Canada Kicks Ass
Any residents of The Yukon?

1  2  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Wed May 23, 2007 3:55 am

I was just offered a position in The Yukon that would have me spending my time between Dawson City, Whitehorse and everything in between on the Klondike Highway. What's the area like for amenities, shopping and recreation? More importantly how freaking cold does it get?

Regina @ Wed May 23, 2007 6:35 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
I was just offered a position in The Yukon that would have me spending my time between Dawson City, Whitehorse and everything in between on the Klondike Highway. What's the area like for amenities, shopping and recreation? More importantly how freaking cold does it get?
8O 8O

Let's just say you won't be teaching in flip-flops.........but it's a dry cold. :lol: Their winter would be about a month longer plus than it is in Winnipeg.

fatbasturd @ Wed May 23, 2007 7:40 am

$1:

I was just offered a position in The Yukon that would have me spending my time between Dawson City, Whitehorse and everything in between on the Klondike Highway.
Are you going to be the new guy who is picking up all the frozen "road kill" 8O

ziggy @ Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:21 am

well,lets see,how cold do's it get.These are from march.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:28 am

fatbasturd fatbasturd:
$1:

I was just offered a position in The Yukon that would have me spending my time between Dawson City, Whitehorse and everything in between on the Klondike Highway.
Are you going to be the new guy who is picking up all the frozen "road kill" 8O

Naw, that's a cheap way to fill the freezer with meat. The job does involve roads though.

ziggy @ Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:33 am

Not much difference working in -45 or -80. What takes an hour on a nice day will take you a day in the north.Yellowknife is a bit warmer then where im at but winters are still brutal.Within 5 minutes your eyes are froze together and ice starts building up on any facial hair.The snows not bad,just the wind,2 cm's of snow will create a blizzard,then the wind shifts and it all blows back the other way in another blizzard.I can handle the cold but the winds are a killer.

One thing I like about the North is the people,thats one of the reasons I keep going back,that and the desolation at times,it has a beauty all its own,and right now its daylight 24/7 :wink:

Prices are expensive,a big crunch at the Baker lake KFC go's for $11.49,a liter of dasanti will cost $5.00,cheaper in Yellowknife but not much.

Go for it,you wont be sorry.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:42 am

When we were up in north eastern Manitoba, 4 litres of milk cost $11.65. KFC (Cree Crack) was almost triple, what it costs in the south. The Northern Store (We sale shit and srew you at the cash out) had it flown in from Thompson.

ziggy @ Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:55 am

When we were up in north eastern Manitoba, 4 litres of milk cost $11.65. KFC (Cree Crack) was almost triple, what it costs in the south. The Northern Store (We sale shit and srew you at the cash out) had it flown in from Thompson.

The KFC was in the northern store,think it was the only one I ever saw that sold smokes on the side.I have only seen the airport in Thompson as its one of the stops on the milk run,I hear Churchill has a cool museum but havent been stranded there yet so will have to wait to see it.Hard to believe theres no roads into either of those 2 places.

After a month and a half up there Im allways looking forward to eating "Calm air pretzels" again. :lol:

ziggy @ Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:16 am

heh

Banff @ Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:17 am

I've heard a rumor that Canadians live in igloos and everything is shipped from the US , and the diet is mostly seal and of course a Tim Hortons in WhiteHorse .

ziggy @ Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:52 pm

Banff Banff:

I've heard a rumor that Canadians live in igloos and everything is shipped from the US , and the diet is mostly seal and of course a Tim Hortons in WhiteHorse .

You mean iglu's. :wink:

BartSimpson @ Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:00 pm

I have a guy I support who lives "near" a town called Deline - near means he's 40 klicks out in BFE. His bugaboo is he's my only SAS user because he's on a satellite uplink while all the rest of the company is on VPN. I don't know much about him other than that he writes reams and reams of code.

ziggy @ Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:11 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I have a guy I support who lives "near" a town called Deline - near means he's 40 klicks out in BFE. His bugaboo is he's my only SAS user because he's on a satellite uplink while all the rest of the company is on VPN. I don't know much about him other than that he writes reams and reams of code.

Deline in the territories?

Thats waaaaaaaaay northwest of Yellowknife. On Great bear lake.No cel phones there for sure.

Yogi @ Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:49 pm

GO FOR IT SHEP!

I lived in Northern B.C. for several years and have been up through Watson, Dawson and Whitehorse a couple of times. Some years ago spent a couple of months travelling around these areas and on through to Alaska.
Truly is God's Country! Dawson is all history.Very well preserved. Whitehorse is a city and has enough amenities to live comfortable year round.McKenzie Hotsprings are about 10 min out of town.Salmon fishing right in town.I can't say enough good stuff about the Yukon. About the only drawback that comes to mind are the skeeters. They really are big and if ...WHEN you get bit... you damn well know it! I got a lot of pics from up there but I'm sure you can find a lot on the 'net.

wildrosegirl @ Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:02 pm

Yogi Yogi:
GO FOR IT SHEP!

I lived in Northern B.C. for several years and have been up through Watson, Dawson and Whitehorse a couple of times. Some years ago spent a couple of months travelling around these areas and on through to Alaska.
Truly is God's Country! Dawson is all history.Very well preserved. Whitehorse is a city and has enough amenities to live comfortable year round.McKenzie Hotsprings are about 10 min out of town.Salmon fishing right in town.I can't say enough good stuff about the Yukon. About the only drawback that comes to mind are the skeeters. They really are big and if ...WHEN you get bit... you damn well know it! I got a lot of pics from up there but I'm sure you can find a lot on the 'net.

What do you know of the specifics of the town, Yogi? (Whitehorse)

I've just been doing some surfing and there isn't a lot for resources on the net.

General stats, etc., but nothing to really give a clear picture of what living there would be like.

1  2  Next