Canada Kicks Ass
Sydney Leroux's antics stoke Canada-U.S. rivalry

1  2  Next

shockedcanadian @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:17 am

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/opinion ... valry.html

"There are now allegations from Sydney Leroux that her gestures to the crowd on Sunday were a response to racial slurs slung at her from the BMO Field seats."

Is this what type of nation we want? She went to America for opportunity she wouldn't get in Canada, who can blame her?

Funny how many Canadians use racism to show their displeasure...wait, that doesn't exist in Canada right?

xerxes @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:49 am

Unless being called a "judas" is a racial slur now, she's full of it.

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:01 am

exactly.....bs claim of racism

DanSC @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:35 am

This incident is laughably irrelevant. Come to a USA-Mexico game and listen to the crowd reaction when Omar Gonzolez does anything.

raydan @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:46 am

Athletes inciting crowds... this is news? :?

Zipperfish @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:37 am

DanSC DanSC:
This incident is laughably irrelevant. Come to a USA-Mexico game and listen to the crowd reaction when Omar Gonzolez does anything.

Exactly. The Canadian coach handled this with class. This Leroux player obviously doesn't have much, but that's her problem, not mine or Canada's. Syney Leroux is no Sydney Crosby.

Let's face it, we're going to be in tough against the US for soccer--they've got 10 prospects to pick from for every one we have, just by dint of sheer population. We keep up in hockey just because it's a national obsession to be best at hockey, but any win against the US in men's or women's soccer is basically a statistical anomaly.

DanSC @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:44 am

Not to mention the USA has Title IX, meaning every other nation is a few generations away, at best, to matching the American women in international athletic competition.

Also, I'm re-reading the article, and it sounds like Ms. Leroux's crime was kissing the jersey logo and making a "shhh" motion. Is that really worthy of front-page news?

Zipperfish @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:01 am

DanSC DanSC:
Not to mention the USA has Title IX, meaning every other nation is a few generations away, at best, to matching the American women in international athletic competition.

Also, I'm re-reading the article, and it sounds like Ms. Leroux's crime was kissing the jersey logo and making a "shhh" motion. Is that really worthy of front-page news?

Well, when you're talking national sensibilities, it doesn't take much. Like I said--not much class on her part, but no need for us to take the bait.

I've no idea what Title IX is.

xerxes @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:03 am

It's a us law that ensures equal funding for girls sports. Or something like that.

Also Fwiw, Leroux is saying the abuse wasn't from the recent game in Toronto but from last years Olympic qualifiers in Vancouver.

Zipperfish @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 am

xerxes xerxes:
It's a us law that ensures equal funding for girls sports. Or something like that.

Also Fwiw, Leroux is saying the abuse wasn't from the recent game in Toronto but from last years Olympic qualifiers in Vancouver.

Whatever--seems awfully convenient to bring it up now. Throws the press hounds off the scent, I guess. I can't even tell what race she is.

Zipperfish @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:20 am

And meanwhile in Quebec, apparently they have, rather inexplicably, extended a ban on turbans in soccer, though they will allow hijabs, or hajibs or whatever.

jj2424 @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:43 am

xerxes xerxes:

Canadian woman's soccer fans have got to be the worst. Always crying and sniveling over nothing, getting upset over someone showing some national pride :lol:

It's part of the Canadian identity ..."I am not an American"!

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:00 am

jj2424 jj2424:
It's part of the Canadian identity ..."I am not an American"!

That little paradigm always amazes me.

Too many Canadians are afflicted with the leftist, anti-nationalist infection that makles them think there's something wrong with someone who says, "I'm proud to be a Canadian!" but then it's perfectly fashionable to define oneself by what they are not.

It matters more to me what people are and it is irrelevant what they are not.

I guess that means a lot of Canadian leftists are irrelevant to me. :wink:

Lemmy @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:05 am

It's a shame that the defining characteristic that measures a person's relevance (worth?) in your mind is where they fall on the political spectrum, as opposed to things like honesty, character, compassion, integrity, industry, creativity, skill, ability, artistry, etc.

xerxes @ Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:22 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
And meanwhile in Quebec, apparently they have, rather inexplicably, extended a ban on turbans in soccer, though they will allow hijabs, or hajibs or whatever.

Very inexplicable and perplexing. The CSA has said they're ok as well as the other provincial soccer associations. FIFA is ok with them too.

1  2  Next