Canada Kicks Ass
Elvis Dumervil fires agent after contract fax debacle

bootlegga @ Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 am

Elvis Dumervil fires agent after contract fax debacle, wants to stay in Denver

$1:
Well, this doesn't come as much of a surprise. After a Friday contract snafu that cost veteran defensive end Elvis Dumervil his place on the Denver Broncos roster and $8 million in guaranteed money, agent Marty Magid has been fired by Dumervil. Magid told USA Today about the termination on Saturday.

"It's terrible, but he said he knows what happened and why it happened," said Magid, who received hundreds of emails from angry Broncos fans. "I know the people in Denver think I should be fired, but like I said [Friday], there were a lot of reasons for why it happened."

Magid was in charge of a contract negotiation that was supposed to keep Dumervil on the Broncos as Dumervil agreed to cut his 2013 base salary from $12 million to $8 million. However, due to certain final aspects of the negotiations, and the fact that Dumervil was left searching for a Kinko's in Miami to fax the signed re-structure back to the team, Dumervil missed the 4 p.m. ET deadline on Friday, and the Broncos had to release him. If they had not done so, the original contract would have superseded the agreement, leaving the Broncos on the hook for all of Dumervil's $12 million base -- and a 2013 salary cap hit of $13.6 million.

Magid said that he will waive the normal five-day waiting process by which NFL clients can move from agency to agency, leaving Dumervil's new representation to negotiate with the Broncos and any other teams interested in Dumervil's services.

"I had teams lined up that were interested in him," Magid said of his now former client. "They'll have to contact his new guy now."

Dumervil is said to have interest from the Baltimore Ravens, Tennessee Titans, and New England Patriots. He had signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract extension in 2010. Magid was not the agent who negotiated that contract; Dumervil chose him after his former agent, Gary Wichard, passed away.

On Saturday night, NFL.com's Albert Breer reported that Dumervil will now be represented by Tom Condon and Ben Dogra of CAA, perhaps the most powerful agency in sports. Condon also represents Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, and this could be a good step in getting Dumervil back on the Broncos' roster.

One source close to the situation told USA Today's Mike Garafalo on Saturday that the change in agents was a move to patch things up with the Broncos, and that Dumervil would prefer to stay in Denver.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh ... --nfl.html

What kind of agent doesn't own a fax machine?

Jonny_C @ Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Well it sure sounds like a good reason to fire his agent!

There have been some interesting free agent moves:

Steven Jackson to the Falcons
Wes Welker and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to the Broncos
Reggie Bush to the Lions
Greg Jennings to the Vikings
Danny Amendola to the Patriots

Freakinoldguy @ Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:43 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
Well it sure sounds like a good reason to fire his agent!

There have been some interesting free agent moves:

Steven Jackson to the Falcons
Wes Welker and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to the Broncos
Reggie Bush to the Lions
Greg Jennings to the Vikings
Danny Amendola to the Patriots

Looks like the Bronco's are loading up for a Superbowl run which makes me think maybe Mr. Manning isn't as healthy as he portrays and may only have one more shot before retirement.

I watched Pardon the Interuption today and they were saying Kraft was pissed that Welker chose the Bronco's over the Patriots who were willing to pay more. Apparently Mr Brady chimed in on losing Welker and Mr. Kraft then informed the world and anyone else who'd listen that the QB worked for him not the other way around. :D

As a Raiders fan it's nice to see the Patriots self desttructing. [B-o]

Jonny_C @ Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Looks like the Bronco's are loading up for a Superbowl run which makes me think maybe Mr. Manning isn't as healthy as he portrays and may only have one more shot before retirement.

I watched Pardon the Interuption today and they were saying Kraft was pissed that Welker chose the Bronco's over the Patriots who were willing to pay more. Apparently Mr Brady chimed in on losing Welker and Mr. Kraft then informed the world and anyone else who'd listen that the QB worked for him not the other way around. :D

As a Raiders fan it's nice to see the Patriots self desttructing. [B-o]

Demaryius Thomas and Wes Welker could make a really nice 1-2 combination for Manning to pass to. Welker's a strong addition.

I wonder if Welker was feeling that his future role as a Patriot would be diminished. He's certainly going to a team with a QB who can feed him as well as Brady did. I had Welker on my team for Fantasy Football in the 2011 season. He got me a TON of points.

I kind of like the Raiders as a dark horse team but they've got lots of problems to overcome. And it looks like they lost a couple of key players in free agency.

The Falcons getting Steven Jackson could be major. They've already got a top-notch passing game and Jackson bodes well to give them a lot of added punch on the ground. The Falcons just got a lot more dangerous, I think.

Freakinoldguy @ Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:18 pm

My dark horse is the Seahawks especially since they signed Percy Harvin with the only downside being no first round draft pick and their first pick being 56th.

Some people are calling the NFC west the best division in football and with the Rams signing Jake Long and the 49'ers trying to get Derrell Revis they may be right but I still think the Bronco's will be the team to beat if they can keep their defence going. Offence for them will be no problem.

As for the Raiders, they were left to rot to long and now it's gonna be at least a 5 year re-building program before they even make the playoffs. Much as I loved Al, I'm pretty sure he lost the bubble in the last 10 years of his life and cost his team dearly with idiotic moves like using a first round pick on that overweight underachieving, "Purple Drank," twit Jamarcus Russell. :roll:

Oh well as long as the Patriots, Bronco's, Chiefs or Chargers don't win I won't be to dissapointed. :D