Canada Kicks Ass
Moderation forum is no longer accessible

rearguard @ Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:48 am

It has come to my attention that since the move to CKA, the moderator forum where article deletions and membership bannings are announced is no longer available for general viewing and contribution.

Hopefully something can be done about this, since I thought that allowing everyone to see the reasoning behind deletions and bannings helped keep Vive's management in check against frivolous and unfair actions, and more importantly to hopefully demonstrate the integrity of Vive's moderation and editorial team when such actions had to be undertaken.

My suggestion is to keep the moderation forum private for internal discussion among moderators, but when actions are undertaken, there should be a forum thread available with the actions and reasoning behind them posted, and also allowing for the general membership to make comments as they see fit.

Having the moderation team publicly justify their actions and take a possible beating for it may be seen as an inconvenience to the moderators, but IMHO it's a very important service to the membership.

Thanks for considering my suggestion,

RG

Dr Caleb @ Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:00 pm

I had no idea. Sorry, but I don't have the ability to change that. I'll PM Trevor.

Canadaka @ Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:45 pm

sorry, i didn't realise it was meant to be public, it's fixed now.

should non-mods be able to post replies in the forum at all?

Dr Caleb @ Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:23 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
sorry, i didn't realise it was meant to be public, it's fixed now.

Yes, that was the way we used to have it, was so people could critique our decisions. Saves having to open a new thread to discuss moderation decisions, should any arise.

I think the only 'private' area was for 'The Board'.

Thanks Trev.

rearguard @ Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:31 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:

As long as the discussion is on topic and reasonable, I don't see why not. For example, I can recall one instance where a moderator's decision was overturned with the help of a public discussion.

rearguard @ Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:57 pm

Just so you know, the moderator forum is now viewable, but locked out from postings - hope that will change.

I wanted to make a suggestion on how to test out if an account deactivation will or will not delete all the accounts posts - just create a new test account make a couple test posts, then deactivate and see what happens to the test posts.