Canada Kicks Ass
Lacrosse, Canada's National Sport! 2010

1  2  3  Next

QBC @ Fri May 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Spring has come and so has Lacrosse season for another year. Amateur players, young and old, across this country are gearing up for another season of Canada's national game! From April, when training camps start, through to the first part of July, we continue the tradition of one of the oldest stick and ball games still played today. To those of you who are involved, play, coach or just love to watch the fastest game on two feet, Have a Great Year!

I for one am coaching the Grande Prairie Junior Thrashers of the RMLL. Our season opener is tomorrow and we play again Sunday morning in Ft McMurray against the Wolves. Should be a fun trip and it will be nice to see where our boys stack up against another team, since I've yet to see them play outside of practice. Wish us luck!

PimpBrewski123 @ Fri May 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Have a great season and some fun. :)

fifeboy @ Fri May 07, 2010 6:35 pm

I never played Lacrosse, but it is one of the coolest sports to watch. APTN and some of the sports channels have it on. Womans lacrosse is very interesting too.

QBC @ Fri May 07, 2010 8:02 pm

I played for a lot of years. From the time I was 7 I started box lacrosse and played that until my early 20's. At 17 I tried out for a senior A men's field lacrosse team in Vancouver and played for them until I moved to Williams Lake several years later.

Lacrosse is an amazing sport. (the best sport in my opinion) I'd still be playing today if I was able, but I'm not so a coach I am.... :wink:

This should be a great year, our team has some very talented young men that all seem to be hungry to compete. Not afraid to hit or take hits, fight in the corners and a couple guys that have wicked shots. (I'm sure they would be clocked over 100 mph)

fifeboy @ Fri May 07, 2010 8:14 pm

QBC QBC:
I played for a lot of years. From the time I was 7 I started box lacrosse and played that until my early 20's. At 17 I tried out for a senior A men's field lacrosse team in Vancouver and played for them until I moved to Williams Lake several years later.

Lacrosse is an amazing sport. (the best sport in my opinion) I'd still be playing today if I was able, but I'm not so a coach I am.... :wink:

This should be a great year, our team has some very talented young men that all seem to be hungry to compete. Not afraid to hit or take hits, fight in the corners and a couple guys that have wicked shots. (I'm sure they would be clocked over 100 mph)
Good show, keep it up.

QBC @ Sun May 09, 2010 10:04 pm

I just got home from a grueling 16 hours round trip driving up to Ft Mac for our opening weekend.

That last 2-3 hours up there has to be the most boring and shitty stretch of highway I've ever been on.... :roll: .....Miles of swamp and more swamp!!!

But, other then that, it was a pretty good weekend for us. In game one we clearly had the first game of the season jitters as got into serious penalty trouble early and it continued into the second period. Going into the third we were down a whopping 12-3... 8O But in the third, the boys settled down, listened to their coaches!!!! and we finished the game very strong making the score a 14-7 final.

Game two this morning.....The boys were calm and focused and we started off were we finished the night before. We were up 5-0 after the first, continued playing well into the second as we were up 12-5. The third was a penalty filled period again and one of our boys had to go to hospital to get checked out after taking a cross check to the throat. We spent the last 8 minutes of the period short handed but still managed a respectable period with the final score 16-10.

Not a bad start to the season, now this week at practice, we fine tune a few problems and spend some time on specialty teams and we should be good to go come the weekend in Wainwright.

QBC @ Sun May 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Whoa, what a weekend in Wainwright Alberta!!!!

We had yet again, back to back games several hours drive time away from home this weekend.

We took on the Wainwright Wolfpack on Saturday night and again this morning. To say the least, our boys played pretty damn well and had some success. On Saturday we came out and managed to pace our competition to a 24-3 victory... 8O ....Yep, that was the score. Sunday was a lot slower start to the game as we seemed to not have the same jump we normally have to start the game, but we did pick it up in the second and third periods and managed a 22-2 victory this morning...... 8O ....yep, still not a typo.... 8O

If it hadn't been the fact that goal differential matters in the standings at the end of the season, we wouldn't have run those numbers up so high, but then again, taking it easy on an opponent can be a insult worse than wooping them.

To be completely fair to our competition. They do have a lot of inexperienced players that need a little more skill development and they would be competitive.

One thing the Wolfpack had going for it though, was heart. After two games of getting badly out played, they played with 110% effort to the very best of their ability for a full three periods both games. Their work ethic and desire were truly inspiring. Regardless of the score, they earned, EARNED, the respect of both the players and coaching staff of the Grande Prairie Thrashers!!!.... :rock:

QBC @ Sat May 29, 2010 6:31 am

After taking the long weekend off, we're back at it again for our home opener. A rematch double header with the Ft Mac Wolves this weekend. The boys are set and ready to go as we've had a couple weeks of good practice. So many of our players are a wee bit pissed about loosing the season opener to the Wolves, me thinks they're looking for a little redemption this weekend. If they can stay disciplined and focused on the game plan, I think they will do just that. No one is going to come into our barn and pull the BS Ft Mac did at home.... :twisted:

QBC @ Sun May 30, 2010 6:40 am

Game 1 of the double header is in the books. After taking a three goal lead into the third period, the boys lost a little focus and allowed the Wolves back into the game. We solidified our win with just 16 seconds of time left in the third to take a 10-9 victory in our home opener.

