Canada Kicks Ass
Cyclists: Shaving Makes You Faster

raydan @ Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:16 pm

$1:
That's right. Some Specialized engineers have proven that shaved legs are faster than furry ones. So next time your girlfriend hassles you about your shiny calves, tell her science is on your side.

$1:
Good news, gentleman cyclists. The next time someone asks why you shave your legs, simply flex your bald calf muscles and say, "Science."

Last week, Specialized Bicycle Components released a video claiming shaved legs are significantly faster than furry ones. How much faster? They provide almost as much of an advantage as switching from a round-tube frame to an aero-style one, says Mark Cote, who does aerodynamics R&D for the California-based manufacturer.

“We were shocked,” says Cote. “The numbers dropped so much it set my bullshit meter off. I had to immediately check the equipment to make sure it was real.”

Specialized opened its “Win Tunnel” in May 2013 as an on-site space to test the aerodynamics of its products—not the aerodynamics of body hair. (As far as we know, Specialized has no plans to move into the shaving market, though we have to say “The Shiv” would be a great name for a carbon-fiber razor.)

But in January, pro triathlete Jesse Thomas showed up for a tunnel testing session. It had been almost a year since his last race and his manscaping habits had gone into 1970s territory. “I only shave before races because Lauren doesn’t like it,” says Thomas, referencing his pro-runner wife Lauren Fleshman. “I don’t know if she actually doesn’t like it or if she’s just saying that to make me feel better because I’m kind of a hairy guy."

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ge ... aster.html

Delwin @ Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:34 pm

Shaving the berries can up the rpm's as well. True story...

Jabberwalker @ Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:38 pm

Why not wax instead? You should be able to go fast like a Brazilian.

wildrosegirl @ Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:01 pm

In your Lululemon bike shorts. PDT_Armataz_01_32

Jabberwalker @ Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:04 pm

... and a metrosexual man purse!

wildrosegirl @ Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:20 pm

On sale this week at Walmart - 2 for 1 broziers and manties!