Canada Kicks Ass
Joe Paterno, 1926-2012

1  2  Next

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:43 am

$1:
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Joe Paterno, who racked up more wins than anyone else in major college football but was fired from Penn State amid a child sex abuse scandal has died. He was 85.

His family released a statement Sunday morning to announce his death.

Paterno's son Scott announced Nov. 18 that his father was being treated for lung cancer, which was diagnosed in mid-November during a follow-up visit for a bronchial illness.

The storied career of "JoePa" included 409 wins in 46 seasons and two national championships.

But his reputation for success with honour was shattered when a former assistant was charged with molesting 10 boys during a 15-year span, including some in the Penn State athletic complex.

Critics said Paterno should have done more to stop it. He was fired Nov. 9.

In all, Paterno guided five teams to unbeaten, untied seasons.

http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=385781

R.I.P.

-J.

OnTheIce @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:47 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
$1:
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Joe Paterno, who racked up more wins than anyone else in major college football but was fired from Penn State amid a child sex abuse scandal has died. He was 85.

Paterno's son Scott announced Nov. 18 that his father was being treated for lung cancer, which was diagnosed in mid-November during a follow-up visit for a bronchial illness.

The storied career of "JoePa" included 409 wins in 46 seasons and two national championships.

But his reputation for success with honour was shattered when a former assistant was charged with molesting 10 boys during a 15-year span, including some in the Penn State athletic complex.

R.I.P.

-J.

RIP?

Good riddance, more like it.

We don't need pieces of shit that harbor child molesters.

andyt @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:54 am

RIP? If I believed in it I'd say RIH.

raydan @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:21 pm

andyt andyt:
RIP? If I believed in it I'd say RIH.

That would be SIH.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:01 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
$1:

R.I.P.

-J.

RIP?

Good riddance, more like it.

We don't need pieces of shit that harbor child molesters.

Being the hardcore football fan that I am, I am remembering the man for being the greatest college football coach in NCAA history. Did the guy make a mistake or two? Sure he did. He's a imperfect being on an imperfect world. Could he have done more? Yes, and he probably should have.

Instead of crucifying this man for a mistake, I choose to forgive him. Harbouring ill will after the man's death won't change what happened with Sandusky, nor will it accomplish anything. Sandusky on the other hand, deserves nothing less than whatever he ends up getting for what he did to those innocent children. Put him in a prison for life and let the other inmates deal with him.

JoePa was all about football, nothing more, nothing less.

-J.

andyt @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Ooops, I forgot to tell the cops that somebody I was in charge of was buttfucking little boys. But because I was good at teaching people how to play with a ball, that makes up for it.

Sandusky

$1:
was one of the most notable major college football coaches never to have held a head coaching position
let's forgive him too. He was about so much more than just buttfucking little boys - he helped bigger boys play better with a ball.

OnTheIce @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:12 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:

Being the hardcore football fan that I am, I am remembering the man for being the greatest college football coach in NCAA history. Did the guy make a mistake or two? Sure he did. He's a imperfect being on an imperfect world. Could he have done more? Yes, and he probably should have.

Instead of crucifying this man for a mistake, I choose to forgive him. Harbouring ill will after the man's death won't change what happened with Sandusky, nor will it accomplish anything. Sandusky on the other hand, deserves nothing less than whatever he ends up getting for what he did to those innocent children. Put him in a prison for life and let the other inmates deal with him.

-J.

Being a fan of sports shouldn't mean you turn a blind eye to a man that did nothing when he found out kids were being molested.

Ruining lives isn't a mistake. He made a choice to protect his friend. Not doing what your morally obligated to do to help children at risk isn't a mistake.

JoePa was a piece of shit and the World is better off without him.

Thanos @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:47 pm

Paterno is probably one of the biggest examples of how an entire lifetime of good deeds can be totally wiped out by one horrible decision. Paterno worked hard at keeping his players on a straight path by not letting them abuse their privileges as athletes and by making sure that they took their education seriously. Why someone who was so diligent at that aspect of his job and who credibly could claim that he put character ahead of winning games wilfully turned a blind eye to what Sandusky was doing is almost impossible to understand.

raydan @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Paterno is probably one of the biggest examples of how an entire lifetime of good deeds can be totally wiped out by one horrible decision. Paterno worked hard at keeping his players on a straight path by not letting them abuse their privileges as athletes and by making sure that they took their education seriously. Why someone who was so diligent at that aspect of his job and who credibly could claim that he put character ahead of winning games wilfully turned a blind eye to what Sandusky was doing is almost impossible to understand.

Trying to protect a friend, a good coach, the program, the team, the school and himself... who knows. Maybe he did do more and the it's the school that didn't act... who knows. I don't believe we know the whole story yet. I'm not giving him absolution yet though, I'll wait until we get all the facts.

Gunnair @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:30 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:

-J.

Being a fan of sports shouldn't mean you turn a blind eye to a man that did nothing when he found out kids were being molested.

Ruining lives isn't a mistake. He made a choice to protect his friend. Not doing what your morally obligated to do to help children at risk isn't a mistake.

JoePa was a piece of shit and the World is better off without him.

+1 worth a rep point if they were on.

Funny how society lionizes their royalty even to the point of ignoring some of the horrible things they do.

raydan @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
+1 worth a rep point if they were on.

Funny how society lionizes their royalty even to the point of ignoring some of the horrible things they do.

You thinking Michael Jackson... or CĂ©line Dion? :wink:

andyt @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:00 pm

What did Celine Dion do that was so horrible except sing?

raydan @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:01 pm

You answered your own question.

andyt @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:07 pm

Silly to bring her into this. MJ, yeah makes sense. Celine doesn't rise to the level of child abuse.

Brenda @ Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:16 pm

andyt andyt:
Silly to bring her into this. MJ, yeah makes sense. Celine doesn't rise to the level of child abuse.

Celine Dion shouldn't sing. It's horrible.

(yer slow today, Andy, what's up? :P)

1  2  Next