Canada Kicks Ass
Travel Pakistan :)

1  2  3  4  5 ... 15  Next

Fighter @ Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:38 am

By Ariba - Jan 18, 2017

Our beautiful Pakistan is home to the world’s 2nd largest mountain in the whole world.

The name K2 was given in 1852 by British surveyor T.G. Montgomerie with “K” designating the Karakoram Range and “2” since it was the 2nd peak listed. During his survey, Montgomerie, standing on Mt. Haramukh 125 miles to the south, noted two prominent peaks to the north, calling them K1 and K2.

1. The 2nd largest mountain in the world

K2 is the world’s second tallest mountain reaching 28,253 ft. (8,612 m) above sea level, and is the world’s twenty-second most prominent mountain, rising 13,179 ft. (4,017 m) above the surrounding terrain.

2. Night time view of the K2 mountain

The peak is located on the border that separates the Gilgit-Baltistan region in northern Pakistan and the Taxkorgan Tajik Autonomous County of Xinjiang, China.

3. A sky full of stars

K2 has also been nicknamed “The Savage Mountain” because of the extreme level of danger it poses to climbers.

4. Is this really Pakistan? Yes it is.

K2 has a fatality rate of about 25%, meaning that one out of every four climbers to attempt the summit have perished.

5. A magical view that you’ll get lost into

The first successful climb of K2 was led by Italian Ardito Desio in July of 1954, though only two members of the team Lino Lacedelli and Achille Compagnoni actually reached the summit.

6. Strong winds hitting the mountain

K2 has never been climbed during the winter, because of the extremely harsh weather conditions on the mountain.

7. Avalanche on K2

Numerous climbers made attempts to reach there including majority of American climbers, but remained unsuccessful.

8. The mystifying night sky

Climbing upto K2 has not been very successful, because K2 has limited numbers of tough and dangerous routes that can be used for climbing purposes.

9. The unbelievable shadow of K2

Another difficulty which comes in the way of a climber is the of lack of oxygen, as this mountain is at a extremely high altitude.

10. The colors are perfect

K2 offers a spectacular view of the surrounding Masherbrum, Trango Towers, Uli Biaho Tower, Muztagh Tower, and Grand Cathedral.

11. Godwin-Austen Glacier near K2

K2 is notable for its local relief as well as its total height. It stands over 3,000 metres (9,840 ft) above much of the glacial valley bottoms at its base. It is a consistently steep pyramid, dropping quickly in almost all directions.

12. The beauty of this mountain is beyond words

The year 1986 saw the death of 13 mountaineers while they attempted to climb K2. Few of these deaths were caused by avalanches, while others resulted from severe storms.

13. Dangerously beautiful

There are about 10 named routes on K2. When asked what is the easiest route, most people who have climbed K2, say simply there are no easy routes on K2.

14. Sunrise from concordia camp

The period between June and August is most favorable for ascending the K2, because the weather conditions are somewhat stable at that time.

15. A mountaineer on the K2 summit with our beautiful Pakistani flag

On 26 July 2014, the first team of Pakistani climbers scaled K2. There are six Pakistani and three Italian climbers in the expedition, called ‘K2 60 Years Later’, according to BBC. Previously, K2 had only been summited by individual Pakistanis as part of international expeditions.

Our beautiful Pakistan has some amazing views to offer. The nature here speaks for itself.

https://www.shughal.com/15-incredible-photos-of-k2-the-worlds-2nd-largest-mountain-in-pakistan/

Fighter @ Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:31 am

Polish Heading to K2 for First Winter Ascent Attempt

https://gripped.com/routes/polish-heading-k2-first-winter-ascent-attempt/

N_Fiddledog @ Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:44 am

Pretty.

To be honest, I didn't know K2 was in Pakistan. I always just assumed it was in Nepal or Tibet. I'd be surprised if I was the only one.

N_Fiddledog @ Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 am

Hey, just to be helpful to the noob... :wink:

Can I suggest you just post a single "Pakistan" topic to add info and news on the subject?

Wouldn't want people to start using the "S" word. (spam)

Using a single thread for the subject will save you some grief.

Sunnyways @ Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:29 am

Great pics, fighter.

Apparently, it’s the third deadliest of the great Himalayan peaks, far more dangerous than Everest.

http://www.mounteverest.net/story/stori ... 2004.shtml

http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 69997.html

Reinhold Messner climbed K2 without bottled oxygen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhold_Messner

Here’s the account of a similar ascent of Everest:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2237456/s ... sping-lung

An English mountaineer I know was climbing in the Alps when he was overtaken by Messner. He said Messner’s speed was incredible.

Fighter @ Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:53 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Pretty.

To be honest, I didn't know K2 was in Pakistan. I always just assumed it was in Nepal or Tibet. I'd be surprised if I was the only one.

Sir, actually it's not yours or others' fault who mistakenly believe K2 and all other mountain ranges lie in Nepal/Tibet...Our tourism department sucks in marketing and lags behind with its other counterparts in Nepal and India. Some constraints were out of our hand for sure regarding tourism but still...

Let me tell you little more about the subject/background which may help you to understand it better. I copied below excerpt from from wikipedia and another source.

