Canada Kicks Ass
Things to see in Whitehorse and Carcross?

1  2  Next

BartSimpson @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:06 am

Any suggestions? I'm going to be up that way from the 12th to the 25th of May and it'd be nice to see something aside from the inside of a room and a bar!

[B-o]

Zipperfish @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:19 am

Northern Lights. Great comic book store. SS Klondike. Miles Canyon. Dirty I usually stay at the Best Western Gold Rush Inn--decent bar, close to downtown. There's a lot of dives in town so be careful where you are staying.

Cork and Bull is a nice place to eat if you're feeling like something above bar fare. The Dirty Northern is the best pub in town. Say hi to the mummified cat. Bean North is the best coffee in town. Great swimming pool at the Canada Games Centre. I'm up there 3 times a year usually.

DrCaleb @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:25 am

Who did you piss off to get sent up there? ;)

Well! One of my favourite places! The first thing is the flight in. The mountains are sort of a 'horseshoe' shape, and when you fly in you have to approach from the south, and take a hard hard left to make the runway from the north. If you are on the port side of the plane, you will only see the ground. The starboard side only sees sky. Kind of freaky the first time, but you get used to it and learn to embrace the terror. ;)

The 'SS Klondike' is a good one. It's an old paddlewheeler that was instrumental in the 1800's Gold Rush.

The Yukon Brewing company usually gives tours of the biggest northern brewery. :) My favourite brand too.

'Miles Canyon' walk is beautiful, and if you get some time there are hundreds of km of trails, so take comfortable shoes and tell the Wardens that you are going for a hike, even a day hike! (and plan for overnight!) A Japanese tourist got lost this past fall and was never heard from again. They didn't know she was missing for a week, because she didn't tell anyone she was going out! If an accident happens, you'll want a rescue party the next day.

Rent a bike! Take a horse back trip for a day! Take a sightseeing tour!

Whitehorse may be a 'city', but it's just as wild as any part of the world. A mile out your door may mean you are the only person for a mile, but not the only predator! But natural beauty is what it has in spades!

Do not go near the tent city along the river! Sort of on the west bank, northern most part of town. Lots of natives there. It's not fair to call them 'homeless', because that's the traditional way they live. But that area is the highest crime area, outside of a bank.

BeaverFever @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:31 am

Wow, so many exclamation marks in that last post, I'm going to propose this to the wife for the 2016 travel agenda! !!!!!!!!!

DrCaleb @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:35 am

You should! It's a beautiful place! Like Banff or Jasper, without all the tourists!

BartSimpson @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:41 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Who did you piss off to get sent up there? ;)

I quasi-volunteered to go! Lake Laberge has some possible seismic features and I'm going along to do the tech support as an array of GPS sensors gets deployed in the area. It's not my official purview anymore but I'm the one tech in the agency who has experience with government GPS.

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Well! One of my favourite places! The first thing is the flight in. The mountains are sort of a 'horseshoe' shape, and when you fly in you have to approach from the south, and take a hard hard left to make the runway from the north. If you are on the port side of the plane, you will only see the ground. The starboard side only sees sky. Kind of freaky the first time, but you get used to it and learn to embrace the terror. ;)

The 'SS Klondike' is a good one. It's an old paddlewheeler that was instrumental in the 1800's Gold Rush.

The Yukon Brewing company usually gives tours of the biggest northern brewery. :) My favourite brand too.

'Miles Canyon' walk is beautiful, and if you get some time there are hundreds of km of trails, so take comfortable shoes and tell the Wardens that you are going for a hike, even a day hike! (and plan for overnight!) A Japanese tourist got lost this past fall and was never heard from again. They didn't know she was missing for a week, because she didn't tell anyone she was going out! If an accident happens, you'll want a rescue party the next day.

Rent a bike! Take a horse back trip for a day! Take a sightseeing tour!

Whitehorse may be a 'city', but it's just as wild as any part of the world. A mile out your door may mean you are the only person for a mile, but not the only predator! But natural beauty is what it has in spades!

Do not go near the tent city along the river! Sort of on the west bank, northern most part of town. Lots of natives there. It's not fair to call them 'homeless', because that's the traditional way they live. But that area is the highest crime area, outside of a bank.

Thank you for the fine advice everyone! [B-o]

DrCaleb @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:54 am

[B-o] If you are going to Lake Laberge, take a camera, some extra memory for the camera and a bug jacket! The black flies will eat you alive otherwise.

martin14 @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:13 pm

I used to run a boat up through Whitehorse Rapids, at the top of the lake,
a very long time ago. :)

There is also a fish ladder in Whitehorse, longest in the world and worth a look.

