Canada Kicks Ass
Muhammad Ali close to death: Source

Previous  1  2  3  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:39 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
RIP Mr. Clay.

His ghost says fuck you for calling him by that name.

Meh...you likely hear that from plenty of loving folk asswipe.

BRAH @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:26 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
RIP Mr. Clay.

His ghost says fuck you for calling him by that name.

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
On refusal to serve in Vietnam:

"My conscience won't let me go shoot my brother, or some darker people, or some poor hungry people in the mud for big powerful America. And shoot them for what? They never called me nigger, they never lynched me, they didn't put no dogs on me, they didn't rob me of my nationality, rape and kill my mother and father. ... Shoot them for what? How can I shoot them poor people? Just take me to jail."

Amen. RIP Muhammad Ali

And to jail he went unlike most of the draft dodging zero's who claimed to have the same moral high ground but weren't willing to make the same commitment.

Like Cheney, Bush Jr, Limbaugh, DeLay, and the rest of the right wing chickenhawks???

WTF is wrong with you besides the obvious? Congratulations on Hijacking another thread with your Right Wing Derangement Syndrome.

BRAH @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:28 am

RIP

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:00 am

Just another social justice warrior princess

andyt @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:27 am

I remember how hard Ali had to fight to have his name change accepted, and the scorn he got for it. So calling him Clay is certainly not honoring him. He's been Ali for more than 50 years now, so calling him clay seems retarded. Or showing off.

BRAH @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:03 am

Just another social justice warrior princess

"Hug a SJW today. Actually Fuck that Let's just keep triggering the little shits! It's hilarious!" :lol:

andyt @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:11 am

It's got to burn to want to idolize a man who joined the devil's religion.

Freakinoldguy @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:39 am

andyt andyt:

I don't think anybody is idolizing him. I personally didn't like when he participated in the fixed fight, I didn't like when he became a Muslim, I didn't like him when he refused to fight for his country but, you do have to respect him for having the courage of his convictions and being a fantastic entertainer.

As for his religion. I wonder how he felt about his religion given that he lived long enough to see Al Qaeda, the twin towers, ISIS, Syria, the Philippines, etc etc etc because it doesn't appear to be the same religion he joined in 1975 and may have explained why he embraced Sufism in 2005.

andyt @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:48 pm

Well unfortunately I recall a major Sufi leader also making excuses or even cheering after 911. I was very disappointed. But good for him for giving up on the Nation of Islam, tho it is quite understandable why blacks would gravitate there. And not because of racial hatred.

I don't know anything about fixed fights. As he said, he just beats people up for a living. Not much to admire there either way.

I do respect him for not going to Viet Nam. He lost a lot doing that. I'm sure they would have given him a cushy gig if he did go.

He was a good entertainer who knew a thing or two about self-promotion. I can respect that even if not really admire him for it. Guess you'd have to respect Paris Hilton in the same way.

BRAH @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:05 pm

Muhammad Ali's heart "would not stop beating for 30 minutes" while all his other organs failed, daughter reveals

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/muhammad-alis-heart-would-not-8115542

Ali's family to spar over his $50million fortune: Fourth wife Lonnie will act as executor as his NINE children, exes and brother prepare to enter the ring for a slice of inheritance

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3625241/Ali-s-family-spar-50million-fortune-champ-making-7million-year-thanks-lucrative-endorsements.html

Ali's image in merchandising will be worth more than 50 million.

Freakinoldguy @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:07 pm

andyt andyt:
Well unfortunately I recall a major Sufi leader also making excuses or even cheering after 911. I was very disappointed. But good for him for giving up on the Nation of Islam, tho it is quite understandable why blacks would gravitate there. And not because of racial hatred.

I don't know anything about fixed fights. As he said, he just beats people up for a living. Not much to admire there either way.

I do respect him for not going to Viet Nam. He lost a lot doing that. I'm sure they would have given him a cushy gig if he did go.

He was a good entertainer who knew a thing or two about self-promotion. I can respect that even if not really admire him for it. Guess you'd have to respect Paris Hilton in the same way.

To this day they say the second Clay/Liston fight was fixed. All you have to do is take a look at the knockout blow Clay delivered to see that it didn't hit Liston at all and oddly enough there's a story going around that:

$1:
Two Muslims visited Sonny and threatened to kill him if he didn’t lose the bout. Things were getting worse for the ex-champ, but the worst was yet to come…

But to be fair apparently Ali was also on their hit list.