The Himalayas, or Himalaya, form a mountain range in Asia separating the plains of the Indian subcontinent from the Tibetan Plateau. The Himalayan range has many of the Earth's highest peaks, including the highest, Mount Everest. While The Karakoram, or Karakorum is another large mountain range spanning the borders of Pakistan, India, and China, with the northwest extremity of the range extending to Afghanistan and Tajikistan. Third range is The Hindu Kush, also known in Ancient Greek as the Caucasus Indicus or Paropamisadae, in Pashto and Persian as هندوکش‬, is an 800-kilometre-long mountain range that stretches near the Afghan-Pakistan border.

Northern Areas of Pakistan which are endowed with most geographical features in the world. It is here that three great, lofty and spectacular mountain renages, Karakoram, Hindukush and Himalayas meet. In an area of about 500 kms in width and 350 kms in deph, is found the most dense collection of some of highest and precipitous peaks in the world, boasting more than 700 peaks above 6000 meters, and more than 160 peaks above 7000 meters.

These include five out of the total fourteen above eight thousand meters high peaks on earth, namely the second highest rock pyramid – the K2 (8611-M), the killer mountain Nanga Parbat (8125-M), the Hidden Peak Gasherbrum-I (8068-M), the Broad Peak (8051-M), and the Gasherbrum-II (8035-M).

This enormous mountain wealth makes Pakistan an important mountain country offering great opportunities for mountaineering and mountain related adventure activities. The area is aptly called a paradise for mountaineers, adventure seekers and nature lovers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps :)

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Hey, just to be helpful to the noob... :wink:

Can I suggest you just post a single "Pakistan" topic to add info and news on the subject?

Wouldn't want people to start using the "S" word. (spam)

Using a single thread for the subject will save you some grief.

Sir, this is wonderful suggestion. I wonder why I didn't think about it earlier [BB]

Basically, you're saying to post all Pakistan related news/updates under one section/thread so that people have an ease of reading it rather than browsing whole forum...I got it, will start working soon on it.

Thanks.

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
Great pics, fighter.

Apparently, it’s the third deadliest of the great Himalayan peaks, far more dangerous than Everest.

http://www.mounteverest.net/story/stori ... 2004.shtml

http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 69997.html

Reinhold Messner climbed K2 without bottled oxygen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhold_Messner

Here’s the account of a similar ascent of Everest:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2237456/s ... sping-lung

An English mountaineer I know was climbing in the Alps when he was overtaken by Messner. He said Messner’s speed was incredible.

Really? That is awesome. Lot of respect for Messner and other climbers who tried K2. There was an Irish climber as well, who climbed K2 successfully but I think he couldn't make it down. :( due to avalanche. As wikipedia describes:

Gerard McDonnell (20 January 1971 – 2 August 2008), mountaineer and engineer, was the first Irish person to reach the summit of K2,[1] the second-highest mountain on Earth, in August 2008. He lost his life along with 10 other mountaineers following an avalanche on the descent,[2] in the worst single accident in the history of K2 mountaineering.

Strutz @ Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing them!

Fighter @ Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:53 pm

Strutz Strutz:
Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing them!

Thank you, ma'am.

I will soon post more about Pakistan. Stay tuned. :)

Fighter @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 am

Hello from Pakistan...I hope you all people doing good and happy.

I am sharing with you guys the national anthem of Pakistan with lyrics - youtube video

Hope you'll guys like it.

Do tell me about your national anthem/flag :)

The flag of Pakistan: green color represents Muslims and white color represents Minorities :)

DrCaleb @ Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:20 am

I can actually say I don't think I've ever heard it before. Thanks! [B-o]

BRAH @ Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:06 am

Mother Russia! [B-o]

Fighter @ Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:13 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I can actually say I don't think I've ever heard it before. Thanks! [B-o]

:)

You're welcome, sir. I respect national anthems of all countries.

Let me post your national anthem 8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRAH BRAH:

Mother Russia! [B-o]

Great anthem you guys have ! Respect

DrCaleb @ Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:21 am

Fighter Fighter:
You're welcome, sir. I respect national anthems of all countries.

Let me post your national anthem 8)

That is our current one, but back in 1867, it was different.

I don't think this video could be any more Canadian. Anne Murray, singing "The Maple Leaf Forever", at the last Leafs game in the Gardens, with Lanny McDonald in the crowd. [hockey]

Fighter @ Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:43 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
That is our current one, but back in 1867, it was different.

I don't think this video could be any more Canadian. Anne Murray, singing "The Maple Leaf Forever", at the last Leafs game in the Gardens, with Lanny McDonald in the crowd. [hockey]

Sung with such passion. Fabulous.

Respect to her and country

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:53 am

The generation before ours sang that in school rather than O Canada. I remember as a kid on Friday assemblies, that we sang God save the Queen, The Maple leaf Forever and O Canada. Sometimes we even sang the Lord's Prayer set to music. The rest of the time it was just O Canada and the spoken Lord's Prayer(Protestant version) before classes began. That lasted right up to high school graduation in '84.

1  2  3  4  5 ... 15  Next