We had a great crowd out. The novice/tykes Thrashers (5-6 year old kids) all dressed up in their new Thrasher jerseys, formed a line from our dressing room to the floor and gave high fives to our guys as they went out for the first period. The wide eyed kids giving their mentors encouragement before the game was one of the cutest things I've ever seen... :D .... I could hear those kids, clear across the arena in the third period chanting "Go Thrashers, Go!" It was priceless, the biggest and best memory I'll take away from the day.

QBC @ Sun May 30, 2010 1:08 pm

In what was our best game of the season thus far, we capped off the double header today against Ft Mac with a 12-7 victory.

The boys played solid at both ends of the floor and our veteran starting goalie, in what could have been his last game ever, (Due to work obligations) played a fantastic game only allowing 7 goals on over 50 shots. (There are a lot of shots in Lacrosse, we had over 70 on them) I was so happy he had the game he did today, not just because it's Rosie's nephew... :wink: ...It was great to see him possibly cap of his career with such an effort.

5 Game winning streak now for the Grande Prairie Thrashers!!!!

QBC @ Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:37 pm

A picture from Saturdays game! (We be in white... :wink: )

QBC @ Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Oy...wee tad bit of disappointment in Grande Prairie tonight. After a bit of a brutal 1st period, you just can't go down 6-1 and expect to win the game, we battled back and made for an exciting third period. In the end, we lost to the Kitscoty Drillers by a score of 19-16. A few problems got handled in the second and third periods, so I'm hoping we can get a split and win tomorrows game. I still maintain we have the most talented team in out league, we just have to utilize all our skills.

QBC @ Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Tough weekend for the Thrashers for sure.

After a great first period and a wonderful first half of the second period, we were up 6-1 over the Drillers. We were playing Lacrosse the way it was meant to be played. We were aggressive, both in our defence and on loose balls. We were methodical and had a sense of purpose on offence and our goalie was playing very well. About the mid point of the second, the wheels started to come off. We lost our composure a little bit, our discipline, and no matter what we tried to do as coaches, (Time outs, talking between periods) we couldn't seem to get the team focused again. From that point on, it was a dog fight, one that we ultimately lost 10-9. To sum up the way the latter part of the game went, we took a very selfish and stupid roughing penalty with no reason for it with 2:13 left in the game...the score was 9-9. Cant win games taking stupid penalties.

Oh well, this weekend is behind us, we have Wainwright here for two next weekend and then back to Kitscoty for the final two of the regular season. Time to focus on the job we have at hand and take those last four games.

wildrosegirl @ Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:28 pm

QBC QBC:
Tough weekend for the Thrashers for sure.

After a great first period and a wonderful first half of the second period, we were up 6-1 over the Drillers. We were playing Lacrosse the way it was meant to be played. We were aggressive, both in our defence and on loose balls. We were methodical and had a sense of purpose on offence and our goalie was playing very well. About the mid point of the second, the wheels started to come off. We lost our composure a little bit, our discipline, and no matter what we tried to do as coaches, (Time outs, talking between periods) we couldn't seem to get the team focused again. From that point on, it was a dog fight, one that we ultimately lost 10-9. To sum up the way the latter part of the game went, we took a very selfish and stupid roughing penalty with no reason for it with 2:13 left in the game...the score was 9-9. Cant win games taking stupid penalties.

Oh well, this weekend is behind us, we have Wainwright here for two next weekend and then back to Kitscoty for the final two of the regular season. Time to focus on the job we have at hand and take those last four games.

Yep. The team looked great for the first 30 minutes!

And then.... they turned into.... men.

:lol:

QBC @ Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:44 pm

In a fairly good start to out weekend double header, we cruised to a pretty easy 15-3 victory over the Wainwright Wolf Pack. Although the game did have it's moments.

The second period seemed to last forever. Mind you, it could have had something to do with a 10 man brawl that took 15-20 minutes to stop and sort out all the penalties.... PDT_Armataz_01_05

It was a pretty chippy affair for the most part and again I wasn't pleased with the level of composure and discipline the boys played with. Realistically, we had a great first 20 min, and pretty solid second 20 min, and in my opinion, a pretty shitty third period. Tomorrow is a brand new day....Game two!... PDT_Armataz_01_36

And Rosie was nice enough to take a couple pictures for us.... :D

1  2  3  Next