Canada Kicks Ass
Hockey Coach Goes Viral: 'Get the F out, Commies'

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  Next

raydan @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:07 am

Flags are like crosses, symbols... and the only value they have is the one you give it. You can throw it on the ground, burn it or throw it in the garbage and it won't bother me... shouldn't really bother anybody. I'd never burn one but you never know... would it bother anybody if Venezuelans today started burning their flag in protest?

If my flag is so beat up it's time to change it, I won't have a ceremony and fold it a certain way while playing the trumpet, I'll just throw it away and change it. :wink:

stratos @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:28 am

$1:
If my flag is so beat up it's time to change it, I won't have a ceremony and fold it a certain way while playing the trumpet, I'll just throw it away and change it.

And personally I wouldn't have a problem with you or anyone else who did the same thing.

BartSimpson @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:58 am

raydan raydan:
stratos stratos:
Tricks there is a difference between a Flag and an image of a Flag.

Pretty sure that if you looked at most of the flags out there today, you'll find a little tag that says, "Made in China". :(

None of my flags are made in China. Even my Maple Leaf flag (which flies every July 1st) was made in the USA.

Tricks @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:38 am

stratos stratos:
$1:
It's just an ironic dichotomy among the people who freak out over this sort of thing

For me it's more along the line of a build up of things some of the players have done. Each one making things worse. For me, if all that political BS hadn't happened during the approach to the final game. I would be far less critical. Yet because of the words and actions of some players I take a more cynical look at this.

So was it because they were critical of Trump? Or critical of the Office of the President? I get you can be annoyed with people who have no presence in politics being political.

I see a lot of bitching about celebrities and athletes getting political when it involves Trump, but I didn't see any bitching from those same people when it was about Obama. If you reserve that annoyance only when it doesn't agree with you, you're a hypocrite.

Personally, I just don't care. I don't know why we'd listen to them and either way it doesn't change anything about what I think. I'll still listen to Ted Nugent and to Eminem. I'll still watch Clint Eastwood movies and DiCaprio movies.

Tricks @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:51 am

And I should add, that people who were annoyed with Eastwood doing it, and are defending this are equally hypocritical.

DrCaleb @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:12 am

Tricks Tricks:
I get you can be annoyed with people who have no presence in politics being political.

Point of order: Politics involves everybody, it is the involvement of society towards its own well being. It affects everyone, not just those who choose it as an occupation. People who have no presence in politics are probably deceased. ;)

Tricks @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:15 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Tricks Tricks:
I get you can be annoyed with people who have no presence in politics being political.

Point of order: Politics involves everybody, it is the involvement of society towards its own well being. It affects everyone, not just those who choose it as an occupation. People who have no presence in politics are probably deceased. ;)

Valid point.

People's who's opinion shouldn't matter to the masses in politics getting involved would maybe be a better statement. If people want to get involved in a productive way, do what David Gilmour did. He literally put his money where his mouth is.

stratos @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:44 am

$1:
So was it because they were critical of Trump? Or critical of the Office of the President? I get you can be annoyed with people who have no presence in politics being political.

More along the lines of You are supposed to be representing the USA not just a group or segment of the country. Keep it out of the event. You can mouth off as much as you want when NOT representing the Country. So for instance the comments during the parade about "....Lock your doors hide your wives" what ever was said. I just roll my eyes, not reacting like OMG they need to be tared and feathered.

$1:
I see a lot of bitching about celebrities and athletes getting political when it involves Trump, but I didn't see any bitching from those same people when it was about Obama. If you reserve that annoyance only when it doesn't agree with you, you're a hypocrite.

I really don't care, once again, as long as they are not representing the USA in some form or fashion. Half the time I don't even read or hear about it. Basically I ignore that junk. What many are trying to do is influence their audience in some way, form or fashion into doing what they say and think on a matter. Why can't they let their audience THINK for themselves.

$1:
Personally, I just don't care. I don't know why we'd listen to them and either way it doesn't change anything about what I think. I'll still listen to Ted Nugent and to Eminem. I'll still watch Clint Eastwood movies and DiCaprio movies.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I kind of want to be oblivious to celebrities view points. I got one friend who is an avid movie celebrity follower. Know's how many times so and so has been married and so forth. I'm just well hell I like the movie I don't care who they screwed ( as long as it was mutual), I don't care if they are Christian, Muslim, Scientologist, as long as they are not trying to throw it in my face. Some movies are based on religion no issue on that. Celebrity on TV show or News or what ever saying "oh you should be this or think like this, I demand you listen to my view points" Click to the next channel is what I do.

Tricks @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:58 am

stratos stratos:
More along the lines of You are supposed to be representing the USA not just a group or segment of the country. Keep it out of the event. You can mouth off as much as you want when NOT representing the Country.
Can you ask the same of your politicans? :lol: They don't exactly represent you well either.

So you expect them to toe the party line of whoever is in power? If your country is actively engaging in something that they find morally reprehensible, should they be quiet about it when on the world stage? Example, if a Saudi athlete at the Olympics took a shit on their government for their treatment of women and gay people, should they shut up about it?

$1:
So for instance the comments during the parade about "....Lock your doors hide your wives" what ever was said. I just roll my eyes, not reacting like OMG they need to be tared and feathered.
It's a bad attempt at a meme.

