Canada Kicks Ass
Beauty of the Beast

Strutz @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:13 am

$1:
Cheetahs are the fastest runners on the planet. Combining the resources of National Geographic and the Cincinnati Zoo, and drawing on the skills of a Hollywood action movie crew, we documented these amazing cats in a way that’s never been done before. Using a Phantom camera filming at 1200 frames per second while zooming beside a sprinting cheetah, the team captured every nuance of the cat’s movement as it reached top speeds of 60+ miles per hour. The extraordinary footage that follows is a compilation of multiple runs by five cheetahs during three days of filming.

Watch the video in full-screen. Fantastic!

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/11/20/beauty-of-the-beast/?source=hp_dl3_newswatch_cheetah_video201320121129

raydan @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Economy of motion... notice how the head and body move very little, even at high speed.

Nice, Strutz.

Robair @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Next time your going down the highway at 100 - 105 km/h, look over at the ditch whipping by and imagine one of these keeping right up.

Those things are awesome! Nice find.

Hyack @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Some years ago on the Dog Creek/Jesmond road I had a great honking wolf pacing me about 25 feet off the road, I wasn't going much more than 30 mph and the wolf was just loping along, no great speed but it was definitely impressive.....too bad it was prior to video cameras. And then there was the bear cub rolling down the slope on the side of the road and doing a faceplant 10 feet in front of me.....or the black bear 20 feet away from where I was sitting, munching down on Blueberries totally oblivious to everything else until I said hey....or the big old Black bear sunning himself in the middle of the dirt road on Vancouver Island.....or the.......... :roll: :roll:

Regina @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Reminds me of myself when I was young after payday.............then hitting the bars. :lol:

raydan @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:54 pm

Regina Regina:
Reminds me of myself when I was young after payday.............then hitting the bars. :lol:

I preferred hitting on the ladies, but hell, to each their own. 8O

Hyack @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 pm

raydan raydan:
Regina Regina:

I preferred hitting on the ladies, but hell, to each their own. 8O

And now we have a cougar story, ray, please expand..... :lol:

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:06 pm

The unfortunate thing about cheetahs is that they are going extinct. Not totally our fault either, but just a natural process due to over specialization. We had Al Oeming bring his cheetah to our school, amazing animal. He told the story of how they used to take it for a run along the side of a highway.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... /40791.htm

Hyack @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:55 pm

That's been the byline since the beginning of time, adapt or die. All those who cannot change or adapt to an ever changing world are doomed to extinction, even if it takes hundreds or thousands of years. It has been and always will be the survival of the fittest.