Canada Kicks Ass
a year in the Arctic

1  2  3  Next

ziggy @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:17 am

A small compilation of some of the video's I have taken over the last year working in Nunavut.

It has nunavuts longest road,wolves,explosions,planes buzzing me,choppers,blizzards,big iron,11 foot thick ice roads,views from my tent at -80(windchill) and some good canadian tunes.

No trees there though. Enjoy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOqEY8pUW90[/youtube]

Brenda @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:39 am

Beautiful Zig! It certainly takes a special kind of people to be able to do this work, and share it with us the way you do.

So empty there... Don't you have the feeling when you are there you are just nothing? That nature is so overwhelming, you feel insignificant? Maybe humble is a better word though!

ziggy @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:49 am

Brenda Brenda:
Beautiful Zig! It certainly takes a special kind of people to be able to do this work, and share it with us the way you do.

So empty there... Don't you have the feeling when you are there you are just nothing? That nature is so overwhelming, you feel insignificant?
The desolation is beautifull.The nothingness is quite overwhelming,such a big bloody country,hard to imagine untill you fly over it.

As one of the only originals left from last year I can tell within a few minutes if any noobs will make a second tour or even finish their first one,attitudes and ego's have to be left at home. Everyone has to work eat and sleep together so you need teamwork.Everyones equal and its not surprising to see one of the biologists or geologists changing bags in the outhouse or shoveling snow if it needs to be done.

ziggy @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:59 am

lily lily:
As always.... beautiful.
Tried to get some trees in there but none to be found. :wink:

ziggy @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:05 am

Second comment on youtube was from an American saying it was too long(short attention span) and had shitty music(the hip) but was a change from my other videos of crushing things and running them over. Kinda lost me there. :roll:

Brenda @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:14 am

ziggy ziggy:
Second comment on youtube was from an American saying it was too long(short attention span) and had shitty music(the hip) but was a change from my other videos of crushing things and running them over. Kinda lost me there. :roll:

ROTFL

Guess he must be some city guy... No time to sit and enjoy the emptyness of the Arctic

ziggy @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:19 am

Brenda Brenda:
ziggy ziggy:

ROTFL

Guess he must be some city guy... No time to sit and enjoy the emptyness of the Arctic
Well I checked out his video's and there all stolen music vids. I am going to do a crush video,was thinking of my cel phone getting pounded into the ground by the digging bucket on the big 350 hoe,or longlining my cel over lake Tehake and letting it go.dont know if I can find a pilot to do that yet. I do want to crush something though,too bad my home pc is too heavy to take back with me.

ziggy @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:24 am

lily lily:
Too long? A year in the Arctic.... and 4 minutes is too long?
It's 8 and a half minutes,your thinking of the first draft,I had a longer one with more blasts and blizzards but it was rejected by youtube as too long.

ziggy @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:27 am

Oh,and the guy giving the salute is Henry Ford who worked all his life in a GM plant and is now retired and plying his carpentry skills in camp.He also runs one of the art centers and is the guy to talk to for caribou furs and other Innuit arts and crafts.

ziggy @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:41 am

I did it in Window's movie maker,you can add clips,cut them into portions and drag them anywhere in the storyline.Adding a song takes about 30 seconds.Thats my first and second one useing that program so I havent figured out all the effects available yet.I got about 40 blasts going to put on my next one along with a huge rock failure I happened to be filming at the time it failed.It even made the discovery channell as it revealed one of BC's biggets dino print finds. Im also going to do one on just choppers long lining everything from snowmobiles to tents and the worlds largest magnetometer(think thats what it is).With any luck at all I will get some real good footage in the chopper next week flying back....I have a plan. :wink:

ziggy @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:06 am

lily lily:
My favourite part in that video was near the end during a blast. After, you turned the camera around to show all the guys watching, just like little boys.

It's moments like that that show what being up there is all about.

I think so, anyway. ;)
Think that blast was on Canada day,we have to have everyone not involved mustered in one spot so thats why the crowd and they all treat it as a big show.Theres someone there from every province in Canada.There may even be some experts there who have done peer prieviewed studies,hard to tell because everyone just dresses to stay warm,they all look the same. :lol: I can pick out the bug guy,fish guy,and the guy from Scotland that does the deep water siesmic all over the world.Think theres a ceo or two there also.

You should see the blast crew when they trigger a shot,they howl like dogs and jump up and down.Guess its like sex,takes two days to pack the dynamite in the holes and all for a couple seconds of excitement when they pull the pin.Then its all over,they light a smoke and get tired. :roll:

ziggy @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:24 am

At any rate I made it for others to enjoy,my father in Arizona who I never see,my chopper bud I met this spring,a few radio techs that service all the remote camps in the Arctic,an otter pilot who continually amazes me with his takeoff and landing techniques,and anyone else who has never been there. Wish I could have got the fox in there.

and I'll take the comment about the Tragically Hip from the American with a grain of salt,I can think of nothing but the song Thompson girl when I fly there or churchill.

ziggy @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 am

ziggy ziggy:
At any rate I made it for others to enjoy,my father in Arizona who I never see,my chopper bud I met this spring,a few radio techs that service all the remote camps in the Arctic,an otter pilot who continually amazes me with his takeoff and landing techniques,and anyone else who has never been there. Wish I could have got the fox in there.

and I'll take the comment about the Tragically Hip from the American with a grain of salt,I can think of nothing but the song Thompson girl when I fly there or churchill.

Grrrrr!

An American says
$1:
8 minutes is too long to hold my interest...as far as this goes anyway.. and the music i don't care for at all...but nice to see you are expanding...was getting kinda tired of seeing things being crushed, run over, etc.

The bitch even gave me a -2 rateing :(

ziggy @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:13 am

Brenda Brenda:
ziggy ziggy:

ROTFL

Like the guy that insists there's a forest there. :roll:

Brenda @ Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:24 am

ziggy ziggy:
Brenda Brenda:
ziggy ziggy:

ROTFL

Like the guy that insists there's a forest there. :roll:

You're still pissed about that, aren't ya? :lol: (Although pissed might not be the right word, I'm sure you know what I mean ;-))

1  2  3  Next