was conducted in mid-November by Reginald Bibby, a professor of sociology at the University of Lethbridge, and pollster Angus Reid Global.

"They'd have to co-exist, that's the simple bottom line," Bibby said in a telephone interview. "Compared to 1995, if anything, that viewpoint seems to have solidified. "People are feeling stronger about it."

According to the survey, since '95 Canadians have become more insistent that they'd only want the NFL here if the CFL continued to exist (41 per cent versus 32 per cent). Also, more care about the issue now than 18 years ago (50 per cent compared to 33 per cent).

And in Bibby's mind, Vancouver is a good example of where that shift seems to have happened.

"I sat there one night watching a game in about 1997 and there were 12,800 people there," he said. "You go out there now and you feel like the whole thing has come alive.

"It just wouldn't surprise me that now in B.C., for example, they're feeling a lot stronger about the fact that they want to see the CFL survive and don't want to see it disappear at all."

Atlantic Canada is the only region of the country without a CFL team. However, the survey says only three per cent would welcome an NFL franchise north of the border if it meant the death of the CFL.

The margin of error in the survey is plus or minus three per cent.

Only 19 per cent of participants would be happy to see the NFL come to Canada even if it meant the demise of the CFL.

"We don't have many things that are Canadian when you think about it," Bibby said. "The CFL, for better or worse, seems to be one of them."

On Sunday, the Buffalo Bills host the Atlanta Falcons at Rogers Centre a week after the Saskatchewan Roughriders defeated the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 45-23 in the Grey Cup at Mosaic Stadium.

Toronto has long been mentioned as a potential landing spot for an NFL club, but the survey says only 15 per cent of Torontonians would want a franchise here at the expense of the CFL. Eighteen per cent would be happy to see the NFL in Canada only if the CFL continued to operate with only seven per cent not wanting the NFL on Canadian soil at all.

A larger percentage than in the rest of Canada, some 60 per cent, say they don't care much either way.

The survey states 21 per cent of Canadians are following the NFL compared to 26 per cent for the CFL. Fourteen per cent of each fan base follows both leagues.

However, the results show a large number of Canadians have a protective view of the CFL and relatively few want the NFL to come north, especially if its arrival means the demise of the CFL.

"People aren't troubled about the NFL coming but there's a big asterisk that they have to be assured the CFL is going to continue to live," Bibby said. "To come in and just be triumphant about the fact that 'We're going to bring the NFL to Canada, three cheers you should all be excited,' isn't going to go over with Canadians.

"In fact, that could result in a significant backlash. I just think people would have to come in and really be respectful of the importance of the CFL to Canada as a whole and make sure that they take steps to ensure the viability of the CFL."
There's also been persistent talk of the NFL eventually expanding into London. If that happened, Bibby said league officials would be advised to similarly respect the importance of soccer to the British sports culture.

"The NFL would have to show the same grace if it moved to a place like London . . . and figure out a way to co-exist (with British soccer)," he said.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/survey- ... --nfl.html

[cheer]

R=UP

commanderkai @ Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:23 am

The question shouldn't be asked to all Canadians. It should be asked to Toronto residents, as that's the only likely place for an NFL team to actually move to in the near future.

BeaverFever @ Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Sad fact is Torontonians Wouls sell the Argos for scrap if they could, just for the privilege of being fairweather fans of a "big league" NFL team....likely another one that always loses

Jonny_C @ Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Fairweather fans? Just look at how Torontonians have stuck with the Leafs. You can't get any more all-weather than that!

BeaverFever @ Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Leafs and Leafs only. Jays and Craptors not so much. ESPN rated TO worst sports city in NA in large part due to fan indifference.

Mowich @ Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:18 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Sad fact is Torontonians Wouls sell the Argos for scrap if they could, just for the privilege of being fairweather fans of a "big league" NFL team....likely another one that always loses

How true this is - watched every single CFL game this season and it was always sad to see the few True Blue fans that turned up for the home team in TO. Really hope that turns around for the team next year - the Argos deserve better. Kudos to those Blue fans who did turn up for the games.

As for the NFL, I too would not see the CFL fold in order to import an American game. Nothing against the NFL, I watch from time to time once our season is over but we are talking apples and oranges - two very different styles of football. The CFL rocks for me and always will, can hardly wait to watch the new Ottawa team next year.

Mowich @ Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
Fairweather fans? Just look at how Torontonians have stuck with the Leafs. You can't get any more all-weather than that!

We are talking FOOTBALL, not hockey and TO does have fairweather fans as was clearly evidenced by the pathetic turn out for the Argo games at home this year. At one game they could only muster something like 8,000+ fans.

Mowich @ Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:24 pm

QBC QBC:
Thank god for that. NFL, stay south of the border. I like the CFL way better than the NFL. I haven't watched an NFL game in 20 years or more and don't ever plan of burning my eyes with that ever again.

I too enjoy the CFL much more than the NFL, QBC but comparing the two is just not right considering that they are played very differently on either side of the border.

Mowich @ Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:26 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:
The question shouldn't be asked to all Canadians. It should be asked to Toronto residents, as that's the only likely place for an NFL team to actually move to in the near future.

Excuse me but the CFL has teams in all but the Maritime provinces and hopefully they too will someday field a team. Thus the future of the CFL is something very important to every Canadian football fan.

Jonny_C @ Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:49 pm

Mowich Mowich:
We are talking FOOTBALL, not hockey and TO does have fairweather fans as was clearly evidenced by the pathetic turn out for the Argo games at home this year. At one game they could only muster something like 8,000+ fans.

I think that's more symptomatic of CFL football just not being as popular as it used to be, than it is a result of the competitiveness of the team.