Canada Kicks Ass
Vancouver - Favourites?

1  2  Next

bootlegga @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:04 pm

My wife and I are heading out to the coast for a week (Vancouver and Victoria) in August and I was wondering if members here could suggest some favourites (places to eat, things to see, cool things to do, etc) of theirs.

Please avoid telling me about Gastown, Granville Island, Stanley Park, Capilano Park, Buchart Gardens, etc. as I've got guidebooks and Google to find the usual stuff.

What I'm hoping to learn about your favourite Chinese/Thai/Fusion/whatever restaurant. Or a cool place (like a little known museum or historical place) most tourists might not know about, and so on.

TattoodGirl @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:21 pm

The On Lok on Hastings and Victoria is a wicked Chinese Restaurant...you cant miss that, its a mainstay.

There are some great restaurants on Commercial...if you like BBQ, you CANNOT miss Memphis Blues...freaking fanfuckintastic!!!!

Do you wish to do hiking or anything?....

Beaches...I recommend, Centennial Beach in Tsawassen. It isnt crowded like, Kits, and it is gorgeous. When the tide is out you can walk for miles. Definately take a trip there and to Point Roberts USA while out that way...go for a beer at the Rose and Crown afterwards...again Mainstay.

My personal favourite pubs in Downtown Vancouver are the Irish Heather and of course the Cambie. The Cambie has got some damn history to it...its the only place you will see a dude with a Mohawk talking with a Dude in a suit about current events or watching the game together. My personal favourite pub in my area...The Lion....its like Cheers but not with the bad hair :lol:

you must check out the VAG...Vancouver Art Gallery....even if you dont go inside there is always something happening outside. On August 15th it will be Zombiewalk 2009...so if you are there, dont miss it.

Victoria I have my favs as well...Beacon Hill, the Sticky Wicket Pub...Love that place!!!

Oh and for strip clubs....Vancouver is definately the Cecil and the wife will feel comfortable...Victoria is the Fox.

Regina @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:49 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

What I'm hoping to learn about your favourite Chinese/Thai/Fusion/whatever restaurant.

[drool]
Oh I love that food too! I have to head out there in September for a week and love eat at some great places.

TattoodGirl @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:57 pm

I dont know if you guys like Korean BBQ but there is a wicked restaurant at 14th and Granville called Shabusen Yakiniku House....outstanding. For fusion I would say Red Door Pan-Asian Grill...deadly. Aziza and Sapphire South Asian are awesome as well. If you like Indian there is some amazing Indian restaurants as well...My fav in particular is in Delta called Desi Junction...Have the Chicken Korma...you will never go back to Butter chicken. It is also a great place to catch sports. Oh on the topic of Sports...you must check out Schanks at the Starlight...wicked or the Lion...my pub :lol:

Regina @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:20 pm

Think I'm staying at the Four Seasons.

TattoodGirl @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Regina Regina:

Sweet!!! party at your place!!! [B-o]

Brenda @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:23 pm

September huh? count me in! :lol:
(no, no need for an invite, I can let myself in :twisted:)

Regina @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:25 pm

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
Regina Regina:

Just the wet T-Shirt party! 8O

TattoodGirl @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:26 pm

Regina Regina:
TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
Regina Regina:

Just the wet T-Shirt party! 8O

YAY!!! so I get to firehose you? [drool] :lol:

Regina @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:30 pm

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
YAY!!! so I get to firehose you? [drool] :lol:

Ummmmmm.......no!! I'm in charge of "the" hose. 8O 8O :twisted:

SprCForr @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:45 pm

Centennial Beach - good call.

Canadaka @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:21 pm

I have been to Memphis Blues and Shabusen several times, both great. I'm not too much of a food connoisseur so i don't really have much recommendations. I'm the only person in Vancouver who doesn't like Susie, but i hear its really good here.

I do really like the "La Casa Gelato" though, Mmmmm

I know you said not to mention the touristy things, but my 2 favs are riding a bike along the entire Seawall, from Canada place, through coal harbour, around Stanley park, then along the beaches and all the way around false creek, the seawall is not open along the Olympic village so you can go all the way to kits. My second favorite is definatly not for everyone and many people hate it, but I love the Grouse Grind and the view from grouse. So much so that's where i'm getting married ;)

The Lynn Canyon Suspension bridge is nice and its free
http://www.dnv.org/ecology/see_do/see_do.html

Buntzen Lake is nice for a summer time dip, not too far of a drive.

Rent a Kayak from Deep Cove and paddle around or take a trip to the Marine Park islands up the Indian Arm, only takes an hour or so each way.

I'm not sure if you are interested in Outdoor activities like hiking and such? The Vancouver area has tons to offer.

I had a couple hours to kill today so I just wandered around Gastown and the downtown east side area, I always find it interesting, people are entertaining and weird to watch. This is not usually something a tourist would wanna do though.

I've always found Vancouver lacking for good museums, sure we have some, but compared to other cities it kinda sucks for that.

Scape @ Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Big Bad john's

Let me know, 1st rounds on me.

coaster_dot @ Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:14 am

Damn sounds like a fun CKA party :lol:

Maybe I can find a cheap flight or something :wink:

bootlegga @ Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks everyone!

1  2  Next