Canada Kicks Ass
Planning a trip through the Rockies--helpful info?

1  2  Next

pineywoodslim @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I am an American from the state of Iowa, and will be making a trip through the Canadian Rockies this summer. I hitchhiked from Vancouver to Calgary in 1971 and thought it some of the most breathtaking scenery in North America, and would like for my wife to experience it. No, we are not hitchhiking in our dotage, lol.

Question--We will be traveling from Spokane WA up to Kamloops BC and then over to Calgary. I am a bit familiar with Revelstoke, Yoho, Glacier, and Banff National Parks, and we will be doing the usual tourist stuff of camping out and a bit of hiking. Outside of that, what would anyone recommend that would be off the beaten track in that neck of the woods? It would not have to be in the parks or necessarily on the TCH (be perfectly happy to go a 100km out of the way), just some out of the way places that someone could recommend--not necessarily nature related, historical, cultural, food, etc., anything would do.

We will also be returning to Iowa via Saskatchewan and Manitoba. No particular reason other than I have been to every province but those two. Anything interesting to look for from Calgary to Winnipeg?

Thanks.

Brenda @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:46 pm

How much time do you have?

pineywoodslim @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:00 pm

Two weeks from Spokane WA to back home.

In other words, about 12 days in the Rockies, and 2 days from Calgary back to Iowa.

jeff744 @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:05 pm

I was going to make a suggestion about when going through Saskatchewan to see a Riders game as we have a reputation for having the most fanatical fan base in the CFL but I guess that's out. Other than that is Shuswaps, amazing lake out in the middle of the mountains but you need a boat/houseboat to really explore it.

Unsound @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:18 pm

It may be a little too far out of your way, but if you have the time I highly recommend the drive from Banff to Jasper. Hwy 93, aka the Icefields Parkway, is absolutely spectacular.

Just watch out for crazy buggers on sport bikes :)

DVC185 @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:24 pm

Hiya Slim

If you are close to Kananaskis country and want to experience something different, check out http://www.sundancelodges.com/tipis.html

If you are in that neck of the woods, Drumheller is extremely interesting simply for the topography. All the dinosaur stuff is a bonus. And if you're there and "she who must be obeyed" is interested, a stop at the Doll Museum in Hanna may score you some serious points. And the Fox Lake campground in Hanna is quite relaxing.

In Saskatchewan, some really interesting sights in Moose Jaw if you are into Prohibition era stuff...look it up. http://www.tunnelsofmoosejaw.com/index.php?id=2

Then head south to Rouleau for the old set of the CTV hit series, Corner Gas. You'll know you're there when the silo says Dog River. LMAO!!! If you're not a fan of the show, you could probably skip it.

I'm sure Manitoba has some redeeming qualities but I haven't found them yet. All I know is that it takes 5 hrs and 20 minutes to cross it from east to west.

Unsound @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:28 pm

Drumheller is definatly worth a detour.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:28 pm

The prairies have a few sights that are worthwhile......Tyrell Badlands, Cypress Hills, RCMP/NWMP museum in Regina and Lower Fort Garry near Winnipeg...that's about it

Caelon @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:28 pm

I assume you have all the usual sites in your itinerary like Emerald lake,Takakaw Falls, Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Banff, etc on your list. You did not mention taking Highway 93 down to Radium or up to Jasper. The latter has a number of sites like Peyto Lake, Bow Glacier, Columbia Icefields, Athabasca Falls, etc. If you are into hiking then on the BC side of the Divide is the entrance to Lake Ohara. There is a lodge and camping area there and it is a short hike fro Lake Ohara over to Lake MacArthur. Two examples of high alpine lakes that are quite different. Depending on how much hiking or the required effort you are up to there are lots of sites up and down the Divide that most tourist and even locals never see.

fifeboy @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:32 pm

This guy has one word of advice:

I have two words of advice: Hot Springs

jeff744 @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:34 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
The prairies have a few sights that are worthwhile......Tyrell Badlands, Cypress Hills, RCMP/NWMP museum in Regina and Lower Fort Garry near Winnipeg...that's about it

Batoche is pretty awesome too.

Brenda @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:36 pm

Hot Springs near Nelson or Kimberley, hiking Red Mountain in Rossland, Penticton (if only for the beach), Drumheller and of course the regular that are already mentioned :)

pineywoodslim @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks everyone.

Nothing suggested is too far out of the way at all, and all your suggestions sound interesting, particularly the Icefields road. I was aware of that, but it had slipped my elderly mind.

Shoot, once I drove from San Francisco to New Orleans--3600 km--in 48 hr, but I was a young man then, lol.

I also appreciate the Prairies recommendations, and will check them out.

Jonny_C @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:57 pm

I second the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper. Beautiful drive and there are some interesting stops. Lake Louise and Valley of the Ten Peaks are very picturesque. Try the Jasper Gondola as well. From Jasper, if you head to Edmonton to do a circle route to Calgary, stop in at Miette Hot Springs.

If you forego the Icefields Parkway, drive down into Kannanaskis Country, down around Peter Lougheed Park and William Watson Lodge.

Drumheller and the Tyrell Museum are a must-see.

The Banff Gondola is very good as well. Beautiful view from the upper terminal.

BeaverFever @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Bc: hard to get it all in one trip, equally hard to go wrong. Aside from whats already obvious and been mentioned, consider the Okanagan and Osoyoos, Canada's only desert.

Alta: Drumheller, one of ( the?) world's largest dinosaur finds. Great museum there and AFAIK still active dig sites turning up bones and fossils.

Sask: Qu'appelle valley and Cypress Hills are great spots. Endless sky and prairie vistas abound across the province: amber waves of grain, purple seas of flax, yellow oceans of mustard and sunflower, ancient grain elevators, dusty farm towns, mennonites in horse and buggy.

Manitoba: like sask. Lol. Also the official geographic centre of North America has a monument on a turnout alongside of the TCH just west of Winnipeg, worth a photo stop.

USA: Little Big Horn, site of Custers last stand has a nice museum and you can walk battlefield trails. Watch out for rattlesnakes!

1  2  Next