Canada Kicks Ass
Canadaka's Trans Canada Road Trip!

1  2  Next

Canadaka @ Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:41 pm

I have been very fortunate to have traveled so much and im still a young (just) 24. See here to places I’ve traveled:
http://www.canadaka.net/modules.php?nam ... ic&t=10752

But sadly I have not traveled in Canada much, just many places in BC, and Edmonton and Calgary.

But I want to change this!

That’s why this summer I am planning on going on trans Canada Road Trip, Vancouver to St.Johns.

I plan on making this a documented trip and feature it on www.canadaka.net

I also want to line-up places to stay all along the route and meet lots of Canadaka.net members and =CKA= members.

Its still many months off, but I think I need to start planning early.

It will probably be me and possible my girlfriend. I don't know if any of my friends here could get the time off work.

So might be able to take on a passenger for parts of the trip.

If you think you might be able to put me up for a night or 2 wherever you might be let me know. Also could just meet up, show me around your area. When we traveled Europe we were part of a program called global freeloaders. We stayed for free with people across Europe, it was a lot of fun. You get too meet cool people and they always showed you around. I think it will be like that.

Since this is my Canada trip I wanna do lots of good ol Canadian stuff, see lots of sights, historical stuff all that jazz.

I will try to bring a bunch of CKA swag to sell and give away.

Arctic_Menace @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:24 am

Come see me in Ottawa dude. :wink:

twister @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:48 am

Trev.. why don't you do it in pure "old school" travel style. take a month get a Can Rail pass ( thats what I did when I was 19) Or fly out to Halifax and Train back.. a rail pass will allow you to get off the train and stay for a couple of days in places,, then hop the next coach coming through. It absolutely rocks cause the people you meet could be canadians or tourists experiencing train travel in Canada.. most fun ever.

Hell you should document it by web video... could be some federal funding in there for you.... bringing Canada together.. good exposure for the site... Talk to your MP....
Places to see... Halifax.. Peggys Cove. Fredricton, Moncton. ( if you get a chance to get to the Rock and PEI.. ( cape breton too) thats a vacation in itself. Quebec City ( is absolutely beautiful) Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Sudbury ( get a picture with the giant nickle ( like one of my players below).. Toronto ( glass and steel.. ( more importantly got to a bar just outside oakville.. burlington I think.. it's in an old house on the lake.. ( can't remember the place.. but it rocked) Kenora and lake country. Winnipeg Portage La prairie, Brandon, Regina, saskatoon, moose Jaw, Medicine Hat, Calgary Edmonton ( red Deer just because)... Jasper / Banff lake louise ( take a week here) Kamloops ( kelowna) and the lower mainland.. then Vancouver island......

Wullu @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:08 am

Enjoy your trip bud. I have crossed the country twice by car and it is just an amazing experience. Just remember that can't really just tie the stearing wheel down in the prairies. :wink:

Canadaka @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:20 am

I thought about the train.. but I figure Canada isn't really friendly to tourists on foot, once you get to a place its hard to get around, your restricted... If I have a car I can go anywhere.

I do plan on taking video and many pictures on the trip and putting it all on the site.

ROCKaMIC @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:02 am

Great!! Maybe I'll see you in Quebec. Take as many pictures as you can :D

Regina @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:08 am

Unfortunately the train won't let you get off at all the places you want to see. It doesn't go through all cities either, it's routing is now a few hundred kilometres north of here.

bossdog @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:15 am

This is how it should be done! I knew most of the members from this exercise...

$1:
Exercise Mercury Trek 2003
The team

The year 2003 marks 100 years of remarkable achievements and sacrifices by the men and women communicators of the Army, Navy and Air Force. From the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic, military communications units, organizations and their many friends will be planning public and private Centennial events and celebrations.

In the spirit of the wartime despatch riders and as part of their contribution to the Centennial, twenty-one regular and reserve force members, supported by an 8-person support team from Canadian Forces’ signal units will cycle 7500 kilometers across Canada, 16 April to 1 July.

The national trek, officially dubbed Exercise Mercury Trek 2003 will see the team average about 140 kms per day and visit each provincial capital and our nations’s capital. In each provincial capital, in Ottawa and in Kingston, a remembrance ceremony will be held at a local cenotaph or memorial, where a Centennial Proclamation of Military Communications will be signed by the respective Lieutenant-Governor.

While the grueling trek will be a challenge to all members of the team, it will offer them an opportunity to experience our great nation from the open road, allow the team to meet the people we proudly serve, and serve to help increase Canadian’s appreciation of the contributions made by military communicators during the past 100 years.

dgthe3 @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:04 am

Maybe I'll see you if you think you might be around the Niagara/Hamilton region

bootlegga @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:29 pm

If you feel like coming to Edmonton again, we can go to Whyte Ave and have a drink or three...

bossdog @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:18 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
If you feel like coming to Edmonton again, we can go to Whyte Ave and have a drink or three...

PDT_Armataz_01_32 Been there a few times myself.

IcedCap @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:03 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

I was there for the Canada Day riot... I wasn't involved btw

Canadaka @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:56 pm

thats very nice and cool they did that boxxdog, lol im not looking to do that sorts thing, its just a Vacation really.

BEARsaysPLAY @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:11 pm

Hey Trevor, if your route is taking you through Sault Ste. Marie let me know!

Fair sized house, plenty of room here and you're welcome to stay for a few days.

While you're here I'll get you to do a live interview on BEARcast with me! :lol:

Actually, if you like, I'd be happy to carry bits and pieces of your adventure as a feature on my shows. That might be kind of cool!

Anyway, you know my email and MSN...come to think of it I think you might have my phone number still if you dig deep enough...lol. :lol:

Keep me posted.

ziggy @ Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:22 pm

Your taking the trans canada and not #3,shortest route,way less tourist's and much prettier scenery.You can allways blast off to #1 after Lethbridge.Bring your ski's,try out fernie's 19 feet of snow and 3 fresh last night.

I'm posting this from a laptop out in the middle of no-where with an aircard in my motorhome far from any internet access,how cool is that?

$40.00/month unlimited! :lol:

I feel I'm connected with the rest of the world again.

1  2  Next