If you can get some wheels Bart, take a drive south of Carcross down to Skagway.

It's a really pretty ride, and Skagway will give a real feel for the Gold Rush history.

Cruise ships stop in to boost the tourism, and they have ( or had )
a narrow gauge railway trip through the hills. Nice little trip.

Unless things have changed, stay away from the Kopper King bar.
It's a real shithole; I used to work there. :lol:

The other bars in town have probably all changed over the years.

BartSimpson @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:46 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
[B-o] If you are going to Lake Laberge, take a camera, some extra memory for the camera and a bug jacket! The black flies will eat you alive otherwise.

Thank you! THAT is most useful advice! [B-o]

Zipperfish @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:01 pm

One of my favourite Canadiana songs!

And the black flies, the little black flies,
Always the black fly no matter where you go;
I'll die with the black fly a-pickin' my bones,
In North Ontar-i-o-i-o, in North Ontar-i-o.

Thanos @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:17 pm

I'd be more impressed by a travel itinerary of Whitehorse and Carcosa instead. :twisted:

BartSimpson @ Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanos Thanos:
I'd be more impressed by a travel itinerary of Whitehorse and Carcosa instead. :twisted:

So would H.P. Lovecraft! :lol:

BartSimpson @ Tue May 26, 2015 8:43 am

Okay a few thoughts on my recent trip (in no particular order):

The Timmie's in Whitehorse is a suburb of Hong Kong. But the sandwiches are excellent!

I had never seen a "Real Canadian Superstore" before and it's nice to know that someone's ripping off Wal Mart! [B-o]

The trolley in Whitehorse is very clever! I like how the electric powered Birney car pushes its own gas-powered generator...very resourceful!

Whitehorse has a lot of white people. By white I mean the color! I have never seen so many pale skinned folks in my life! No one there gets any sun!

Lord love a duck the mosquitoes are bad! Blackflies were not so much an issue but the mosquitoes left me damned near anemic.

Carcross is kind of depressing. The tourist area is at one end of town and the ghetto is at the other. And can someone tear down the old, abandoned cabins? It's not quaint, it's a mess.

The crew at the spiffy new coffee shop in Carcross and the staff at the visitor center were awesome people! I especially liked "Dagmar" the German lady at the visitor center! She's got an awesome sense of humor! :D

Speaking of a mess, is it a law or something that every single rural home has to be surrounded by piles of crap and rusty cars and trucks?

The White Pass is jaw-droppingly beautiful! I'll be posting pix tomorrow!

Skagway. Meh.

Tutshi Lake was effin' gorgeous and I'm thrilled that we got to work in a number of places around it.

Lake Laberge was pretty and I wish I'd remembered my camera when we were up there for a few days. The deployment went well, by the way.

Richthofen Island was part of the focus on the trip. It's possibly risen about 2cm in the past ten years (or the readings from ten years ago were 2cm off) and thus the placement of the monitors to see if there's any actual activity going on. Lots of geeky geology chatter with the group I was with and the four probabilities they came up with are:

1. Nothing's going on. <-- This is the odds-on-favorite by a huge margin.
2. Not entirely unexpected glacial rebound.
3. A possibly unknown earthquake fault.
4. (This last one is extremely remote) An upwelling of magma under the area or an upthrust of the Pacific Plate under the area. Neither is considered to be a concern.

I also slipped down to Victoria last Wednesday and signed papers on our new condo on Douglas that looks out on Beacon Hill Park. :mrgreen:

While in Vic I took some pix of an interesting exercise involving one of your fine submarines and four or five RHIBs - which will be posted tomorrow.

[B-o]

DrCaleb @ Tue May 26, 2015 8:48 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Carcross is kind of depressing. The tourist area is at one end of town and the ghetto is at the other. And can someone tear down the old, abandoned cabins? It's not quaint, it's a mess.

. . .

Speaking of a mess, is it a law or something that every single rural home has to be surrounded by piles of crap and rusty cars and trucks?

Yes, it's how you know you are on a First Nations Reserve. Sad, but true. 2 cars, 1 with no wheels, and at least one fridge/freezer combination are required by Indian tradition. :(

martin14 @ Tue May 26, 2015 8:54 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Yes, it's how you know you are on a First Nations Reserve.

It was easy for the wife;

It's like gypsies, only with more money.

And welcome back Bart, congrats on buying another condo. [B-o]

1  2  Next