$1:
Ali was rumored to be an assassination target by Muslims who wanted to avenge the recent death of Ali’s former close friend, Malcolm X. It was widely believed that Malcolm’s murder was carried out by supporters of Nation of Islam leader, Elijah Muhammad.

http://www.boxing.com/phantom_punch_mystery_solved.html

Apparently Ali was involved in Islam long before he came out as a convert.

As for Paris Hilton being an entertainer. Sorry but Ali was an entertainer Paris Hilton was a blight on society.

andyt @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:47 pm

Mostly Ali-Liston seemed to play out what was happening with civil rights in the US, with Liston being the old timey black who did what he was told by the whites, didn't rock the boat, while Ali represented the new black empowerment. In your face, confident and brash. I think he did a lot to contribute to that, without ever going off the deep end into extremes. But even black power was as much about putting on a show as it was about real revolution. As Tom Wolfe put it "Mau Mauing the Flack Catchers." While this led to great strides forward, it really is too bad that it stalled and seems to have left black people behind. But then the whole 60's did the same thing. As Hunter Thompson said, you can almost see the high water mark where the wave broke and receded.

Freakinoldguy @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:16 pm

andyt andyt:
Mostly Ali-Liston seemed to play out what was happening with civil rights in the US, with Liston being the old timey black who did what he was told by the whites, didn't rock the boat, while Ali represented the new black empowerment. In your face, confident and brash. I think he did a lot to contribute to that, without ever going off the deep end into extremes. But even black power was as much about putting on a show as it was about real revolution. As Tom Wolfe put it "Mau Mauing the Flack Catchers." While this led to great strides forward, it really is too bad that it stalled and seems to have left black people behind. But then the whole 60's did the same thing. As Hunter Thompson said, you can almost see the high water mark where the wave broke and receded.

Ali was definitely the in your face new black but, Liston wasn't any uncle Tom. I think the fact he was an ex con who was still associated with the mob had more to do with his demeanour than any "I've been beaten down by whitey" schtick. They guy was hard as nails and had done enough time to know how the world really worked.

But I guess Thompson was right since what we see today doesn't resemble anything near the utopia, we were promised by all those people who were going to change the world.

BeaverFever @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:04 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
andyt andyt:

As for his religion. I wonder how he felt about his religion given that he lived long enough to see Al Qaeda, the twin towers, ISIS, Syria, the Philippines, etc etc etc because it doesn't appear to be the same religion he joined in 1975 and may have explained why he embraced Sufism in 2005.

Well wonder no more!

$1:
“I am a Muslim, and there is nothing Islamic about killing innocent people in Paris, San Bernardino, or anywhere else in the world,” Ali said. “True Muslims know the ruthless violence of so-called Islamic Jihadists goes against the very tenets of our religion.
“We, as Muslims, have to stand up to those who use Islam to advance their own personal agenda. They have alienated many from learning about Islam. True Muslims know or should know that it goes against our religion to try and force Islam on anybody.”

....“Speaking as someone who has never been accused of political correctness,” Ali said, “I believe that our political leaders should use their position to bring understanding about the religion of Islam and clarify that these misguided murderers have perverted people’s views on what Islam really is.”

-Muhammad Ali, December 2015

Here are some other gems:

$1:
I'm a Muslim. I've been a Muslim for 20 years. . . . You know me. I'm a boxer. I've been called the greatest. People recognize me for being a boxer and a man of truth. I wouldn't be here representing Islam if it were terrorist. . . . I think all people should know the truth, come to recognize the truth. Islam is peace.

Also further to the first quote I posted, just cuz it's cool:

$1:
“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go ten thousand miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?

No, I am not going ten thousand miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would put my prestige in jeopardy and could cause me to lose millions of dollars which should accrue to me as the champion.

But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is right here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality…

If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. But I either have to obey the laws of the land or the laws of Allah. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail. We’ve been in jail for four hundred years.”

andyt @ Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:25 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

$1:
“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go ten thousand miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?

No, I am not going ten thousand miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would put my prestige in jeopardy and could cause me to lose millions of dollars which should accrue to me as the champion.

But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is right here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality…

If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. But I either have to obey the laws of the land or the laws of Allah. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail. We’ve been in jail for four hundred years.”

I remember that. Didn't it just put the cat among the pigeons.

Previous  1  2  3  Next