Canada Kicks Ass
Survival tips

Previous  1  2

bootlegga @ Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:31 pm

raydan raydan:
I like... but if you're one of those people who can't get a fire started with your matches when it's windy, maybe you shouldn't be going out in the woods. 8O

That's one of the reasons I hate Survivor - 99% of the contestants would be among the dead if they ever were in a survival situation.

If they were honest, they would just call it High School Clique show.

Hyack @ Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:25 pm

Hyack Hyack:
Twila2 Twila2:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

In my tinder box, I keep a flint & magnesium firestarter, and a chunk of old blue jeans denim. Hack a bit off, fray the edges and hit it with a spark from the flint and it will ignite every time. Unless it's wet. Then you need magnesium shavings.

old blue jeans you say....think I'll put a piece that in my backpacking gear. Thanks!

If you use denim material, it would be best to char the material first, then keep in a sealed plastic bag along with your magnesium and flint and steel or modern fire starter kits.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
My bug bag has highway flares for starting fires. Those things will spark up even in a frickin' hurricane. :wink:

Agree 100% but they are somewhat bulky for a "survival" type kit.... :idea:

BartSimpson @ Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Hyack Hyack:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
My bug bag has highway flares for starting fires. Those things will spark up even in a frickin' hurricane. :wink:

Agree 100% but they are somewhat bulky for a "survival" type kit.... :idea:

I know. Back in the day I was one of the gearheads who'd head out with an 80kg pack because you never know what you're going to need. Old habits die hard. The only nod I'm making to the I'm too old for this sh*t paradigm is that the backpack has been updated with a piece of rolling luggage that doubles as a pack. :wink:

I've got two of these at home, one for me and one for Mrs. Bart. She's responsible for hauling her own kit.

I've also got two (smaller versions) at a friend's place just in case of a flood or some event that prevents us from getting home because you always have a backup plan. :idea:

Previous  1  2