Canada Kicks Ass
Fly Fishing and Fly Tying

1  2  3  4  5 ... 9  Next

QBC @ Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:06 pm

I would imagine that a few people on the site Fly Fish. I know Hyack does. Here are a couple fly patterns I've been working on to try this spring for Pike....

Yogi @ Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Nice work. Dad used to 'tie & fly', but it's not something I got into. Gave most of his tying supplies away though I do still have some of his flies.

wildrosegirl @ Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:59 am

You should try it. I just started last spring and it's a lot of fun. :D

QBC @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:53 am

Yogi Yogi:
Nice work. Dad used to 'tie & fly', but it's not something I got into. Gave most of his tying supplies away though I do still have some of his flies.

I got into it when I was about 12-13ish. My Dad bought me my first fly rod and it wasn't long after that I started tying. Once I got the basic techniques down, I soon realized that it was far more satisfying to catch fish on flies you tied yourself and then even more so when it was a fly you designed yourself.

With moving to Alberta and trying to catch all new species from what I was used to in BC, I've found the learning of an entire new side of fly tying and fishing to be very enjoyable. Going from trying to imitate the different invertebrates that trout feed on to the primarily minnow diet of Walleye and Pike, I've had to learn an entirely new natural food chain. I've never tied so many streamer patterns as I have in the last year.

Gunnair @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:55 am

Nice looking flies, Q. I used to do some fly fishing as a kid, but got out of it. I started fishing again last year with my son, mostly spinning and casting, but I might be tempted to take up fly fishing again.

martin14 @ Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:01 am

Nice flies QBC.. let us know they work. ;)

Saffron @ Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:49 am

Hmmm....this might be the perfect venue to ask what I've been so curious about. I have a cottage on a lake, which seems to contain only one kind of fish. Pike. Big pike. We have all kinds of residents and visitors fishing, but everyone just throws them back. Are pike unfit for human consumption?
I actually enjoy fishing, but there seems to be little point if I can't eat what I catch.

Regina @ Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:39 am

I don't know anything about fly tying in fact they look sort of like belly button fluff with a hook. But the picture and colours are amazing. 8O

QBC @ Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Couple more Pike/Pickerel flies I've worked up. Just a slight variation on the pattern. Similar to the first pics, but new materials. Rosie and I will just have to find out what work better. Me thinks those big toothy critters are going to slam these.. :wink:

angler57 @ Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 am

Saffron Saffron:
Hmmm....this might be the perfect venue to ask what I've been so curious about. I have a cottage on a lake, which seems to contain only one kind of fish. Pike. Big pike. We have all kinds of residents and visitors fishing, but everyone just throws them back. Are pike unfit for human consumption?
I actually enjoy fishing, but there seems to be little point if I can't eat what I catch.

Am sure others will say differently. We all have different taste.
To me they are great.
Don't understand how pike are put together. They have what I call a second set of ribs. Makes cleaning a bit tricky.
Being an outlander am sure folks your way are more knowledgable than I.
To me they are excellent eating.
My first ever encounter with a northern was interesting.
While unhooking him he dropped into my kayak.
If anyone was watching? Sure it was a show. Fish did end up in a fryin pan.

QBC @ Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:35 am

As with any fish, in my opinion, the big ones are not the good eating fish. I wouldn't kill a 30 lbs Pike and fillet it. I'd take a nice 6-7 pound fish for eating. My favorite size trout for the table in 1-3 pounds. Pike are good eating as long as they are out of nice clean, cool water. You may not want to eat one out of a shallower lake in lets say August, they'll have a muddy taste, as all fish will in late summer. (Again, unless they are out of a nice deep, cold lake)

Take a nice one in May or June, pull into shore, batter up the fillets in a good beer batter and take part in one of the worlds best meals, shore lunch. (Don't forget the potatoes and onions to fry up as well... :wink: )

Lemmy @ Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:52 am

Absolutely true for walleye as well. The ideal eating size are about 3lb-ers (around 20 - 24"). Catch and release the bigger ones to populate the species.

angler57 @ Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:11 pm

QBC QBC:
As with any fish, in my opinion, the big ones are not the good eating fish. I wouldn't kill a 30 lbs Pike and fillet it. I'd take a nice 6-7 pound fish for eating. My favorite size trout for the table in 1-3 pounds. Pike are good eating as long as they are out of nice clean, cool water. You may not want to eat one out of a shallower lake in lets say August, they'll have a muddy taste, as all fish will in late summer. (Again, unless they are out of a nice deep, cold lake)

Take a nice one in May or June, pull into shore, batter up the fillets in a good beer batter and take part in one of the worlds best meals, shore lunch. (Don't forget the potatoes and onions to fry up as well... :wink: )

Wish I had said that. Well said. Add a super cold lemonade to that.
Now my fishin buddy would also say beer. And, sure he would be correct also.
With our shallow ponds and 90f temps. Often as early as late June early July fish soon get the taste you mentioned.

wildrosegirl @ Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:50 pm

Saffron Saffron:

The biggest problem people have with pike is they're very boney. Master the art of removing the bones while filleting (an art that I have not developed, but my grandmother is an absolute master of), and you have excellent table fare.

As the others said though - cold water is a MUST. As soon as it gets warm, they get muddy tasting and the meat gets kinda mushy.

angler57 @ Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Can dress a crappie or perch in less than a minute. Have no idea how long for a pike.
Very long time. The only pike I have caught have been with buzz-baits using ultra-lite. Have not caught that many. All were about six pounds. Now we let them tow the kayak until they wear out.
Only take enough fish for a fry-up return the rest.

1  2  3  4  5 ... 9  Next