$1:
What many are trying to do is influence their audience in some way, form or fashion into doing what they say and think on a matter. Why can't they let their audience THINK for themselves.
If you have facebook, go take a scroll. I'd say about 90% of the people you know are virtually incapable of thinking for themselves. Just as 90% of the people I know are.

stratos @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:41 pm

$1:
They don't exactly represent you well either.

But unfortunately they as politicians are representative of the USA and or State ect... depending on their position. We actually do have a way of shutting them up. We vote them out of office. We can't do the same for celebrities.

$1:
So you expect them to toe the party line of whoever is in power? If your country is actively engaging in something that they find morally reprehensible, should they be quiet about it when on the world stage?

IN the case of the Woman's team. They were there to play soccer NOT go around bashing politicians, other countries (Tea Cup thing) and what not. We as a nation did not send them there to give political views or insult their nation or other nations.

$1:
Example, if a Saudi athlete at the Olympics took a shit on their government for their treatment of women and gay people, should they shut up about it?

In truth yes. I'm not watching a sporting event to get someone's views on any matter outside of the sporting event. If I can give a semi bad example. President Reagan was at an NFL game and got invited into the announcers booth. They didn't talk politics they talked football. Then it turned out John Lennon was also at the stadium and he was also let into the booth. Reagan and John Lennon at an NFL game in the announcers booth. OMG Political fireworks right? NO Reagan sat there and explained football terms and what was going on to John when he asked questions about the game. To me that was GOLD. To political opposite people not talking politics but talking Football while at a Football game on Live National TV.

I hope that help points out my thinking and feelings on this.

$1:
It's a bad attempt at a meme.

Me I was (roll eyes) what ever and moved on. :)

$1:
If you have facebook, go take a scroll. I'd say about 90% of the people you know are virtually incapable of thinking for themselves. Just as 90% of the people I know are.

Agreed I don't use it as much as I used to. I go on message some people I know. Talk with old friends from way back when (High School) and that's about it.

stratos @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Okay let's take this to a point I hope some of you in Canada can relate to. A couple of winter Olympic's ago the USA Woman's Hockey team on their way out to Play Canada had the Canadian Flag laying on the floor and each of them made sure to walk, stump, what ever adjective you want to use, over the Canadian Flag. The Canadian Team learned of this and decimated the woman's team (IMO). I was like oh crap no the USA didn't do that GRRRRRR. Now the Canadian woman's team took it as an affront to them and their nation. Rightfully so. Now did you and or would you be offended as a Canadian when that happened and or if it happened again?

Don't disrespect another nation or your on nation at sporting events. I'm sure people will go but what about this and what about that. Don't go there we are talking SPORTING events.

When Canada does good in some sort of sporting event do you not swell up a bit with pride? Now take into account that your team just acted like entailed brats during the event and disrespected your nation or talked bad about your nation during the event. Are you still proud of them do you feel they represented you and Canada in a good way?

Tricks @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:08 pm

stratos stratos:
In truth yes.

I disagree. If someone finds the actions of someone egregious enough, wouldn't it be irresponsible to not use that to bring more eyes to it? If athletes at the Berlin games in 1936 denounced Hitler, or made clear what was happening in the country, could things have been different?

Note I'm not drawing a parallel between Trump and Hitler. Extreme example to demonstrate a point.

Tricks @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:11 pm

stratos stratos:
When Canada does good in some sort of sporting event do you not swell up a bit with pride? Now take into account that your team just acted like entailed brats during the event and disrespected your nation or talked bad about your nation during the event. Are you still proud of them do you feel they represented you and Canada in a good way?

What did they say about the U.S.? Not Trump or the government, but the USA. (I can't find specific comments anywhere)

BRAH @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:19 pm

R=UP

Strutz @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:40 pm

stratos stratos:
Okay let's take this to a point I hope some of you in Canada can relate to. A couple of winter Olympic's ago the USA Woman's Hockey team on their way out to Play Canada had the Canadian Flag laying on the floor and each of them made sure to walk, stump, what ever adjective you want to use, over the Canadian Flag. The Canadian Team learned of this and decimated the woman's team (IMO). I was like oh crap no the USA didn't do that GRRRRRR. Now the Canadian woman's team took it as an affront to them and their nation. Rightfully so. Now did you and or would you be offended as a Canadian when that happened and or if it happened again?

I remember that but can't recall which year it was, not that it matters. I may have been peeved about it at the time but I generally dismiss that sort of behavior (because people can be awful like it or not) and wait for karma to look after it. :wink:

Is it offensive? Yes, but I'm not going to let it bother me that much.

$1:
Don't disrespect another nation or your on nation at sporting events. I'm sure people will go but what about this and what about that. Don't go there we are talking SPORTING events.

Sporting events = entertainment IMO. Yes, on a different level than other forms of entertainment but still. Disrespect when it comes to these events is unnecessary. I like to think of things like international sporting events as a means of bringing people together to compete and enjoy something they share rather than focus on the things that set them apart.

$1:

Hearing 'Oh Canada' following a victory makes me sing with pride! That feeling would take a beating though if the athletes acted in a negative way and made me feel embarrassed that they were/are a representative of my nation.

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  Next